[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

whats the best city to live in and simply work on your skills???

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

File: antonio.jpg (146KB, 960x630px) Image search: [Google]
antonio.jpg
146KB, 960x630px
whats the best city to live in and simply work on your skills???

I want to live in a city for a few months/year where i can focus on developing my art (traditional drawing/painting).

it is essential that the city has a very low cost of living, and i only speak english (unfortunately) so im limited in this sense.

...cities/countries that interest me are Kiev, China, st. petersburg, italy, spain, mexico, belgrade, bucharest... to list a few....

...cities/countries I'm NOT interested in are Berlin, france, London, USA... too expensive/pretentious...

I am wondering if anyone knows of other city/countries which might be what im looking for?

I already have some chops but i want to be in a rich environment and potentially connect with other artists, galleries and sell my work to buy me some time, even if its just to tourists...

Furthermore, things i like:
-cheap rent
-cheap/good food
-old architecture
-warm weather
-women
-people who will understand english
-water i can swim in

...any ideas would be appreciated!
>>
>>2976474
fuck cities
>>
>>2976474
Try Barcelona. It's on the expensive side but it's decent.
>>
any
>>
>>2976487

"...it is essential that the city has a very low cost of living,..."
>San Francisco
>NYC
>Tornonto
>Vancouver
>Berlin
>London
>HK
>etc
>>
>>2976494
then go to thailand or uruguay or some country in the middle of the third world
>>
>>2976474
Good luck. You might find one of those things. All of them? I guess it's good to want things.
>>
Anything with a low cost of living. I live in Madrid and share a flat with my friend. Rent and bills total to about 500€ a month.

Madrid also has the benefit of being hipster central, so you have tons of art galleries, and art shops, and places to practice with models.

We also have cute girls.

>-cheap rent
>-cheap/good food
>-old architecture
>-warm weather
>-women
>-people who will understand english
>-water i can swim in

Literally Madrid.
>>
>>2976530

your 2 minutes of typing may have affected my future in a positive way... thank you sir
>>
>>2976474
You should consider Taipei, Taiwan if you are also considering China. Pretty much everything is cheaper in Taiwan.
Food can be dirt cheap. Lots of ripe tropical fruits as well. Healthcare is also very affordable.

The only thing is that it will be hard to connect with artists if you only speak english.

You might also want to consider Bangkok. The food wasn't that great when I visited, but there are more people who speak english because of all the australian tourists. Transportation isn't as great in Bangkok because the taxis suck.

Barcelona is also pretty good for learning art. I know there is this one art academy that teaches in english.
>>
>>2976546
Best of luck anon.
>>
>>2976474
Not San Francisco... You probably already knew that, but I live there now and I hate it... great art scene tho.
>>
>>2976474
>too pretentious

found the pretentious one.
>>
>>2976474
Lisbon for sure
>cheap rent
>cheap/good food
>old architecture
>warm weather
>people who will understand english (excluding elderly people)
>water i can swim in
all its missing is women, you still have the tourists tho.
>>
>>2976553

>The only thing is that it will be hard to connect with artists if you only speak english.

Not true in my experience. From traveling I've learnt that a lot of Asian artists speak English and are quite accessible. In Taiwan I stayed at an artist's studio I found on Airbnb. I also recently stayed at a studios in KL.

Also most art communities in Asian countries are pretty close and welcoming to Westerners. The only thing that could stop an artist from meeting other artists in Asia is their natural autism.
>>
>>2976474

if you want a place with lots of artists and other creative people and lots of good stuff to paint, islands work well for whatever reason, doesn't need to be in the mediterranean or anything, pretty much any island you go to will have at least a famous author willing to let young artists hang around
>>
>>2976729
>San Francisco..
Are you in tech or an artist? I wonder what it would be like to live in SF if you aren't in tech...
>>
just get money and live in LA
>>
>>2977048
Even WITH money, LA is fucking terrible. Congested, polluted, girls are shallow materialistic whores, tough to climb socially, packed with tourists and libtards, high crime rates.

If you have the money, move to Tokyo. Out of all the world's megatropolis, it's hands down the most comfy and clean. Tokyo does a great job at being convenient, while still being very liveable. And considering it's got a massive anime/manga scene, finding artists is quite easy. If you're white girls will literally throw themselves at you too. Only downside is the language barrier, and the entry barrier. It's tough to get settled in Japan, legally and all that.

I went visit two years ago, and instantly fell in love with the city. It's easily one of the most peaceful and beautiful cities I've ever visited. And if you're into weebshit, it's even better.

https://youtu.be/jlVrNAHcdoc

Next to Madrid, Tokyo is the next choice I'd give to OP, but only cause Madrid is just so easy to settle into, get a job, and sustain yourself.
>>
>>2976474
>a city is too pretentious for me to live in it
you understand how ironical that statement is ?
>>
>>2976530
I live in Madrid too. Do you happen to go to model drawing at Circulo de Bellas Artes?

>>2976546
Best wishes
>>
>>2977244
Sometimes, yes. Used to go more often back in the day, but it's gotten kinda pricy, and I get deminishing returns from it. Now I just take a sketchbook out and walk around and draw a la KJG.

You wanna meet up sometime?
>>
>>2977021
>pretty much any island you go to will have at least a famous author willing to let young artists hang around

What? How does this work?
>>
>>2976474
Florence, absolutely.
>>
>>2977252
not him but im sure it involves you drawing him naked with the guarantee of sex afterward and you get live him for free. especially in his bed
>>
>>2977234
found the weeb
>>
>>2977283
Yeah, but I'm a well-travelled weeb:

https://www.instagram.com/p/xReXznquF3/

European cities > American cities
Tokyo... I wouldn't say is better than all, but damn is it comfy as fuck. Just go visit some day you'll see what I mean, flights to Japan these days are cheap. Totally worth it.
>>
>>2977294
>well-travelled weeb
>>
>>2977277
If you're good enough to switch that to painting Mr Rich's lovers/desired ones instead of being his pet, it's not exactly a terrible gig. Most classical artists painted the mistress of X for X anyway.

Otherwise, yeah Madrid. Prado beats the Gulbenkian too.
>>
Go to Belice small place without big cities, lakes and cheap and everyone speak english
>>
Slavfag here, I've been to Kiev and St. Petersburg.

- Rent can be pretty high in the center of Kiev, but some places are kinda affordable, check AirBnB. Not sure about SB, but Russia is more expensive overall, so expect the prices to be ever higher there.
- Food in Kiev is fucking delicious, though, and not very expensive. Food in SP is a bit worse, but still pretty good.
- Both cities have some beautiful architecture, but there's probably more of it in SB. SB fucking depresses me though, it's a very gloomy city and many locals look like they're dead inside. Traveling by SP's underground makes me wanna kill myself. In Kiev people seem more alive and friendly.
- Both cities are gonna be very cold in the winter and hot in the summer, with SB being a cooler one and Kiev being a warmer one.
- Women are gorgeous in both places, I personally prefer Ukrainian ones.
- You will be lucky to find a person who can speak decent English. Most of them are gonna understand basic sentences, though.
- Kiev has a river, SP has a sea. I don't think people swim in either one, they're probably too cold/dirty. But you can go to swimming pools.
>>
>>2977234
>if you're white girls will literally throw themselves at you
you realize that, no matter where you are in the world, girls will have standards, right? like i'm an asian chick, and i wouldn't touch most weaboo white guys with a ten foot pole.
>>
>>2977294
As a person who has spent a lot of time in Tokyo to visit family, it's highly overrated. I can never quite understand why foreigners love it so much, but I guess it's all the anime. Also LA sucks, but it isn't as bad as you said in your last post. People are pretentious but nice, and if you know the right places to go, it can be a fun time.
>>
>>2977399
That's because most weeaboo white guys are not physically attractive and don't know how to hide their power level, or rarely have other more "normie" interests and hobbies. I'm an outwardly normal, good looking dude with quirky interests, so walking around Tokyo, girls just saw a good-looking white dude touring their city.

Still, whether you do personally or not, you can't deny that a lot of Asian girls fetishise white guys.

>>2977423
Different strokes for different folks man, but I've lived in Mexico, California, Florida, and now Spain, and have travelled across the US and Europe, I personally found Tokyo to be a very endearing city despite its size. I actually had very low expectations for Tokyo considering I'd already been to NYC and London, but was pleasantly surprised by it. Prior to, if I were to choose a place to live in Asia, I'd say somewhere in southern Japan, like Fukuoka, but after visiting Tokyo, I honestly wouldn't mind living there for a year or two.

I plan on visiting Seoul in the near future, so that should be cool as well.

I also look into a lot of factors when seeing cities, things like cleanliness, convenience and weather as well as general cost of living, and culture to factor in quite heavily for me. Tokyo has the first 3 down pat, esp since I prefer humid climates. I also found the Japanese to be super friendly, and I was very well received by them. In the 10 days I was there, I made some cool friends, and hooked up with a few cute girls, all whom I still stay in touch with through fb from time to time. But that's just my experience. I'm an outgoing, adventurous dude in his late 20s who's single and has no attachments, so I have an easy time making friends, and care more about different things than other people would. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
>>
>>2976474
why not prague?
>>
>>2977448
you're super weird, even if you're a troll, you're a weird one.
>>
>>2977478
Sure, I'll take weird. Makes me unique. Being "normal" is super boring anyway. Plus, wouldn't you say "weird" benefits an artist? Creativity and all that. Normal people can't ever think of anything unique or interesting, hell they think Marvelshit and nuStar Wars is the best stuff ever...

Yeah, I'll take weird.
>>
File: holyfuck.jpg (158KB, 650x1425px) Image search: [Google]
holyfuck.jpg
158KB, 650x1425px
>>2977509
>>
>>2977390
Legend. Thank you for this info!!
>>
odessa might be nice I would go somewhere in the black sea area like georgia or romania
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.