[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me about colored pencils /ic/. I'd like some that are

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 49

File: colored-pencils.jpg (190KB, 2100x1312px) Image search: [Google]
colored-pencils.jpg
190KB, 2100x1312px
Tell me about colored pencils /ic/. I'd like some that are above Crayola but aren't Prisma "Made in Mexico" Colors, and nothing too pricey. Can it be done? Thoughts?
>>
File: 051843.jpg (297KB, 600x503px) Image search: [Google]
051843.jpg
297KB, 600x503px
>>2974775
Just go on Dick Blick and get some student artist pencils, my niqqa. I used to use Prisma scholars in school, but I switched to the premier line a while back. Imo, you only need the 24 or the 48 if you're starting out, which is relatively cheap. Good colour selecton too.

Recently got some Faber Castell polychromos, they're lightyears ahead of Prismacolor.
>>
My dad's friend died, he was an artist. He had no artist children/friends/family so his art supplies ended up with me. I got a huge crate of faber castelles, prismacolors, some european brands I have no idea the name of. Along with some other stuff like pastels, markers, and two drafting tables.
I want to use the colored pencils but I don't know where to start. Firstly, what kind of paper should I be using?
>>
>>2975482
Depends on what your drawing skill is.

You want something smooth that doesn't have a lot of tooth and is mid to heavy stock, (like bristol or illustration paper. I recommend Strathmore Bristol board) because you'll be layering like crazy and pressing down really hard. Since you have some really good coloured pencils, understanding the small things that make them different will help you in the long run. People have different ways of using them and figuring out how /you/ want to use them is key to which ones you use the most.

Some points:
1) Pressure < Layers
Layering is more effective and wastes less pencil. Prisma colours wax bloom like crazy, so laying them on thick is a no go.

2) Technique is more or equally important to the brand you use.

3) Research and experiment. The best way to figure out how to use them is to look at how others use them and then go do that. Take a whole blank page and just colour randomly, try different shit, mess around.

Have fun.
>>
>>2975533
>The best way to figure out how to use them is to look at how others use them and then go do that
Do you have any people in mind that are worth learning from? Looking for resources on just about any pencil or marker is bogged down by dumbfucks using them for coloring books.

I mean otherwise you're really asking people to learn from very niche masters of brand specific media. Who is the best Polychromos artist? I dunno buddy, don't think anyone calls themselves that so it'd be helpful to get pointed in his direction.
>>
>>2975674
>Do you have any people in mind that are worth learning from?

Anyone that can adequately colour with coloured pencils can help. There's no one specific 'study this person only' and no techniques (not necessarily results) that are 'wrong'.

At the beginning of using a medium that you're not familiar with, it's more about researching the method and not so much the resulting piece that stemmed from it; yours will be shit at first, no matter what you do, because you're new to it.

Tl;dr: Literally type 'coloured pencil techniques' into Google, Youtube, Tumblr, and Deviantart

Once you've researched techniques, then you can move on to reproductions, Master studies, drawing from life, making up shit, etc. because now you have the backing to support what you want to achieve with the medium.

Browse through this if you like:
http://www.mooresartgallery.com/artlinks8.html

Hope this is slightly helpful.
>>
Reading through this thread is how I know most of you retards don't draw.
>>2974775

Fabel Caster is a good brand OP, so is Prisma Color. Make sure to get the Watercolor ones. They're very soft and blend very well, and you cam use brushes on them after you've laid the color down. A good tin of about 50 pencils should run you about $50.
>cheap
then don't buy color pencils. A good tin of color pencils should last you years, with you only needing to replace the most used up colors for a couple bucks (yes you can buy individual colors from art stores if they're of specific brands). If you're not willing to invest money into a quality product, you're wasting it on anything inferior.
>>
>>2975804
>A good tin of about 50 pencils should run you about $50.
I found Faber-Castell's paper box set of 48 watercolour pencils online for $25... iS DAT GUD?
>>
>>2975835
$0.50 per pencil is good - closeouts and sales are good for finding deals on colored pencil.
>>
File: image.jpg (172KB, 768x846px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
172KB, 768x846px
Lemme just explain visually
>>
>>2975835
Yeah, that's good. I still recommend watercolor soluble ones over anything else, but that's just a personal preference.
>>
File: pic.jpg (379KB, 710x984px) Image search: [Google]
pic.jpg
379KB, 710x984px
>>2975482
Bristol, or illustration board. Cold press for a rougher texture, hot press for smooth and flat. For colored pencil, you want some tooth (texture), so I'd try cold press first.

One thing you can try is painting in watercolor or guache or acrylic, and then use pencils on top to create textures. Colored pencils are wax based, so you don't want to build up too much color, or it gets waxy, an underpainting can help with that. I attached an Italian artist who did that, Oscar Chichoni.
>>
>>2975533
You should never push down hard on colored pencil.
>>
>>2975843
Yeah you shouldn't, but beginners always do. That's why it's better to get them student shit and not high end stuff imo
>>
File: image.jpg (84KB, 722x483px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
84KB, 722x483px
>>2975871
...as long as the price is right!
>>
>>2975533
>>2975693
>reddit spacing
>lol dude just do it
You're no help at all.
>>
>>2975804
>so is Prisma Color
I guess if you enjoy buying a box of 48 colors and half of them being unusable because the lead breaks every 2 centimeters, sure.

>>cheap
Who the fuck are quoting? The nuances between "I don't want to pay an arm and a leg and buy Caran d;Arch" (not too pricey and) and "any old Chinese sweatshop brand will do" (cheap) are worlds apart.
>>
>>2975839
Not even worth $20, those are absolute garbage. The only decent watercolor pencils Faber-Castell makes is the Albrecht Durer line, and even then you might as well pay a little more and get Supracolors instead.
Polychromos are pretty good, though.
>>
>>2974775
You can try watercolor pencils too. They're fun, and They're by far my favorite. And also the only coloring that I'm fairly good at.
>>
Bump
>>
>>
File: 30009433_p0 - おもりん.jpg (2MB, 1637x2386px) Image search: [Google]
30009433_p0 - おもりん.jpg
2MB, 1637x2386px
>>
>>2977904
>>2979980
>>2981638
do you have anything other than anime girls pissing themselves
>>
File: 35396996_p0 - さか文.jpg (1MB, 1381x2394px) Image search: [Google]
35396996_p0 - さか文.jpg
1MB, 1381x2394px
>>2981645
I don't know what else you want out of life.
>>
>>2974775
I'm not answering to your question but I think that /ic/ should look at the Neocolor II of Caran d'ache, they're a really good tool
>>
>>2984053

man the thighs and hips in this one do wonderful things to my dick. Almost excuses the fucked up perspective.
>>
>>2984149
I have a set of 30 and find them pretty useless tbqh. Maybe I just don't have the right approach, but it's a lot harder to control with water than watercolor pencils, and they're not very good to use dry. They're like a really stiff, less pigmented oil pastel.
>>
>>2984149
It's okay anon, people just talking about colored pencils to an extent will be a great help.
>>
I think working solely in colored pencils on any piece is an excessive time investment. I really like using using acrylic, water color, gouache, or markers to lay in most of the drawing and then do the detailed work on top of it.

It saves a ton of time that you would other wise spend layering with colored pencils and water or paint thinner to get good solid blocks of color. Plus I prefer the look of the mixed media.

This below by Jeff Lafferty is a good example.
>>
>>
>>2984246
>This below by Jeff Lafferty is a good example.
Are you retarded? Just post text and images in the same post you newfag.

>>2984248
This is frankly hideous.
>>
>>
File: image.jpg (70KB, 768x382px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70KB, 768x382px
>>2984053
Inspiring shit.

Anyway... It's between this Staedtler brand and Raffine Renoir pencils. The latter are oil-based with a touch of wax.
>>
>>2977904
>>2979980
>>2981638
>>2984053
>>2986224
So, this is kinda nice.
I have a box of Koh-I-Noor polycolor pencils but I find it kinda frustrating to work with so I'm going to practice some techniques and color mixing as far as that is even possible with pencil.

I also have a bit of trouble with sharpening, I usually sharpen my graphite pencils with a knife but these color pencils are way more fragile so I ended up breaking a lot of it.
>>
File: image.jpg (70KB, 794x738px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70KB, 794x738px
>>2984379
>This is frankly hideous.
They say androids never get fat, they just... fade away
>>
File: 36028225_p0 - おもケロ.jpg (2MB, 1642x2617px) Image search: [Google]
36028225_p0 - おもケロ.jpg
2MB, 1642x2617px
>>
>>2989975
What's your brand, creepchan?
>>
File: 559852_1000_1_800.jpg (61KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
559852_1000_1_800.jpg
61KB, 800x800px
I have a set of Faber Castell watercolor pencils.

Are they the same thing as regular artist color pencils?

I like painting with them but I don't really like how they look or feel without water. I'm thinking about getting a set of Polychromos or Prismas but I don't want to waste my money if they're functionally identical to the watercolor pencils I have and don't like.
>>
>>2990056
I doubt the real Kitazinger would be posting here.
>>
>>2990397
Polychromos are not water color pencils, you can't use them with water since they're oil based. Prismas won't work either. (atleast not without mineral spirits). Pencils you can paint with are always clearly labeled as watercolor pencils.
>>
File: mondeluz_palette.jpg (1MB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
mondeluz_palette.jpg
1MB, 1200x1600px
Ok niggers here's the secret weapon. Koh-I-Noor Mondeluz watercolor pencils. These are piss cheap and have unbelievably nice colors for that price.
>>
File: Scan-1.jpg (60KB, 473x162px) Image search: [Google]
Scan-1.jpg
60KB, 473x162px
>>2990397
What don't you like about them? Comparing to Polychromos, the Albrecht Durer are softer and darker. Polychromos keep a point better and are better at layering, since oil-based instead of wax. Pic related are the same color in both pencils, my shit scanner didn't do a good job at showing the differences.

Prismacolors are a downgrade imho, if you want a proper alternative to Faber-Castell you gotta pay more for the Caran d'Aches (Supracolor/Museum for watercolor, Pablo/Luminance for normal pencils).
>>
File: image.jpg (148KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
148KB, 768x1024px
Cop or not?

Are they better than Faber Castell's Durer line?
>>
>>2990429

I know they're not watercolor pencils, retard. I already have watercolor pencils, I'm asking about regular colored pencils.

>>2990466
>the Albrecht Durer are softer and darker

This is what I don't like about them. Not for dry work, anyway.

>Polychromos keep a point better and are better at layering

This is exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks.

>Prismacolors are a downgrade imho

Good to know. I'm in luck, my local store just put Faber-Castells on sale for 20% off.
>>
File: 1407039566884.png (263KB, 562x573px) Image search: [Google]
1407039566884.png
263KB, 562x573px
>>2990549
>I know they're not watercolor pencils, retard
Learn to write then. Your post implies you don't know anything about what the differences are.

> I'm thinking about getting a set of Polychromos or Prismas but I don't want to waste my money if they're functionally identical to the watercolor pencils I have and don't like.
Pencils you can't paint with might be the same as ones you can? Okay then.
>>
>>2990554
>Learn to write then. Your post implies you don't know anything about what the differences are.

Maybe you should learn to fucking read.

I specifically said this:

>I like painting with them but I don't really like how they look or feel without water.
>without water
>WITHOUT WATER

If I'm griping about DRY application of my watercolor pencils and I'm asking about NON-water soluble pencils, why the fuck would you presume that I'm asking about non-soluble pencils with the intention of using them WITH WATER?
>>
>>2990491
You can't totally treat them like watercolour pencils, but they are pretty fun to mess around with. She shills them a lot, but Lachri Fine Art has some more demo videos for Inktense on her YT channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJY4uv6mmJ8
>>
>>
>>2975475
I own these and honestly I still prefer the crayola ones. I just kind of use these to layer but I've never liked the feel of them. Might give the higher end ones a whirl, but I prefer watercolor pencils overall.
>>
>>
>>2994048
Please, don't ever stop.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
Close displayed
>>
File: image.jpg (136KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
136KB, 768x1024px
I needs some guidance relating to the Marco Renoir series.
>>
>>3001557
Blog?
>>
>>3001565
looks fancy
>>
File: image.jpg (233KB, 950x684px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
233KB, 950x684px
>>3004437
It would be interesting to use Renoir pencils to recopy Utrillo's paintings.

https://youtu.be/3Nn303DADu0
>>
>>3004535
This looks like it was painted by a highschooler.
>>
File: image.jpg (109KB, 600x758px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
109KB, 600x758px
>>3004556
Damn you to hell. He was the last great Catholic artist.
>>
>>3004535
eh, I was born in that town
>>
File: image.jpg (239KB, 889x666px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
239KB, 889x666px
It looks like Pissarro mixed with Atari or PS1 graphics.
>>
File: image.jpg (293KB, 900x744px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
293KB, 900x744px
Was he just a meme after all?
>>
>>3004593
That's not Dali
>>
>>
>>
Is there any artist that does really rich pieces with just color pencils?
I feel like pictures in color pencils just look too chalky and abrasive.
>>
>>3008149
>Like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W8itSwiOi4
or
>This?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GM57wsCNA8
>>
>>3008184
That's perfect, that's exactly what i was looking for, thanks.
Wasn't sure color pencils could look not-chalky
>>
>>3008742
Yeah, she's using a wax based colored pencil, so she can get a smooth finish. The oil based ones are more sketchy.
>>
>>
>>
Damn, it keeps getting better and better.
>>
>>2974775
Im glad you didn't say pencil crayons like a fucking retard.
>>
>>3015416
Who even says that? I want names
>>
>>3015446
canadians, of course
>>
File: image.jpg (88KB, 583x583px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88KB, 583x583px
Is there a plus associated with these?
>>
I personally use Faber Castell water colors and mix them with windsor & newton watercolors. I do my values in pen and ink first, then use the colors to add details in the values, and highlights and what not.
>>
>>3014637
https://danbooru.donmai.us/posts?tags=kitazinger
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>3018703
never change that guy who only draws pissing anime girls.
>>
>>3015906

Wait, Americans don't say pencil crayons?
>>
>>3024697
nah we say colored pencil.
>>
Koh-I-Noor’s Progresso woodless colored pencils are nice and easy to blend. These are really good for gestures too since their woodless.
>>
>>3024741

Even in elementary school?
>>
File: image.jpg (90KB, 576x1237px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90KB, 576x1237px
Conté a Paris pencils are referred to as conté crayons too.
>>
>>3024759
>7.6mm
Wouldn't fit easily in a pencil case loop which makes them difficult to travel with.
>>
File: 35472027_p0 - おもリバー.jpg (1MB, 1736x2456px) Image search: [Google]
35472027_p0 - おもリバー.jpg
1MB, 1736x2456px
>>
>>
File: 35140001_p0 - おもフラン.jpg (2MB, 1620x2343px) Image search: [Google]
35140001_p0 - おもフラン.jpg
2MB, 1620x2343px
>>
>>
>>3007434
Stop posting this, I get it.
>>
>>2974775
I'd recommend that you get pencil crayons that are better than Crayola but not as expensive as Prisma. Go to a store that carries these kinds of products and then compare. If you can't do that then you're a pathetic idiot.
>>
>>3029919
I am concerned with what or who is locked up in his closet.
>>
To be honest I'd do the one time investment of some fairly decent pencils because you're going to inevitably want to switch up if you really like them, and even if they don't become a huge part of your work they're very useful for certain things. Prismacolours have better blend but are prone to wax bloom if you go too heavy. Polychromos are cheaper afaik and have better page coverage but don't blend as well. Really it's all down to how you use them, but I wouldn't bother with any Crayola/Faber Castells as the difference is absolutely insane compared to actual pencils. Even Derwent are a great mid priced brand that won't look as washed out and weak as the cheap shit.
>>
>>
>>3025082
To keep them from snapping or tinting the fabric you might still need a clutch to encase it, but other than that it's fine. You're thinking of the hardtmuth leads.

I went with Marco pencils since the pigment is high, the core is narrow, the colour range is broad and younger people won't break them too easily.
Thread posts: 102
Thread images: 49

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.