[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to consistently improve your art when you're

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1439194542645.jpg (27KB, 432x320px) Image search: [Google]
1439194542645.jpg
27KB, 432x320px
Is it possible to consistently improve your art when you're either studying a non-art related subject or are working a non-art-related full-time job?

Asking because my year of NEETdom is coming to an end and while I did improve a lot in some regards (anatomy, gesture) I neglected digital painting completely even though that was the reason I started drawing in the first place.

It's just so intimidating to me to switch to digital, I don't have any fucking clue how people do it tbqh
>>
Yeah, I was able to by drawing whenever I had the time, usually it was an hour in the morning each day and five and more on the weekends.
>>
>>2983003
You gotta make the leap into the scary areas dipshit, how else are you gunna git gud?

But yeah it is. You just focus on your art outside of your full time job, like a hobby.
>>
File: 1437739002783.png (94KB, 539x465px) Image search: [Google]
1437739002783.png
94KB, 539x465px
>>2983011
How do I make the leap tho

I want to shade shit and while I know the theory behind it, I just cannot get anything done, it is too intimidating to me.

The lines are wonky, the values are muddy and I have no idea how to improve.

I don't even have a clear order in which I begin the shading, cast shadow first? Form shadow first?

And don't even get me started on these countless brushes, just makes it even worse.
>>
I work Mon-Fri 9-5 as a developer, just draw after work
>>
>>2983016

You sound like you don't really understand the drawing process to begin with

You lay in your basic drawing, map out the shadows, create a layer underneath that drawing layer and fill it with a value 5, separate your lights and darks, then progressively work up from your darkest values, to your dark half-tones, to your light half-tones, to your highlights. There's a lot of different ways you can do it, but stick to thinking of it like that. Use a fairly large hard round brush, try to just paint things in tiles, and then you can soften the edges after or create a gradient. Work in broad stokes, don't pick away at things with a small brush trying to get details just right from the start because that's how you get mud. You work from large and simplified, and gradually tighten things up.

Start with painting simple objects, don't just jump into portraits and figures because you're going to be overwhelmed. That might seem like common sense but everyone always starts with something difficult and is surprised when it doesn't work out. Also, you're going to suck for a long time and that's just the way this is.

Also, I'd personally recommend getting good at doing drawings with charcoal and newsprint because that's pretty much the foundation for painting. Digital painting didn't really click for me until I'd already spent like a year doing charcoal drawings and monochrome oil paintings.
>>
>>2983071
>value 5

What does that mean?

Otherwise, thanks, I'll hopefully get my shit together.

I mean, I understand it all in theory, but putting it into practive is just so intimidating.
>>
>>2983003
Intimidated by what? Failure? If so just stop trying now
>>
>>2983106
A center value. 5/10. A middle gray tone basically, halfway from black and halfway from white.
>>
These threads are idiotic and are starting to piss me off. And they all seem like shitty bait.
>>
>>2983160
Beginners know the answer. They just need validation from other people to help them make it through. Then again I hide these types of threads like anybody else.
>>
>Implying being a classic fag isn't 1000x harder

So you saying you calculated advanced algebra for years but can't do a multiplication by 2 digit numbers?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.