[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else not know how to balance the positivity from other

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 1494569473261.jpg (86KB, 809x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1494569473261.jpg
86KB, 809x1200px
Anyone else not know how to balance the positivity from other sites and real life and the harsh criticism from 4chan?

I made an ig post today which got likes from my irl friends. They dont know I used to draw and were very pleased. A lot of them are continuously liking every post I make, showing their approval. And its driving me crazy. A part of me thinks Im the retarded kid they are just being nice to gain social points. Thats crazy, but its a reoccuring thought.
i dont know if this has to be dealt with now so I learn to really communicate with an audience or if its just something i deal with until the day i die.
>>
I tell you what. /ic/ didn't help me the slightest with their insults called a "crit". I stopped posting my work here a while ago, now I just collect resources.
I actualy improved faster when I stopped listening to /ic/, probably simply because I wasn't constantly demotivated and feeling shit.
>>
>>2976568
You shouldn't take crit from /ic/, however the resources are useful and it's a fun place to hang.
>>
>>2976568
Any place but here is a good place to get positivity. What you need is someone to acknowledge your work directly in correlation with how much work you put into it. That way you feel satisfied. It's like survival instinct. If you're constantly doing something without any gain, it'll hurt.
>>
>>2976585
interesting. makes me think if im just dissatisfied inside with how much I slack
>>
>>2976576
That's weird. I've had incredibly insightful crit (by people doing paintovers who knew what they were doing) and there are a couple good knowledgeable paragraphs of feedback in /draw/ and /alt/. You must have had bad luck or come off as cocky or something to have that sort of experience. This place is pretty bad but it's not -all- bad.
>>
>>2976636
I had some good experience, like this guy who did me a paintover instead of telling me to loomis, and vastly improved the composition.
But that was like on in 100 loomis shitpost.
>>
How come 4chan is so different?
Why are sites like reddit and gamefaqs filled with these fake and cringy online personas?
>>
>>2976568
The untrained eye glosses over mistakes a trained artist would consider horrific. I'm far from a trained artist, but I've paid attention to artwork and studied a lot the last couple years. Some art I used to think was good, I now recognize as being full of errors, and I'm still beginner-tier.
Their compliments are probably genuine, so be gracious, but don't let it inflate your head.
/ic/ critique needs careful parsing, since both know-nothing BS critique and helpful, knowledgeable stuff can both come as kindly or as casually harsh as the other. Either way, it's fun to be harsh for the sake of being harsh, so /ic/ is sort of caricaturized polar opposite of untrained compliments.
>>
>>2976692
you have no account to log what you've said in the past

all you have is what you have to say
>>
>>2976692
4chan has no rating system and you generally can't link posts to the same person so there's no reputation to worry about
>>
>>2976568
here's a hint, 4chan doesn't give you good critiques just because its harsh.
Good art forums will tear your art apart but give you actual advice regarding them and specifically what's wrong.
4chan critiques just so they can shitpost someone under the guise of being helpful
>>
>>2976692
desu 4chan is only different in that there's only minor cult of personalities, whereas there's for example, a lot of reddit 'celebs' who do nothing but shitpost for imaginary internet points

otherwise general attitude is basically the same

the reddit vs. 4chan circlejerk is ridiculous because they're both shit, and for the most part the same kind of shit
>>
I've lurked /ic/ for a while and I've noticed a lot of advice isn't helpful at all. Often times, it's ambiguous stuff like "study" "anatomy" "gesture" or the "this looks like shit" response.

A lot of anons rationalise this as not wanting to spoonfeed beginners but I think thats taking it too far by not being helpful at all.

You don't need to tell beginners what to do exactly to get better but at least telling them what they did wrong in detail will push them in the right direction rather than saying X is "wrong".

There might be honest opinions here, but there's very little useful input unless you're lucky.

Excellent resources though
>>
File: image.jpg (27KB, 350x320px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27KB, 350x320px
>>2977081
Do you suspect anything?
>>
File: 1452115291545.jpg (42KB, 445x639px) Image search: [Google]
1452115291545.jpg
42KB, 445x639px
>>2977081
It's the same in the /ic/ discord. Not as bad, but still kinda bad. Half the people who post in the critique channel don't know how to give in-depth feedback. Their favorite buzzwords are "a bit," "off," and "a bit off."
>>
>>2977081
This is the problem, Idiots learn the buzzword and throw them around to feel like a big boy without having actuall subtance to back it up.
>>
>>2976568
There are MUCH better forums for learning and getting real feedback. The CGSociety for instance, has a 2D WIP/advice forum that's very good, and they don't put up with most of the nonsense here.

I suspect most of the posters here are more about pushing their own agendas and how they think art should be, with ridiculous expectations, memes, and made up criteria. They just come here for an ego boost shitposting, just like the rest of 4chan.

Find a forum of real beginning artists, and join in. You'll definitely have a better experience.
>>
>>2977098
To be fair, a bit off is something that beginners are good for and its still more specific.
For example if a leg is off, a beginner pointing out they don't like the leg tells you to look for problems in the leg.

While someone on /ic/ would just go "lol anatomy is so bad, go read loomis"
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.