[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it too late to be an artist at 21 if I have no skills

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

File: Thinking_Face_Emoji_grande.png (143KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Thinking_Face_Emoji_grande.png
143KB, 600x600px
Is it too late to be an artist at 21 if I have no skills and experience at all?
>>
Work towards a real career and draw for fun in your free time
>>
>>2989782
>no skills
>no experience
you should have been at least doing fun drawings as a kid
>>
>>2989791
Good idea.
>>2989808
I drew as a kid but it was a very long time ago.
I always had an interest in creating something but wasn't sure what to do
>>
>>2989782
I started at 25. You might still make it but don't start at 25.
>>
>>2989782
No way Jose, you might as well stop breathing RIGHT NOW. Since you're looking for serious advice in this shithole you probably have some other insecurities as well.
>>
No, you're not gonna make it.
>>
>be an artist
if you're that vague you don't get far
>>
>>2989782
It's never to late.

If it's what you really wanna do, you have a whole lifetime ahead of you to learn it. 21 is still very young, man. Most people haven't even figured out half their shit by then.

The cool thing about being an artist, is that you benefit greatly from how late it peaks, and you'll pretty much always have a source of income later in life that's essentially futureproof. Nothing beats cumulative experience, so it's cool.

Art is a marathon, not a Sprint. The best of the best have been drawing for DECADES to get to their level. With experience comes mastery. So, you missing a few years of early experience doesn't make a difference if you're willing to put the time in and stick to it for long.

I recommend what >>2989791 said. Have some sort of backup. Work on your art skills during your free time, and when you get to a level where people are paying you money for your stuff, you can consider switching careers if you want.

You've got one life to live man, worst you could do to yourself is get stuck in a rut for your entire life over decisions you made when you were 21. Your early 20s is the best time to build marketable skillsets that can pay off later in life. Art being one of those, but there are others.
>>
>>2991376
Earlier is better but it's not impossible even if you're 40. It's all about how much time and effort you put into it.
>>
>>2989782
There are people on conceptart.org who started even later (some in their 30s) and went on to do great work. They're a good inspiration.

Look them up if it would help motivate you.
>>
>>2989782
I graduated a year ago and started working in healthcare and realized the effort just isn't worth the pay, and I really couldn't care less if my patients die, so I quit and for the past few months I've been practicing almost nonstop because I want to pursue art. Now, I'm already getting paid for commissions; you improve fast if you really dedicate time and effort to it. It is never too late and I'm happy where I am right now.
>>
>>2992784
post yer werk
>>
>>2989782
Questions that gets asked around frequently should be posted here
>>2985110
>>
>>2992784
how did you get your commisions?
>>
>>2989782
This isn't a question. You can start now, or keep on thinking about it for 10 years, then start.

Source: am beginner at 30.
>>
>>2989782
Yes, quit while you're ahead and spend the next 50 years watching tv and playing vidya
>>
>>2989782
Obligatory firez reference:

http://firez-da.deviantart.com/gallery/

guy started at 28, he is around 32 now and seems to be doing ok with overall progress and commissions
>>
>>2989782
if you
>haven't been drawing at LEAST 16 hours per day since age 6
>lack the ligameme
>lack v-veins
you are 100% not going to make it and should honestly kill yourself for being dumb enough to think otherwise
>>
>>2993216
>tfw only drew 14 hours a day since age 6 and at 40 I can only draw stick figures
>>
no, Kandinsky started at like 30. plus there's no age requirement to start creating. have fun
>>
>>2989782
Never too late, you'd better start now or you'll never make the first step.
Also :don't quit because younger artists are better than you because not quitting won't improve your art (and make you better than them).
>>
>>2989782
you can be whatever u want whenever you could only remember that in order to achieve something you need hard work and discipline
>>
>>2989782
no, now get to work.
>>
>>2989782
Never too late for those that are serious about trying each day.
>>
>>2989782
No but you'll never be as good as me
You can be as good as every low tier professional though, but that's your limit
>>
>>2989782
Dude you're fine. Vincent van Gogh didn't start painting until he turned 27. Hell it isn't too late even if you turn 40. What matters is the drive or, at least, the attempt.
>>
>>2989782
It's literally dependent on how much time and energy you put into it. You CAN given you put in the work. That's it.

There is no time limit. There is no force telling you "fuck off" if you start at 25. There is no one rate of improvement either.

If you want to be an artist pick up the God damn pencil and *do it*. If it's what you want to do then you'll love it and love to hate it and keep working through the good times and frustration.

If you want to do art for ANY reason and you feel there's something holding you back:

-FUCK those thoughts

-FUCK the fact you haven't started

-FUCK the pessimistic edgelords telling you otherwise.

Literally the ONLY thing stopping you is yourself. You can do it if you really want to, but if you let some age meme get to you you'll never bother.
>>
>>2993539

To add onto this, fuck anyone who says you can't reach their level by starting now. Everyone works at different rates. You can surpass people one year who've spent decades on their craft because people are just that fucking different. Some people are inefficient or just slower. Others catch on with the speed of a god.
>>
If you aren't ready to bust your ass to get good don't bother.
>>
you could always try, but in my opinion you'd have to think of something that would make your art stand out.
>>
>>2993216
>been drawing 15 hours a day since I was 7 years old
>two ligaments each wrist, ambidextrous
>just starting to understand boxes

Will I make it?
>>
>>2993420
>low tier
>professional
pick one
>>
>>2989782
No, it's not too late. It'll probably take a few years, but it's perfectly managable if you truely desire it. Just keep drawing after work/school and you'll get there eventually.
>>
File: 1495618407978.gif (424KB, 464x381px) Image search: [Google]
1495618407978.gif
424KB, 464x381px
>>2989791
Basicly me. I'm studying Computer Science since I have slav genes and I'm good at Math. However my passion is art and I also want to create good games.
>>
>>2989782
Never gonna make it.
>>
>>2994108

The % of artists who are ambidextrous is superior to the % of the average population, so you may have the Spark, in which case you'll make it.

Just don't wait too long, not gonna lose that neuroplasticity brah.
>>
It's not about 'making it'. It's about whether you have anything meaningful to say or time to create it once you're good enough at 30+ yo. I worry if I'm still interested creating anime or comics when I'm good enough.
>>
>>2989791
Art doesn't matter anymore, so yes.

Your best bet is getting gud enough for comissions &/or level up to canvas painting. There's still zero guarantee, even if you're great. The top-end is politics.

Whatever you, don't go to fucking art school.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.