[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much of creating high quality art is just holding yourself

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

How much of creating high quality art is just holding yourself to a high standard?
I look through old concept artists and it seems like once they learned something, they just forced themselves to meet an uncomfortably high standard until doing their best became a habit throughout their work.

This is common sense for some but I say it to contrast the "hiding my power level" lazy approach to art where artists are content with never actually trying their hardest at anything, always working below their actual skill level. passing off sloppy, rushed, impatient, unfinished work as "style". It's a sort of lazy apathy I've been seeing a lot throughout the world lately.

I've only recently learned that there is a huge difference between the skill of an artist and the quality of the work. All these named artists people like so much are just always giving it their best effort, either deliberately or subconsciously.

It always seems like people have a high standard for their potential (which is admirable), but never for their own actual artwork. They look at /hr/ and say "it's not realistic enough", but when it's time to do something of their own they give up at the first sign of difficulty and beat themselves up over it. They study and study, but never apply that work ethic to their own creation. Why is that?

It seems like the perceived skill of the artist tied directly to the quality of the artwork. Hoping someone can share their thoughts on this.

I'll be bumping with art if this get's buried.
>>
File: Henri Regnault - Salomé - 1870.jpg (559KB, 1150x1840px) Image search: [Google]
Henri Regnault - Salomé - 1870.jpg
559KB, 1150x1840px
>>
File: 108.jpg (97KB, 850x1055px) Image search: [Google]
108.jpg
97KB, 850x1055px
>>
>>3001555
I've gotta find the route Ingres took with hands, I have a terrible problem with emulating his hands but making them look longer, flatter and thinner.
>>
>>3001545
Im not quite sure i get what you mean. That the greatest artists only show the absolute 10/10 work, and hide the sketches? or that they just focus on lets say 10 pieces and use a lot of time on them, instead of creating 100 mediocre pieces?

I mean, being a perfectionist can get you a long way, but you'll have to create a lot of shit to create something good, and alot of good to create something perfect and so on.

To answer to the "sloppy, impatient style" i think it mostly exists because of concept art for movies and games where quantity over quality is often needed for studios, and so people find art in creating the best possible piece in the given time limit. In fine art i dont thin much has changed to be honest. Except ofc that a lot of modern art right now is very abstract and shit.
>>
>>3001567
if you want the hand to be long flat and thin you'd have to make everything else in the biology long flat and thin.

A tall person isn't just tall, they have a tall persons eyes, face, neck, fingers, feet etc.
it's almost a gestalt effect.
>>
File: 47.jpg (193KB, 1000x616px) Image search: [Google]
47.jpg
193KB, 1000x616px
>>3001597
>Im not quite sure i get what you mean.

I mean that even in sketches, a lot of effort is being put in.
even artists that work in a sketchy style put a lot of thought into making it look the way it does, and in artist sketchbooks where every piece is 10/10 you realize that they just have a high standard for the quality of their own work, and not the work of others.

I definitely feel like it's fine to focus on the quality of other's work, but it seems like what determines who is good and who isn't, is just based on who put the most of their understanding and effort into a single image.. idk if this makes sense. maybe these
two are the wrong words.
>>
File: Gabriel Ritter von Max.jpg (1MB, 1280x1798px) Image search: [Google]
Gabriel Ritter von Max.jpg
1MB, 1280x1798px
>>
>>3001545
>How much of creating high quality art is just holding yourself to a high standard?

100%. Next question.
>>
>>3001613
> I mean that even in sketches, a lot of effort is being put in.
depends. When you have guys who have been doing art for 40+ years, they dont have to think a lot and their sketches will still look good and "thoughtfull".
I witnessed it myself, saw a dude sketching a head while eating his bagel with the other hand. Everything was perfect, every stroke, every angle, everything he left out or stylized. He only wanted to show me how to get the perspective of the head, thats it. I was still blown away by it.
>>
File: cm.png (17KB, 343x139px) Image search: [Google]
cm.png
17KB, 343x139px
>>3001669
That's good to know, thank you. I appreciate it. Idk if it was a stupid question, but it was sincere.

>>3001781
It seems like all the thinking can become habitual. which makes me want to just be an autistic try-hard while i'm young so I can have an easier time later on.
I think it was Rapoza who said something like "you don't have to learn all that stuff right away".

Craig Mullins also said pic related so i'm inclined to just to grind to get as many tiny gains as possible, especially now that i have novice understanding of the fundamentals.
>>
>>3001545
Kubrick wished he wasn't a perfectionist and wished he was able to make more movies.
>>
>>3002746
well admittedly he would never call himself a perfectionist. but what i mean was he took a long time to make things the right way and he wished he had made more movies.
>>
it's more like when you assimilate information you just can't do it the old way you were doing it. like if you actually understand how light reacts to form and creates things like cast shadows and ambient occlusion you can't help but notice those things and notice when a piece is handling those things wrong. you would actually have to force yourself to draw something wrong in that case.
>>
What exactly are you saying is high quality art, the stuff that your posting? Different types of artist have different types of skill sets that they have developed. So while it may seem that people are "hiding their power level" they're probably showing you advanced skill that your not recognizing already.

For example a manga artist may not be doing paintings like this, but these painters might not be able to do draw a chapter of Naruto in a week either. Which would include skills in drafting, inking, visual storytelling, consistency in artwork, etc., and being able to do all of this fast. All those things are also skills that artists have had to practice and learn.

I think that making high quality art is more about being able to let go. The one thing all those concept art sketch books have in common is that the artist is able to pump out a large quantity of work AS they learn. They don't get stuck on one piece forever. And they don't just keep fixing the same work they're getting critiqued, at some point they take that critique to the next piece and improve (and that next piece might just be starting the previous one from scratch).
>>
>>3002970
So you are kind of saying the opposite of what OP is saying.
>>
>>3003688
Not him, but you need both. There's this skill you get from pure mileage, which is comfort with a pencil. It's something I am lacking personally and which is often invisible to artists who haven't been drawing for two decades yet. It's just like when you learn to draw, you can tell at a glance whether someone made a reference study or an original work.

Like that, you also start seeing this comfort of drawing that comes from thousands of hours of drawing until drawing is natural to the artist.
>>
>>3001545
This applies to so many things. You absolutely have to push yourself to do your best to produce the best work. Modern art is for those who don't want to confront this challenge. There's a reason such talent is rare.
>>
>>3002746
There's saying: Quality over quantity.
>>
>>3001545
Quality? Who give a fuck about quality? You? The artist? The audience? You see, that is the problem with art. Why do artist do art? Whatever reason they have, they had to do it, because no regrets. Why would anyone give a fuck about what is created? The artist intention isn't the problem here. The problem here is with OP's narrow mind. He believe that his preference, is the only correct preference. Art will never be about good or evil, right or wrong, art is simply an indescribable and ever changing entity of sub par creations from the imagination of one individual or more. I shit art out everyday, I don't really care about what it lacks, but what I want it to achieve.
>>
>>3005825
what do you want it to achieve? look like shit?
>>
>>3005825
even shitty art has qualities like sakimiichan or shadman. So, its good to care
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.