[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what system of anatomical proportion/form simplification do you

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: 1474697963128.jpg (449KB, 1612x1203px) Image search: [Google]
1474697963128.jpg
449KB, 1612x1203px
what system of anatomical proportion/form simplification do you prefer most for construction/imagination drawing and why?

looking for some place to start and stick with instead of getting confused by multiple dogmas, at least early on. so far i know of loomis, bridgman, huston, and mentler.
>>
>>2968146
Cranial units did the trick for me. It's been very helpful in proportioning body parts for non human characters.
>>
learn the basics of measuring, draw tons of portraits and sooner than later you won't need to measure anything
>>
>>2968253
Hysterically untrue. Who told you that? Or did you pull it straight out of your ass?

Do you really think the masters like DaVinci, or Michelangelo, did no measuring? Really?

You know that cliche of an artist holding his thumb up to look at a painting or a model? Where do you think that comes from? It comes from artists actually fucking doing that, to make measurements, to get the proportions and distances right.
>>
>>2968278
They measured automatically

If you honestly think that they did the thumb measure for everything you really have no idea

You start off doing that but after several drawings from life you can see by yourself the amount of eyes that make a nose, the vertical lines that unite the pupils with the border of the mouth, and so on. Git gud
>>
>>2968296
>They measured automatically
No, they didn't.

And I didn't say everyone used a thumb.

Just admit you pulled it out of your ass, and let it go. Don't make me start posting artists with the measuring tools they used.
>>
>>2968299
He said with the intent of drawing from imagination, I just said to draw from life to get a hang of it and internalize the range of proportions

I don't know from where you'd measure something that's in your mind
>>
Gottfried Bammes is very good for learning anatomy
but learning how to draw things that have a believable sense of balance and weight is fundamental too and goes hand in hand with proportion
>>
>>2968146
Just look at Proko's and Vilppu's approaches and read Hampton's book. Krenz has some real nice drawings as well.
After a bit of mileage you'll know the real anatomy and can use any 3D form that fits the exact drawing you're working on. Sometimes shoulder looks more like a box, sometimes an egg, most of the time an egg with one or two planes sliced off.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.