[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you study? What is your schedule like? How did you begin

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8

How do you study? What is your schedule like? How did you begin and how have your habits and schedule changed? What art-related media do you like to consume? Post regimens and plans, let's be efficient y'all.
>>
Look at a ton of art for that one aspect I'm trying to figure out then look up tutorials to get some idea on how other people have solved it. Then I get drawing and replicating the same aspect with my own hands.

Practically hikkimori. But up near noon and sleep at like two.

Beginning point? I'm not sure which that refers to but I'll mark it as when I was thinking about how to get better at art. I remembered there was a board for art and that there's a sticky, so I read it and then wondered who Feng Zhu was. Read the conceptart thread and learned about fundamentals. Watched his video of before and after, realize that there's someone out there who gets art that isn't fine art. Also learned how to get from point A to point B. I fell for all the memes of /ic/, gestures, boxes, loomis, etc. I don't do that stuff anymore and just draw whatever I want.

Anime, manga, traditional art, any of the good stuff.

Just what I put down for studying.
>>
>>2976938
What goals do you have?
>>
File: thic.png (156KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
thic.png
156KB, 600x600px
idk sometimes I just pick my pen and start doodling, watch videos, read pdf´s about drawing, but I just want to do thicc legs
>>
File: tumblr_oo6e6bxOcw1riqrywo1_500.jpg (74KB, 500x624px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oo6e6bxOcw1riqrywo1_500.jpg
74KB, 500x624px
>>2976972
You and me both friend. All I've managed so far are hideously deformed gesture drawings though. One day.
>>
>>2976972
Same routine here, except for the pdf thing.
>>
>>2976934

Basically, I try to focus on one thing per day. So today my focus is hands. I'll start by warming up with boxes, circles, lines etc and some box practice. Next I'll begin by doing master studies of 0033, then i'll try to apply that to photo and then i'll apply that to imagination. And i'll just keep over and over again until i'm sick of it.

Then I'll spend the rest of the time working from imagination trying to recall things I've studied form yesterday to things i've studied from a month ago. That way i'm building my short term and long term memory.

Time varies from 2 -6 hours.

Other than that I try to get 1 "finished piece" done per week. So this year i'm focusing on comics so I try to complete at least 1 comic page per week. Next year i'll be focusing on illustration so i'll try to complete at least 1 illustration per week.

In the past I've experimented with various schedules such as just practicing drawing the head for an entire month. While I was able to improve my head drawing a lot that way, the drawback was that I was neglecting other areas. It's also very tedious to draw the same thing for a long period of time.
>>
The way I practice is I look at my most recent work and try to figure out what the 3 biggest weaknesses are in my art and make a goal to do 1000 iterations of those three subjects, right now I'm doing Faces, Gestures and Ears. Then I just count each one I do and add them to a notepad file its nice so I can do a few here and there on paper when no one is looking at work and just use the dropbox app on my phone to update it. At the end of the day I subtract the amount I did down from 10000 in my spreadsheet that has all my stats for how many I did that day and check if I'm keeping up with the average. It's sort of humbling because you see how many drawings you actually do and it helps to make sure you're keeping consistent.
>>
>>2977066
I like you, someone who actually draws a lot. Just like the ceramics pot class.
>>
>>2976978
Gimme sauce meow
>>
>>2977067
I'm always surprised when I see people post their sketchbook pages and its like 6 cubes, 3 faces and 2 really sloppy construction bodies
>>
>>2977066
People who do this make me laugh. What a waste of time
>>
>>2977073
works for me! Since I started I've been drawing more then I ever have before
>>
>>2977066
jesus fuck my dude.
>>
I just analyze good art. Like, constantly. I don't get to draw nearly as often as I'd like to.
>>
>>2977066

Wew, I wish I was Asian too. Such organizational skills, would solve 99% of my problems. What advice would you give to a brainlet like me to organize myself so beautifully?
>>
>>2977083
I'm a whitey actually but I don't know I just like efficiency and being organized usually helps. Just download LibreOffice or use Excel and give it a shot! I'm having trouble thinking of any specific advice I could give
>>
>>2977090

Downloading now, gonna take this seriously. It's clearly one of those things worth investing time on, because it'll definitely pay off. Sort of like writing your own biography, helps you remember your own identity and focus on what matters to you.

Thanks, Anon.
>>
File: zhanghe-800.jpg (53KB, 635x800px) Image search: [Google]
zhanghe-800.jpg
53KB, 635x800px
>>2977090
alright you anal retentive nerd post your work
>>
>>2977066
>tfw know for sure have not done ten thousand anything, not even thousands, much less hundreds for a majority of things
Can you draw actual things well though? I'm curious. I've been drawing longer than you if that's your starting date at the top.
>>
File: 1490584328994.jpg (169KB, 768x812px) Image search: [Google]
1490584328994.jpg
169KB, 768x812px
>>2977066
That seems helpful but... 1000 iterations of each? That seems like overkill, especially for subjects as limited as ears. I'm not going to tell you how to live your life but spending so much time correcting yourself in small subjects sounds insane to me.
>>
>>2977103
>spending so much time correcting yourself in small subjects sounds insane to me.
Well, that's how you get better. Especially when you're just good enough to draw just ok. If you're terrible at the beginning then it's easy to see and fix big mistakes. When you're let's say mediocre you can only improve by fixing the small ones.
>>
>>2977066
So what's the average amount of days it takes you to do 1000 iterations of three subjects? A week?
>>
>>2977066
What you're doing is more a study in anal retentavism than any reasonable, workable program of study. 1000? Where did you pull that number from? Most students - if properly taught - (ie. not here) can get a solid feel for the basic subjects of a drawing 101 course with 10 repetitions, max. 1000 is self abuse. It's masochistic. It's an irrational goal for any beginning student.
>>
>>2977146

Says who? Let the man do what he wants
>>
>>2977146
If it works for him, no need to criticisize him about it.
>>
>>2976934
My study plan was geared around my workload in college. In high school, I drew and painted every night, for 2-3 hours, more if I could get it, and 45 minutes in class every day.

There is no right or wrong, or official way. You tailor your study around your life. If you have evenings free, use that to study. Same for weekends, or any other free time. How would you study for a normal class in a community college or 4 year school, if you signed up for a class next week? It's the same thing.

You can't load up 1000 hours in the first six months and expect anything except burnout. Work when you can, so you enjoy it, and don't learn to avoid it or resent it.

The art media I have always consumed is art books and magazines. I subscribe to Juxtapos magazine, 2dArtist, and The Artists magazines, have for years. I go to the local library and check out art books, and buy them when I can. They're always good for inspiration. I haven't really found any good art history podcasts, yet. And, there are tons of art documentaries out there - Tim's Vermeer is really good. There's an excellent show on Design on Netflix right now.
>>
>>2977147
Says me. He can do it all he wants, but if he's offering it as advice for others, I'm going to point out how irrational it is.
>>
>>2977148
The OP asked for advice - mine is don't listen to that poster. Don't like it? Take it up with the mods.
>>
>>2977148
>it works for him

yeah ok, the only thing that works for him is that he puts his pencil on paper. It doesn't make his drawing skills any better.
>>
>>2977066
Saitama
>>
>>2977124
Usually about a month sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less (lowest is 20 days I've had) depending on the complexity of the subject. I longest I've had is a 1k set of Arms, Composition studies and Hair and that took me like 2 monthsish to complete but I was going through sort of rough patch at the time.

>>2977146
1k is just a number I pulled out of my ass I figured it's a low enough number that I'm not going to be stuck doing the same thing for like half a year but not so low that I won't get anything out of it by immersing myself the subject. Also I figured 1k is like 1/10th of 10k so if you're getting 1/10th of your way to mastery then it should be a big enough leap that you can see a difference in your work from it.
And how is 1000 self abuse or maschoistic? On an average set it only takes me about a month (last set took 20 days) to get through 3 thousand drawings and that's with working a full time job.
>>
>>2977428

>And how is 1000 self abuse or maschoistic?

You're on a board that averages far, far less drawings than you do.

If you can do 1k within a month good on you. Most of /ic/ doesn't do 1k drawings in a year, so it strikes most of us (myself included) as a ridiculous exercise to clamp down so hard on a specific subject. That said, I'm curious how rushed these drawings are if you're doing up to 1000 a month with a full time job.
>>
File: 1482224707927.jpg (35KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
1482224707927.jpg
35KB, 640x426px
>>2977066
Post work.
>>
>>2977066
I do not understand. I dumb. Me want food fill belly.
>>
File: 1365288030560.jpg (26KB, 308x335px) Image search: [Google]
1365288030560.jpg
26KB, 308x335px
i wake up and start drinking. feel sorry for myself, eventually eat my one meal a day. maybe do something creative if i can find the motivation, but luckily i studied a lot when i was younger so i don't totally suck. i've shown in a few prominent galleries but it doesn't pay the bills.
>>
I have a calendar I keep in my bedroom keeping track of my time that is being focused on art, I aim for at least three blocks of one hour per day, if I draw more than that, good, if I'm not quite feeling it I know that if I can just put focus towards an hour of art I can satisfy my requirement.

What I do to prevent myself from burning out is I choose a different subject per block to keep things fresh, photo study, anatomy, perspective, gestures, etc.

What I tried in the beginning was forcing my self day after day trying to hammer down perspective but it wasn't fun at all for me. Now I can learn a little bit of perspective on one block, do anatomy in another block and then apply that perspective knowledge at the same time. It's like being able to see the fruits of your labor manifesting in another aspect of drawing. It helps to encourage me and mitigate frustration when you hit a wall.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.