[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been looking online for 3D tools to use as reference

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: head.png (152KB, 1008x1030px) Image search: [Google]
head.png
152KB, 1008x1030px
I've been looking online for 3D tools to use as reference for human anatomy. I want something that will let me rotate a body at will, so I can pick the angle. The human head has been a real struggle for me.

I started using sketchup a while back (I use sketchup at work, so I'm surprised it took me this long to think of it). Sketchup is free, there's models you can download or import from more functional programs, and the camera tools are, bar none, the most accessible. I'm having trouble finding better human models, but I've only just started doing this.

So, sketchup as a reference tool for anatomy. Discuss.
>>
File: head shadows.png (125KB, 590x753px) Image search: [Google]
head shadows.png
125KB, 590x753px
Oh yeah, you can also smooth out the vertices and add shadows from different times of the day, and rotate around. Some programs rotate the light source as you rotate your view, for some fucking reason. Not sketchup.
>>
File: head shadows 2.png (176KB, 633x717px) Image search: [Google]
head shadows 2.png
176KB, 633x717px
same lighting, different view
>>
3ds max is also free as a student licence, much better
>>
>>2969037

I think you want to look into daz3d. I hate the user interface, but it has some decent anatomy.
Honestly Blender is also free and way better than Sketchup for this task. It's very fast and streamlined to build house like structures but I can't find many reasons to use it over Blender for this purpose.
>>
>>2969065
blender also has a pretty shitty interface. bth this seems like a bad way to learn to draw, when you pose the models they dont deform like a human would.
>>
>>2969087

Well I disagree, comes down to personal taste I suppose. I got pretty comfortable with Blender after one night of tutorials and it's not that much harder to learn than Sketchup in my opinion.

I think it's more of tool for the intermediate or advanced artist who uses 3d as a digital maquette for lighting and perspective reference and can draw figures from imagination rather well already. I find it useful for referencing cast shadows and extreme foreshortening and things like that. I never copy the models in a literal fashion though.
>>
>>2969065
Mostly ease of use. Sketchup's made for easy camera control, and the user interface is great. Blender is better at just about everything else. For my purposes here, I'm not building stuff, just looking at the stuff.

It's just a constant thing with 3D tools. Their interface is a fucking nightmare. I don't want to spend all day figuring out where the light tool is. I just want to look at a model. And I think that's where the advantage lies here.
>>
>>2969087
It's true. My expectations aren't great, I just want to see a head in 3D.

There's some other tools out there, though I forget the name. One lets you pick the body type, pose them, and adjust the camera. Might be better. But it costs money. Aaaand I can't remember the name.
>>
>>2969087

Well I disagree, comes down to personal taste I suppose. I got pretty comfortable with Blender after one night of tutorials and it's not that much harder to learn than Sketchup in my opinion.

I think it's more of tool for the intermediate or advanced artist who uses 3d as a digital maquette for lighting and perspective reference and can draw figures from imagination rather well already. I find it useful for referencing cast shadows and extreme foreshortening and things like that. I never copy the models in a literal fashion though.
>>
File: Capture02.jpg (66KB, 1009x829px) Image search: [Google]
Capture02.jpg
66KB, 1009x829px
If you have w10 the build-in "3D Builder" program is a pretty decent model viewer, otherwise blender.
>>
>>2969125
yes, shadows and reflections can be a bit tricky, but i think its a fun challange to get it right by trying to figure it out without reference. doing a bit of both is probably the best
>>
>>2969037
If you're trying use learn stuff like muscle groups etc. try www.biodigital.com

Disadvantage is that it's not posable and the app is slow, but you can toggle bones/muslces and rotate in 3d
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxZj_gqvxOs
>>
>>2969037
I think you would like sketchfab. Its an online 3d model viewer with a lot of content. Searching "anatomy" brings a lot of good reference stuff, they also have 3d scans.

https://sketchfab.com/search?q=Anatomy&sort_by=-pertinence&type=models
>>
>>2969037
istebrak offers portraitstudio which would be a really good resource but costs like a hundred bucks. still waiting for someone to upload it
>>
>>2969747
fantastic, really hope this takes off
>>
>>2969747
Interesting, their 3d viewer just went live last week. Gonna keep an eye on this site - hope to see one of their other female models up for purchase
>>
>>2969758
Oh, nice. This solves my big problem right now, that being not enough good 3d models to download into sketchup. Thanks mang
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.