[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am making a 12000 x 8000 px art but Photoshop crashes and is

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: tumblr_o0zqkn8zyZ1qa53wno6_1280.jpg (138KB, 700x859px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o0zqkn8zyZ1qa53wno6_1280.jpg
138KB, 700x859px
I am making a 12000 x 8000 px art but Photoshop crashes and is slow at that time. Takes me 6GB of RAM just to have it open.

Is this normal? Are there programs that are more stable at very high resolution?
>>
>>3005439

No that's not normal.
>>
Did you raise the undo limit to 9999 or something because tumblr told you it was a good idea?
>>
>>3005447
no i have the default 50

>>3005445
should i get more RAM
>>
>>3005439
You have system issues, or you need to reinstall photoshop. That's only a 500meg file, I have working files for commercial jobs that are a gig. I've very rarely had Photoshop slow down or crash, but I'm working in machines with i7s, 16 gigs of ram and plenty of scratch space. A 500mg file should not need 6 gigs to open.

Also, why are you working on a file that big? At 72dpi, that's 166" x 111". At 300 dpi, that's 40x26". Why are you making such a big canvas?

11x17" @300 dpi is more than enough for anything you're working on. (3300x5100) That's a 90 meg file, and should be easy to run. If your computer is crashing, I'd look at the system, not photoshop, it can handle enormous files.

What processor do you run it on?
How much total system ram?
What OS?
What else are you running at the same time?
How much scratch disk have you given it? Do you even know what that is?

Pretty much, no, it's not normal. I've been using Photoshop professionally since version 2.5, and I used to have a job opening and editing 300meg scans - because of tech back then, this could take half an hour just to open. PS rarely crashed, if we had crashes it was almost always the OS or the HD.
>>
>12000x8000
Why do you need such a high resolution?

Also, it has nothing to do with the program but your computer's specs. It also depends on how many layers the file has, whether or not you're using a brush with texture, how large your brush size is, etc etc and background programs.

Basically, lower that resolution and/or upgrade your computer.
>>
>>3005455
I'm not OP, but the number you are giving seem really small. If you have a ton of layers then files can easily grow super heavy super fast. Also the bigger the file the better it is to paint on as things look better when downscaled. Guys like Mullins or Ruan Jia paint on canvases 10k or 20k wide.
>>
>>3005439
stop drawing with a toaster
>>
>>3005461
>Mullins & RJ paint at 20k
Is there a source on that? I knew that RJ in particular paints really big, but I didn't think he painted at 20k.
>>
>>3005461
>Also the bigger the file the better it is to paint on as things look better when downscaled.
There's a point where there's no difference, and all it does is eat up your computer's resources.

I guarantee you that OP doesn't even need such a resolution for what he's doing
>>
File: 1487287856850.gif (2MB, 300x262px) Image search: [Google]
1487287856850.gif
2MB, 300x262px
>>3005455
>Also, why are you working on a file that big? At 72dpi, that's 166" x 111". At 300 dpi, that's 40x26". Why are you making such a big canvas?
What this guy said >>3005458 i'm drawing a small city so lots of small details and i like making it smaller when its done

i made it use my graphic card so now it runs at a cool 2gb
>>
>>3005461
Yes, i know, and I said I have work files for commercial projects that are over a gig with all of the layers and the print size of the image.
>>
>>3005500
It's overkill. But you know what, i don't feel like going into it. Let to OP answer, if he ever comes back.
>>
LMAO dude im work in the gaming induatry as concept artist and illustrator and im an fd graduate dont hear to this idiots , why the fuck is your canvas sie so big , u dont need that , just mae it 300 dpi and cut your canvas size by half or more.
ure welcome
>>
>12000x8000

what the fuck? you don't need your canvas so huge, no wonder it keeps crashing.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.