[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>start 30 second gesture drawing >literally hit a brick

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

>start 30 second gesture drawing
>literally hit a brick wall the first picture
>get stubborn and 30 seconds turns into over an hour
>still can't figure pic related out

Fuck.
>>
>>3000054
Post what you have, OP.
>>
>>3000054
hot
>>
File: nu.jpg (90KB, 585x600px) Image search: [Google]
nu.jpg
90KB, 585x600px
>>3000054
Black line is first, the red are secondary, you can take it from here.
>>
>>3000081
Nice
>>
>>3000081

At first I thought it slick, but then I looked more closely at lines. It's bad, really bad and doesn't show gesture.

Btw before you ask - I post from mobile now and don't have a tablet, can only print it black&white, draw with markers and scan back in few hours or tomorrow.
>>
>>3000054
The purpose of those 30 sec drawings is that it doesn't matter how they look. It's about other stuff.
Quantity > quality with these, mate.
>>
>>3000054
It's generally a good idea to spend as much time as you need to properly analyze a pose, but if you haven't gotten the gesture down after 5-10 minutes, let alone an hour, then there's a problem with your overall understanding of figure drawing that needs to be addressed first. This isn't a particularly difficult pose either.
>>
>>3000291
no
if all your figures look like shit, just try with easier poses
This exercice is supposed to make you familiar with gestures, you will learn nothing if you mindlessly grind

30 second drawing doesn't mean crappy doodling, it means studying your ref (for more than 30 sec if necessary) and being able to quickly lay down a few strokes to represent it
If that's not how you do it, don't bother

Quantity is NEVER superior to quality
>>
>>3000315
If all your figures look like shit that means you need to practice more. And don't practice with easy poses. Practice with hard poses, then do the finished work with the easy ones.

Learning about direction and flow, as well as the basic parts of anatomy, sure. But also hand/eye coordination to the point where you're hardly even supposed to look at the paper. And all timed gesture drawings is also about learning to properly use all the time you get for the drawing. If you get 30 seconds and spend 30 minutes, you're doing it wrong. And studying the image is included with the set amount of time.
So with these you do want to put down the number so that you teach your muscles how to draw. The same with 1 min drawings. See it more as physical training than traditional art practice.
However I do think that anything above 1 minute should be done with a different sense of care.
>>
>>3000315
>Quantity is NEVER superior to quality
Here's a little anecdote for you:

The ceramics teacher announced on opening day that he was dividing the class into two groups. All those on the left side of the studio, he said, would be graded solely on the quantity of work they produced, all those on the right solely on its quality. His procedure was simple: on the final day of class he would bring in his bathroom scales and weigh the work of the "quantity" group: fifty pound of pots rated an "A", forty pounds a "B", and so on. Those being graded on "quality", however, needed to produce only one pot - albeit a perfect one - to get an "A".
Well, came grading time and a curious fact emerged: the works of highest quality were all produced by the group being graded for quantity. It seems that while the "quantity" group was busily churning out piles of work - and learning from their mistakes - the "quality" group had sat theorizing about perfection, and in the end had little more to show for their efforts than grandiose theories and a pile of dead clay.
>>
>>3000315
Retard alert.
>>
>>3000054
did you start over every 30 seconds and produced 120 bad drawingss, or obsessed over a single piece of practice for an hour?

if you did the first one I'm sure there is a really big improvement between piece no1 and 120
>>
>>3000315
>Quantity is NEVER superior to quality

Quantity:
>think of something you want to do
>attempt it
>finish it
>looks like shit
>learn from mistakes
>think about what could be done better
>figure out what you suck at
>practice practice practice
>repeat

Quality:
>Think about doing something hard
>prepare to do it
>gather a bunch of useless shit for the hard thing
>try to do something hard
>can't
>study a lot
>Try to do something hard again
>give up because it's not perfect
>start over
>get frustrated
>literally never finish anything
>nothing get's done
>the day's over
>repeat

If you can't grind quantity you'll never make gains. Quality is the reward of Quantity.
Working smart is the reward of working hard.
>>
>>3000418
>reward

result, fuck
too much vidya
>>
>>3000347
>If all your figures look like shit that means you need to practice more.
>If you're making a mistake, you need to repeat that mistake over and over to fix it
That's not how it works, not in school, not in job, not in art, not ever.

>>3000418
Let's say I spend thirty years tracing manga, five hours a day.
Is it hard work?
Yes.
Will I learn anything about drawing or working smart?
Absolutely not.

>>3000315
>>3000372
How about this:
In drawing, a healthy balance between quality and quantity is desirable. It leans closer to quality if you're trying to figure out the process (early stages) and closer to quantity when you're trying to get the mileage (later stages).

Your attempts at making general rules oversimplify the issue.
>>
>>3000054
You're not doing gesture drawing right from the get go dumbass. .

It's 30 seconds because you're trying to get the basics in there of the form. You slowly move into an hour long pose from there.
>>
>>3000054
you arent feeling the forms yet anon. do some vilppu.
she has some nice ones.
>>
File: s.jpg (455KB, 960x483px) Image search: [Google]
s.jpg
455KB, 960x483px
>>3000054
I gave it a try, haven't done one of those in ages, so it's kinda meh.
Watch this, the guy explains it pretty well.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW_gAh6PjDg
>>
I'm honestly surprised how many people here go quantity > quality, especially that guy >>3000418 with

>gather a bunch of useless shit for the hard thing

"Irrelevant" things are most important in art. You can instantly improve a lot of art tenfold with being anal about it and applying some knowledge and techniques. Hell, /ic/ itself preaches how everybody should master perspective because it automatically improves drawings so much.

Goddamn, guy here >>3000081 didn't even get the basics, like that gesture should always retain the structure, that there's a contrapposto usually and opposing lines, that you want to make organic lines and not vector-based shit...So what if he does 100 of those if he'll still be retarded about whole exercise - including why we even do it?
>>
>>3000054
>>3000578
nice
>>
30 second gestures can be a good warmup for a life drawing class, sure, but I personally learnt a fuck ton more about gesture drawing when I slowed the fuck down and spent hours on deconstructing the same poses in as many different ways as possible, and copied rough sketches from Disney animators and Marvel artists and tried to apply their sketching methods to my work.

Same thing with speedpainting. Doing 30 minute speedpaints is a RETARDED way of learning speedpainting. The best way again I found was to be extremely analytical, slowing the fuck down, and think through every fucking step of my workflow. And most of all again doing a ton of master studies to build up a visual library.
>>
>>3000474
>Will I learn anything about drawing or working smart?
>Absolutely not.

I agree with everything you said, but this line is retarded. 30 FUCKING YEARS, you will absolutely learn something. There are lots of manga with lots of styles, perspective, forms, shadows, you WILL learn shit from 30 fucking years doing it. It will be slow as fuck tho.
>>
File: img598.jpg (702KB, 1635x1118px) Image search: [Google]
img598.jpg
702KB, 1635x1118px
>>3000054
a 1 minute and then a 3 minute exercise
>>
File: img597.jpg (448KB, 1863x2724px) Image search: [Google]
img597.jpg
448KB, 1863x2724px
>>3000054
>>3002560
This one was about a 10 minute exercise. I worked up from the initial skeleton I created in the prior 2 drawings.
>>
File: 45sec.png (316KB, 399x624px) Image search: [Google]
45sec.png
316KB, 399x624px
>>3000054
45 sec.
>>
>>3002568
my legs are a bit off position though.
>>
>>3000474
>quality if you're trying to figure out the process (early stages) and closer to quantity when you're trying to get the mileage (later stages).
fair enough
>>
figure drawing pro tip: when a figure is balancing on something, it helps to draw that too. this is probably your problem if the drawing doesn't look "grounded".
>>
>>3000372
The way I've seen people approach gesture drawing takes quantity the entirely wrong way. If the quantity students were under such time pressure that they just frantically moved from one to the next thinking more about keeping the pace than
>>
>>3003025
...stopping to think about what they were actually doing, then they'd never improve because there's no time for evaluation or anything besides baking in whatever habits they already had
>>
>>3002560
You gotta loosen those lines, look for flow in either the pose or the shapes of the anatomy.

You drew a stick figure with straight limbs and ball joints. Pretty much the only thing in your drawing which is curved is the one thing that shouldn't be (the ribcage).
>>
>>3002568
...looks nice ass
>>
File: quick figure by griz and norm.png (281KB, 485x591px) Image search: [Google]
quick figure by griz and norm.png
281KB, 485x591px
>>3000474
>thirty years tracing manga, five hours a day.
You will most certainly internalize a lot of stuff and be able to draw manga style from memory. It'd still be a crappy way to practice, of course.

>>3000607
Very true. Don't polish turds, but take your time. You will automatically get faster the more you draw/ paint.

>>3002560
>>3002562
Work on your lines, spent more time measuring and learn about form before you make quick gesture drawings; you won't learn a lot doing these. 10 minutes are alright, but spend them with getting the proportions and landmarks right at your stage, rather than outlining the silhouette. You draw 50% of the time and spend the other half looking at the thing you want to draw.

>>3002568
Did you add the shadows within those 45 seconds? I'd suggest to take more time measuring, even if you want to spend more emphasises on form. 2-3 minutes are a good time frame for that (see pic related)
Decent work for under a minute; mind sharing your longer studies?

>>3003025
Well for starters quick gestures are more to loosen up. If you feel time pressure, you do something wrong, you don't even have to finish the whole figure in that time. Draw with your arm or shoulder and hold the pencil sideways to capture the flow. 30 second gestures are not meant to practice proportions or anatomy. The problem is, most beginners don't even understand the theory behind gesture drawings or what its actually teaching. I'd say it's actually quite advanced and requires confident lines and a sense of proportions to even practice it.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.