[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've started calligraphy recently, and tried out a few fonts,

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: maxresdefault.jpg (30KB, 727x732px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
30KB, 727x732px
I've started calligraphy recently, and tried out a few fonts,
What do u suggest to try out?
(I have a lamy vista w/ a 1.9 stub nib)
>>
comic sans
>>
this might fly better at /gd/
>>
Cholo tats. Become the top cholo tattoo artist in California
>>
Start with this https://grph151.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/the-art-of-calligraphy-by-david-harris.pdf

I suggest buying a 3.6mm Parallel Pen to start with, your stub nib may be comfortable but a crisp italic will look a lot nicer.
>>
>>3000122
This so much, that book is the Loomis of calligraphy
>>
Because this is /gd/ thread and /gd/ is pretty useless:

Tell me, what constitutes of getting good graphic design fundamentals? What to even do? Learning typefonts? How to even do personal projects? I mean, I head of gestalt principles and some basic stuff like "white and black looks classy, earth colors are natural, green and red compete with each other...", but it's all very fragmented and dry knowledge.

YouTube has bunch of stupid stuff, one channel "The Futur" that is very nice but talks more about marketing and abstract stuff and doesn't show bare-bones work. I only saw one link to some 14 year old kid "enterpreneur" that dicks around with fonts for instagram, video edits and stuf like that.

I want to dick around with graphic design to generate ideas and stuff for my traditional drawing.

What should I do? Just open Photoshop/Illustrator/Indesign/Lightroom and try making album cover for fictional band and inside of it? How woud I even learn about different styles of printing, materials and knowledge like that?
>>
>>3000269
it's a buzzword for "artists" who need to make money. "fundies" are essentially just a list of things people are gonna ask you to do like design a webpage, etc.
>>
>>3000269
>Tell me, what constitutes of getting good graphic design fundamentals?

Studying it in a school setting, or doing it as a job.

>How woud I even learn about different styles of printing, materials and knowledge like that?

See above.

Design is a different headspace than art, it's more technical, and has different concepts, because often the content overrides the look of the piece. Design is organizing, more than decorating. Design is laying out a magazine, or ad, or poster, so it's legible, the message is conveyed right, and the product shown in teh best light. On top of the conceptual issues of design, you also need to learn the technical - layout, typography, image editing, file prep, and these days, web UI and web construction.

Printing and materials I learned on the job - I've never met anyone out of school with a design school who knew how to call a press and spec a job correctly, or what kinds of paper are out there, what the capabilities of the press are, what the special effects you can do (die cutting, UV inks and shellacs), and even the basics like paper weight, finish, and brightness. If you want to learn the printing side, go work for a small press, like I did - I did design and prepress, so I learned how it all works, and could build files to take advantage of paper and inks.

There are design magazines, and books, but the best way to learn is to rip stuff apart. Go bu magazines, and look how they lay things out. Study websites, what you like, and why. Album covers are a dying art, and won't teach you much - I've done a lot of them over the years, and they layout is always a compromise because of space considerations and budget (4 panels isn't much space)

THE best way to start learning design is to build a portfolio, for PDF, and then a website. Organizing images, identifying them, and placing them on the page is the beginning steps.
>>
>>2999998
Fuck Calligraphy where can i get that Gold pen, most of the gold pens I got dont look that Gold
>>
>>3001999
Do you mean the nib or the ink? If the latter, search for the gold drawing ink.
>>
>>3001999
What? It's a dip nib with gold paint. Try Holbein or Talens gouache, or Finetec watercolors.
>>
>>2999998
Check Hermann Zapf calligraphy and courses.
>>
>>3000377

Thanks, that's helpful and at the same time what I was afraid of - only way to get good is to...start working with other people on projects.

Which I guess also should be true for art.
>>
File: 1496419454743.jpg (16KB, 600x315px) Image search: [Google]
1496419454743.jpg
16KB, 600x315px
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.