[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will manga art replace modern "art" in the met 20 to

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 11

Will manga art replace modern "art" in the met 20 to 50 years from now?

Our generation is losing interest in this garbage.

Most people under 30 I know would rather go see guardians of the galaxy than look at a messy drip painting made by some drunk alcholic dude.

It just logically seems like the step forward for contemporary art.
>>
>>2989452
No it won't.

Modern art and what you call drip paintings by alcoholics is for rich and highly cultured people. It's created for upper class with the purpose to separate them from the plebs, not to be the most popular.

McDonald's and subway aren't ever gonna compete with five star restaurants, despite what you think taste best.
>>
>>2989452
Nothing will replace the Met's catalog, to sell it would violate the terms of it's corporation - the works it owns and displays will always be there. (and be free for display - you're encouraged to donate to get in)

They may open more galleries for new collections, like they did for modern art collections, but manga? Doubtful, as they focus on Western art. (They have commercial art in their collection, so the idea isn't that far fetched)
>>
>>2989488
we have consumed the same food for thousand of years, but the demand in art have been literally changing from generation to generation
>>
>>2989494
>but manga? Doubtful, as they focus on Western art.
the current young west generation has been consuming japanese cartoons and comics heavily and some even started producing their own, it would be enough something to completely destroy the torrent way of japanese media distribution to to rise a demand in it. Afterwards it would grow exponentially with new western artists focusing on this demand, born from the same generation of consumers.

give somebody drugs until he gets addicted, and afterwards he will come to you with money if you stop
>>
>>2989506
and to add

a new art movement will never replace old art from museums, atleast for the historical value of said art. It just sits next to it or in a different gallery/ museum. A better question would be if it's in there or not.
>>
>>2989452
art used to be good but now there are too many kids with parents that let them do nothing but stay at home, so now art means nothing. This is the dark age. We have a lot of peasants creating art to link themselves with the upper class. It is completely pathetic.

Art will always be that which is sought after that clues us into some darkness of humanity. And that, strangely enough, has nothing to do with deviantart. You get caught up with specifics, you end up painting your whole life and dying thinking "Huh?" Art is no longer found on the canvas, it's totally left it. Of course, people know this. But it's hard to do anything aobut it. Motivated avoidance. So they aspire to join the 'industry' in a halfassed attempt at the greatness humans once spoke of, but know not the machine they willingly enter.
>>
>>2989506
It doesn't fucking matter what kids like, the museum is based on Western art, period.

They BARELY gave in to modern art, which is why the guggenheim and other modern art museums, exist, because museums like the Met don't give a fuck.

Manga is commercial art. The Marvel artwork has a better shot at being displayed at the Met, but considering they won't even acknowledge Disney exists, I wouldn't hold your breath.
>>
>>2989512
Was this post supposed to be modern art because it's just as much pretentious drivel.
Seriously,"The darkness of humanity"? Fucking chuunibyou.
>>
>>2989515
>It doesn't fucking matter what kids like
they are not kids, they are future adults
>>
>>2989518
your bum just got tickled.
>>
>>2989497
First of all, no. Inventions has changed the way we can eat. Haven't you ever touched a history book and read about trades with fruit, spices or meat?

Secondly, the point was not if it changes or not. It was wether shitty Japanese everyday cartoons ever will make it into fine arts.

If you think Rockefeller will buy shitty Naruto cartoons and hang in their mansions just because it's popular with kids then you're just dumb.
>>
>>2989724
So rockerfellas have bad taste?
>>
>>2989519
Yes they will grow up one day and put away childish things like manga
Thats just the way it works
>>
>>2989727
Kind of yes? My food argument would only compare to an extent but I'm sure that oysters or foie gras is not easy to enjoy unless you actually know what you are eating, compared to french fries with ketchup that most people could enjoy.

It's not expensive and famous because it's good. It's a way for the rich and "cultured" to separate themselves from the plebs (using the word in it's actual meaning).
>>
>>2989832
So oysters are like ferraris of the food world as to what art is to food in upper class capitalit?
>>
>>2989805
>manga
>childish
>>
How could an art collector feel superior if every basement dwelling dweeb jacks off to a photo of his painting hanging in the foyer?
>>
>>2989966
>oysters are like ferraris of the food world
I don't know what rich people eat all day. Compare it to alcohol if you want then, most people love shit beer and drink it every day. They can't tell the difference between a $10000 bottle wine and a $15 one. Just as I can't compare or value any kind of modern shit art.

Point is that modern art and expensive art never has been art for the masses. Neither was most of the fine art back in the days either. It was rich guy shit to impress other rich guys.

Manga or marvel art for the masses has it's place and will probably end up in similar type of art museums, but it will never take the place of modern art. Only chance I can imagine it being in rich guys mansions is by collectible status, to make it exclusive. Closest example of this would be Giger's alien chairs. But I'd argue that's a different topic.
>>
Manga isn't art it's illustration.
>>
>>2989452
Guardians of the Galaxy sucks and the only manga that has cought my attention through it's illustrations is berserk, but it's way too inconsistent and it has too many characters with anime faces which are just gross to look at.

Also almost all manga is in black and white and almost all of it is for no good reason.
>>
File: takashimurakami.jpg (259KB, 1915x2640px) Image search: [Google]
takashimurakami.jpg
259KB, 1915x2640px
the combination of anime/manga aesthetics with art is already being done its not as if one thing replaces another completely. In fact the world wide appeal of much of contemporary Japanese art due to japan's traditional mindset has caused many japanese artist like saburo murakami to only be famed internationally. Takashi murakami on the other hand uses his studio practice as a brand, the smiling flower as a icon and logo like mickey mouse and his work in a variety of media such as animation and the commercialization of his work such as the store he set up in gagosian museum is further proof of this combination of art and manga.
So basically yes its being done right now you just don't care enough to search it out or make anything that reflects your ideals.
>>
>>2990841
ah I was thinking of shozo shimamoto not saburo murakami he says it in a interview in the book: Shozo Shimamoto : Samurai, Acrobata Dello Sguardo : 1950-2008
>>
>>2989805
and this is a good example of bad parenting mentality

there are no such things as kids, there are only future adults. And what future adults are doing now, they will want to do it in the future too when they are actual adults.

If you let them play video games, they will want to make a profession out of that, if you let them to draw, they will want to do a profession out of that, if you let them procrastinate, they will try to make a living out of that.

by letting your [s[kids[/s] future adults procrastinate in the face of the TV just because they are quite at those times and it gives you some free time, you are growing a procrastinator, not a future working adult

if you want your kids to grow, you have to spend time with them learning new things

kids which are spending most of their time reading manga will try to make a living out of making manga, regardless if they were born in japan or not
>>
>>2990888
Kids grow out of childish things and that's a fact.

I used to do anime fan art when I was about 15 but as I got older I became more interested in fine art.

Not to say all manga illustrates are childish though...
Just the ones who still draw like children at 20 and have some kind of false dream aout being a professional manga artist.
>>
>>2990904
the single ''childish things'' are the activities done by those with not enough will to take them to the next level

saying
>Oh, I left those childish things behind.
is just an excuse of why you didn't commit to something, just like saying
>Oh, you have so much talent.
is just another way of saying i will never be able to be as good as you at this because I don't have talent. If you have talent that means you have a thing which i was not born with, when in reality it's just practice which made the other make

but I bet you one of those guys which defend the idea of talent so it's not like you''ll actually learn something from my waste time on this comment
>>
>>2990916
I do grown up art now.
>>
>>2990917
there is no such thing as
>grown up art
there is only bad or good art

sometimes ppl use ''childish art'' to refer to bad art, but pls don't confuse the 2
>>
File: th (5).jpg (107KB, 536x750px) Image search: [Google]
th (5).jpg
107KB, 536x750px
>>2990841
>the combination of anime/manga aesthetics with art is already being done
>>2989452
>look at a messy drip painting made by some drunk alcholic dude.
>>2990841
>So basically yes its being done right now you just don't care enough to search it out or make anything that reflects your ideals.
Way to prove a point there shit nugget.

Pic related. The name dropped future Japanese Manga overlord art that's completely not drunk alcohol semen drips.
>>
>>2990918
Childish art is when you are 25 and still drawing naruto to hang up on the fridge instead of becoming further interested in art.
>>
>>2990926
somebody who is
>drawing naruto to hang up on the fridge instead of becoming further interested in art.
is not making threads about the future of manga in art museums

the kind of dude which does that is the kind of OP which like to such cocks, is interest in art as a whole, likes to such cocks, consumes and has manga as the main source of inspiration, is interest in farther improving the field he get's into and might or might not such cocks all day
>>
File: takashimurakami2.jpg (137KB, 870x390px) Image search: [Google]
takashimurakami2.jpg
137KB, 870x390px
>>2990920
I said takashi murakami, saburo doesn't use manga/anime stuff. I used him as a example of worldwide appeal but not in japan.
>>
>>2989974
greentexting like that is usually used when the two terms are opposite
>>
>>2990970
>they are not
>>
>>2990954
>I said takashi murakami
So pic related is what you consider popular art in the genre like guardians of the galaxy?

nice troll bro. namedrop more
>>
>>2991135
yes he's highly popular saying hes a namedrop is like saying jeff koons is obscure
>>
>>2991144
>messy drip painting made by some drunk alcholic dude.
>>
Manga is Garbage.
>>
>>2991160
That's what they are.
>>
>>2989452
more creep shot art references
>>
>>2993856
it's obvious what you're doing
>>
I didn't even read the other posts, but i just want to say that modern art is the laziest and most pretentious crap ever created by faggots who want to be famous without putting any effort into it.
I can only hope that this new generation will kill modern art.
>>
>>2989512
>We have a lot of peasants creating art to link themselves with the upper class. It is completely pathetic.
What is the 19th century to the art world? What is Industrialization and the invention of tube paint? Dude, peasants have been making art for 200 years; the upper class nowadays likes it, too.
>>
>>2990970
>greentexting in a certsin way is for one purpose and one purpose only
>it cannot be used to highlight words or put emphasis on what someone is saying
>this is so because I have said so
>I define what greentexting is
>bow down to me and suck my nuts
Wow, anon, that's really arrogant of you.
>>
>>2990917
Post your art and we'll see how grown up you are.
>>
File: TakashiMurakami-TanTanBo(2002).jpg (1MB, 4496x2250px) Image search: [Google]
TakashiMurakami-TanTanBo(2002).jpg
1MB, 4496x2250px
>>2990841

>Takashi Murakami

I love the guy, he makes very cool stuff.
>>
File: TakashiMurakami-TanTanBo(2001).jpg (3MB, 2364x1594px) Image search: [Google]
TakashiMurakami-TanTanBo(2001).jpg
3MB, 2364x1594px
>>2993990
>>
>>2993993
This is cool.
>>
I highly doubt bt it.
>>
Why hasn't this happened yet?
>>
>>2989452
Most people under 30 you know are irrelevant for premium segment of art industry.
>>
Trends in art were never about what normies like. It's about what people with millions of dollars to throw around like.
>>
>>2997714
why?
>>
>>2998288
>implyimg the majority of things aren't marletted towards normies.
>>
>>2997714
This is so wrong.
>>
ITT weeaboo thiks animu is more important than it is
>>
It's also about the world of fine art. Gallery art. Anime is mass media. Like 1950s comic books. It's at a level beneath Daumier's satirical newspaper cartoons. The only thing "anime" you'll see at the MET will by Takashi Murakami or another Japanese pop artist.
>>
>>2999950
>>
>>2999950
>It's at a level beneath Daumier's satirical newspaper cartoons

You have to have bad taste to actually think this.

I would more compare anime to the sistine chapel...
>>
>>2999950
>what is pop art
>>
>>2990918
The main point is maturing and wanting to get deeper into art and its meaning
The true purpose of art is to convey a spiritual message, im sorry but manga doesnt do that for me
>>
I could see artists using manga and anime as a "medium" for contemporary pop-culture critique. Never just as a style in itself though.
>>
>>2989452
Why manga? It's not nearly as popular as it used to be and even in Japan it's becoming a niche for otakus.
>>
File: Download.jpg (11KB, 222x227px) Image search: [Google]
Download.jpg
11KB, 222x227px
>>2989452
Anime:
>appeal to suicidal hardcore games without taste

Cartoon:
>appeal to children, Disneystuff etc.

Traditional Art
>draw like the old masters of the renown

So, no.
>>
File: Retards on ic.jpg (512KB, 2086x930px) Image search: [Google]
Retards on ic.jpg
512KB, 2086x930px
>>2989452
>>
>>3004477
How old are you?

If anything it's becoming more mainstream.
>>
File: Hiiragi.Tsukasa.full.871801.jpg (275KB, 737x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Hiiragi.Tsukasa.full.871801.jpg
275KB, 737x1000px
>>2989452

>I know would rather go see guardians of the galaxy than look at a messy drip painting made by some drunk alcholic dude.

you already answer your own question dude
>>
are thos threds reportable yet ???
>>
If anything animeme will replace american Comic book stuff. They are on the same Level. Abstract stuff is very niche and will always have admirers
>>
>>2989452
What is the next big thing in contemporary art though?
>>
>>2989452
>It just logically seems like the step forward for contemporary art.
>logically
by what logic?
Your own autistic loser logic?
>>
File: 1495861894222.png (1MB, 1917x2163px) Image search: [Google]
1495861894222.png
1MB, 1917x2163px
>>3004531
>(((admirers)))
>>
>>2989452
No normal person likes modern art and people who watches stuff like Guardians are usually not the ones who support their local museum.

>>2989488
>McDonald's and subway aren't ever gonna compete with five star restaurants

Funny since modern art is the junk food of the art world. Easy to produce and low staying power.
>>
>>3004658
So is Anime/Manga. For casual people, great for selling in masses and low prices, doing nothing for artistic world.
>>
File: watchanimetv08.jpg (94KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
watchanimetv08.jpg
94KB, 1280x720px
>>3004658
>Junk food

...so is Anime/Manga nowadays.
>>
>>3004662
>>3004664

>So is Anime/Manga.
Even if that was right then so is a lot of things. It's a fallacy to think that just because they share one trait that they could then replace each other. It's like asking if modern art will be the new anime in 20 years because people are tired of the current trashy anime.
>>
>>2989452
As long as it can be used by snobby elites as a money laundering scheme, then yes. But since this is primarily NEET art, no.
>>
Modern art will remain as meaningless unappealing tripe that rich non-artists will shit around with to try to appear more cultured than others.

I could easily see anime-style art or elements of anime style becoming the mainstream for most illustration and commercial art though. You can already see it happening to some degree.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.