[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have we exhausted the limits of human expression? Where the fuck

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 12PpMS[1].jpg (328KB, 1058x850px) Image search: [Google]
12PpMS[1].jpg
328KB, 1058x850px
Have we exhausted the limits of human expression?
Where the fuck do you even go when things like pic related already are very old news?
>>
No we haven't
>>
File: modern postmodern.png (760KB, 1095x639px) Image search: [Google]
modern postmodern.png
760KB, 1095x639px
>>2969050
what if we arranged the paint to look like an idealised form, or an honest and human interpretation of the world around us, rather than paint splatters on a canvas?

radical and insane proposition, i know.
>>
'Art' like that ie. requiring no talent, will disappear in time.Should we managed to keep Western civilization going for another 1000 years, stuff like that won't even get a museum showing.

What makes you think popular art at the time isn't forgotten. Check out Meissonier. Dropped like a hot potato.

Some stuff comes round again, but those acrylic drips won't even be in a state of conservation to be kept.
>>
>>2969050
pictures like that may seem way out there to your average pleb but they're actually fundamentally not much different from older art. if human expression was super mario bros we're not even out of world 1-1
>>
>>2969050
you continue responding to contemporary society and culture. abstract expressionism was a product of the time, a reaction against the dominant art trends at the time of its conception, and an outgrowth of earlier trends. it is a product of a particular time/place/culture.

>>2971176
>'Art' like that ie. requiring no talent, will disappear in time.
you're wrong about that though. whether you like the stuff or not, abstract expressionism, and modernism more generally, will always be a massively important and influential part of art history, and a necessary part of any comprehensive discussion on the history of art.
>>
>>2971262
You say that because you're so close in time to it.

I'll wager it will be squashed in the future.
>>
This is where >muh style
comes into play
>>
>>2969050
metamodernism nigger
>>
>>2971271
abstract expressionism continues to influence work to this day, even relatively realistic, figurative work, in terms of mark-making. and it's part of a larger conversation about the changes and new directions that art went in during the modern period, especially (along with surrealism) the focus on the subconscious or unconscious.

We see constant shitposting about abex now, 70 years later, but 70 years later maybe it is a less constant part of the conversation about art. But it will still be an important movement within art history, and I think (just as today) people will still like the spontaneity of abex paintings (and there will still be plenty of detractors).

What other movements this major have vanished from museums and the historical record?
>>
>>2971176
*enamel drips

i can't help but enjoy pollock. it's (((cultural marxist))) bullshit that pictorial art is so derided, but when you just stand in front of one of his big drip paintings it's difficult to not enjoy the composition and colours, imo.

abstract art tends to sell for less, all else being equal. the problem is it being pushed as more serious than traditional art for (((some reason)))
>>
>>2971450
Pollock started using synthetic resin-based paints called alkyd enamels, which at that time was a novel medium. Pollock described this use of household paints, instead of artist’s paints, as "a natural growth out of a need".[40]

He used household paints. His canvases are literally falling to pieces.
>>
>>2971271
>requiring no talent
Right, Pollock had no talent for Art. Yet he's a major historic figure in abstract expressionism.
>won't even get a museum showing
What do you measure talent by? And of course pop art falls out of popularity, pop is a term that describes the up and coming in the art world, you're not saying anything substantial, but you've made an extravagant claim that in one thousand years art from the abstract expressionist movement will not be shown in museum's because it took no "talent" (whatever the hell that means to you) to create and because popular art becomes less popular as time passes.

Just shut the fuck up before you make a fool of yourself any further.

>>2969050
Believe it or not, paint on canvas is not the only means of artistic or human expression. The "arts", encompassing music, traditional art, digital art, and so forth are ever changing in terms of mediums used for expression, socio-political factors which influence artists and creators (thus influencing pieces and possibly ushering in new era's of art), if you mean to say "Where do we go after shitting on a canvas" then my answer would be "paint it pink".
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.