[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>John William Godward was an English painter from the end

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 17

File: 320px-Un_bain_pompeien[1].jpg (51KB, 320x716px) Image search: [Google]
320px-Un_bain_pompeien[1].jpg
51KB, 320x716px
>John William Godward was an English painter from the end of the Neo-Classicist era
>his style of painting fell out of favour with the arrival of Picasso
>He committed suicide at the age of 61 and is said to have written in his suicide note that "the world is not big enough for myself and a Picasso".

damn, the art world is brutal
>>
>>2967934
He should have painted Space Marines.
>>
>>2967934
No, artists are just whiny babies
>>
It's the fault of the 18th century normies.
>>
why didnt he just kill picasso
>>
>>2967934
Are we meant to be impressed by that image?

Can you seen her fucking arm?
>>
that anatomy is a bit fucky
>>
>>2968061
>>2968073
the anatomy is correct
you can see that her figure is foreshortened, right?
>>
>>2968073
>>2968061
idk what you guys are seeing but that looks perfect to me.
>>
>>2968061
>>2968073
>neo-/ic/
>>
>No photographs of Gorward are none to survive
>>
I can't decide between him having too much or too little self-esteem
>>
>>2968055
kek
>>
>>2967934
Gonna need source on this. Stories like those about artists are just made up most of the time, so I don't believe it without proof.
>>
It's pretty interesting that I took one look at the marble and thought "reminds me of Alma-Tadema" and turns out he was taught by him. Small world. Also I agree, he should have murdered Picasso instead of himself.
>>
>>2967934
no one can touch the stylistic breadth and mastery of picasso. dude could paint however the fuck he wanted and was damn good at it

you gotta give JWG some mad props tho, he was pretty much perfect. at the same time, being so concerned about popularity that you kys is the lamest thing I've ever heard of
>>
>>2968154
>even when you git gud still shameful
>>
>>2968458
~soft
>>
>>2968458
>that fabric

Muh dick
>>
>>2968458
It's no wonder he killed himself, look at how perfect his artwork is.
>>
File: godward8.jpg (376KB, 594x700px) Image search: [Google]
godward8.jpg
376KB, 594x700px
>>2967934
>>
>/ic/ fapping over Bouguereau
>well, that's max pleb, but hey, every other schoolgirl has poster with Klimt or Mucha, let them live
>/ic/ now idolizes Godward

Holy fuck guys, I prefered you when you were inspired by chinese digitalrobots. You don't need all that draftsmanship training, you need a surgery to bring back your taste. And by surgery I mean classic lobotomy.
Jesus Christ that wept over our fuckery, it was really long time since I experienced such disgust and schadenfreude.
>>
>>2968506
Haha yeah whoever likes Godward is a real retard hahaha yeah....
>>
>>2968518

>laughing like a retard
>trying to be sarcastic but being just braindead

Here, here, poor 'tard you, let's do something about that drooling, ok?
>>
>>2968154
I keep forgetting how childish and vindictive some families can be
>>
>>2967934
yeah it's one of those stories that happened Supposedly happened. I couldn't find any reliable source on that other than wikipedia.
nonetheless, even if he commited suicide, it would be stupid to think it was because of picasso or because he wasn't acknoledged enough for his work. that's too narrow a perspective.

also, and I am aware that this is only my personal opinion, classicism is boring as fuck. it's overstylized, shallow nice paint. nothing more. it's not a question about realism or abstraction, but these classicistic paintings are all the same.
now a painting of Velazquez for example feels alive to me. that feeling, that the person could jump out of the canvas, I don't have it with any classicistic painters at all.
>>
>>2968506
>I preferer chinese digitalrobots.
Oh, okay.
>>
>>2968458
How do you even achieve this kind of level? Fuck, the only way I would ever be able to come close to something like this would be to zoom in with photoshop and paint each individual pixel the correct color and value from a photo reference.
These artists do it traditionally with paint and no photos. It's god damn wizardry!!!
>>
>>2967934
yeah more like the art world is filled with self centered assholes who can't deal with their crap becoming unfashionable
>>
>>2968683
>>2967192
>>
>>2968594
Cool never knew Velazquez was a Game of Thrones fan.
>>
>>2968506
>a single thread about something tragic that happened to a painter means we idolize him
not very bright, are you?
>>
>>2968594
it's mostly taken from his biography, which is based on testimonials by relatives and some of his contemporaries
>>
>>2968453
He really should have murdered P.

Shame we don;t know what he looked like, and that his family were so ashamed of him.
>>
>>2968061
>>2968073
It's fine you idiots.
>>
>>2967934
drawing feels like a lost cause
even people who seem good end up being one trick ponies
and at the end of the day there is no money to be made as industry has moved on to 3d modeling
>>
>>2967934
That's his fault only. He was a bitch.
>>
more likely he kiled himself because his family rejected him and after all those years he couldnt cope with it
>>
>>2968055
rer
>>
>>2969032
>see a single painting of a single person
>everyone becomes one trick ponies
really made me think
>>
Lawrence Alma Tadema or bust
>>
>>2969273
I love Tadema, but Gerome.
>>
>>2969337
Holy fucking shit, how did he create such a vibrancy with that body?
>>
>>2968458
>no one can touch the stylistic breadth and mastery of picasso.

picasso was a toddler smearing shit and the only reason people like him is because they're pretentious and want to feel sophisticated.

our opinions are equally valid. that's art, motherfuckers.
>>
>>2969339
Skill.

You have to see this painting in person, the scans don't do it justice. It's a jewel. The colors are insane - the turquiose of the tiles is mesmerizing. It's hanging in the Legion of Honor in SF, I go to see it all the time. A lot of the skin tones are blown out in the photos, it's just too delicate to capture. You can see paint strokes in person - he was using small brushes, and very, very thin washes of color, built up to get that vibrancy.

His color control is his strongest skill - his other work is just as amazing. Gerome's colors are amazing. Tadema was very similar, I've seen his "Spring" at the Getty in Malibu - again, photos can't do it justice. Tadema's work is beautiful, but Gerome just had a better feel for movement, and color, and drama. He did great marble, like Tadema, but it's everything else that makes him greater.

Look at the subtlety of the reflections on the floor. It's insane.
>>
>>2969339
the turquoise background really helps bring out the flesh tones.
>>
>>2968594
I love the portraits of Prince Balthasar.
>>
>>2969349
Sorry anon - nobody on /ic/ gives a shit about this. They all think Gerome is a meme.
>>
>>2969659
Why did you post this?
>>
>>2969349
i have seen this one in person and it sucked, actually looks worse than pictures, i guess because of the scale. but funnily enough there was one neckbeardy dude who actually for real smelled like cum who couldn't take his eyes off it..i guess what i'm asking is, why do you smell of cum?
>>
>>2969701

you should go to the waifu threads and stay there
>>
>>2968458
What the fuck am I reading. Picasso was an absolute trash tier artist, he was just a great fucking salesman and a personality. He doesn't compare with JWG in the slightest when it comes to skill.

This world is cancer, true masters aren't recognised anymore.

Great artists don't get the exposure because of furry degenerates surfacing, the art world is on the brink of change. In 10-20 years furry artists will be the new picassos. Literally kill me now please.
>>
>>2969893
I agree to an extent.
Fortunately this kind of disgrace only takes place on 4chan and DeviantArt. Real artists are still very much alive and the art world is not going to change that much because of some disgusting sexually depraved social retards.
>>
File: image.php.jpg (172KB, 599x828px) Image search: [Google]
image.php.jpg
172KB, 599x828px
>>2969893
is this a joke post?
>>
>>2968134
>>2968134
proportions are wrong.
>>
>>2968594
agreed.
the mastery of oil is impressive, but the subject matter is dull.
>>
>>2969917
No, compared to real artists he wasn't that good. I'm not saying he couldn't draw, he obviously could. But compared with others he doesn't shine
>>
>>2969945
who could?
>>
>>2969945
>compared to real artists he wasn't that good
He literally surpassed Rafael by the time he was 15 or so, and then went on to spearhead several different, brand new avenues of expression. Picasso was a genius, senpai
>>
>>2969927
nope
>>
>>2969945
he was good at what he did, and people like what he did
>>
>>2969893
Please kill yourself
>>
File: Nibba.jpg (57KB, 612x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Nibba.jpg
57KB, 612x1024px
>>2968055
"letter" "different letter" "same letter as the first letter"
>>
>>2969337
If I sat on that stick box thing it'd get completely fucked up.
>>
>>2968073
It's called too much fat
>>
>>2968061
I can see her pussy
>>
>>2968055
If he knew to do the right ting he would not have chosen art to begin with
>>
File: 1488978976790.png (8KB, 687x450px) Image search: [Google]
1488978976790.png
8KB, 687x450px
>there are people that unironically like cubism and picassos non-realistic art

Im not saying he didnt have skill, i just dont see anything appealing about wonky shapes with flat colors to make "art"

Maybe my eyes percieve picassos work in an alternate reality where he was actually garbage but I would never hang up his "stylistic" paintings in my room unless I was paid to
>>
>>2970519
>zxz
>>
File: tumblr_o2rmt6bM6F1v2uce7o1_1280.png (229KB, 720x653px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o2rmt6bM6F1v2uce7o1_1280.png
229KB, 720x653px
hmm how to go about this

depression & hard work are the two factors that a great painter manipulates into
ikigai (reason for living)

depression = d
Basic Needs are not met (working class, Construction worker, working man, paycheck to paycheck waitress)
not-depressive = D
Basic Needs are met ( Intelligencia, middle class, teachers scholars)

Hard work = w
requires full commitment of mind body and spirit, the person either enjoys it or doesn't , but generally this comes with trying something outside ones expertise or comfort zone ( hard labor, trade )
Easy-relax = W
comes naturally, plays to one's strengths, but easy to stagnate
(think business, stocks, scammy shit in general, where there is little risk and great profit to be had, playing the suckers, having the system work for you)

Depressive Hard-Work dw
Slavery -> does not care for true artw, taste is generally kitsch because it offers an escape from the harshness of reality (disneyland)
depressive Easy-Relax dW
Scammers/Leeches -> cares for art as long as it is (maximally) profitable: typically requires little work so the curator can make a lot of works. regardless of the content, think of the guys who push modern art (Duchamp, Turner award reciepients)
not-depressive Hard work Dw
Most of /ic/, those who think anything can be achieved through hard work and worship classicism. If art is all skill and no spirit, (aka a competition) then first place would go to a machine.
not-depressive Easy-Relax DW
The talented. rarely though do they take an interest in art outside their own however. prodigies with little art history knowledge.

Great(timeless) art appeals to all. period.

it offers an escape to the dw, it is easy to sell for the dW, it shows effort which impresses the Dw, and (this one's important) it catches the eye of fellow artists (DW) working at the same time, like in the OP
>>
>>2969895
>>2969893
>>2973491

It's not subject matter that makes your art good, it's how you execute it. A lot of folks like Picasso's stuff because they're certain that it's purely authentic. His couldn't be done purely from tracing photos or drawing heavily from reference. Additionally, he was able to execute it completely different several times as opposed to the artist in the OP drawing the same model with the hairstyle over and over again.

Yeah, it has pretty rendering, but there's several other artists who did that way better in the past. Why should anyone look at him when they can look at others?
>>
>>2969273
I literally thought these two were the same guy.
>>
>>2968061
redline pls
>>
>>2969659
>>2969349
I do, Anon.
>>
>>2973639
That looks extremely uncomfortable.
>>
>>2969337
my nigga
>>
>>2968073
sure it is, broski
>>
>>2973564
Someone explain this mission and vocation.
>>
he sounds like a bit of an edgelord
>>
>>2968055
He would have done the world a huge favor.
>>
>>2976439
nice edgy opinion here's your >you
>>
>>2976442
Go suck a dick, pleb.
>>
>>2969273
That 'soft lens' effect and the over-the-top colours are really tacky. It's as if someone who makes murals in Italian restaurants for a living got really good.
>>
I must be a culturless brainlet with zero appreciation for art, because despite admiring the hard work and passion of the artists posted here, I just don't feel much about them.
>>
>>2976960
What kind of artists do you like? I used to be like you once, but now that I'm a better artist, I understand just how difficult it is to execute what these artists did.
>>
>>2976961
I don't know any names, to be honest. I like concept artists that worked on the Metroid Trilogy, Blade Runner, and some random internet peeps that work on sci-fi. I am somewhat of a /beg/gar still, so maybe that's the reason I haven't dwell deeper.
>>
>>2967934
>>He committed suicide at the age of 61 and is said to have written in his suicide note that "the world is not big enough for myself and a Picasso".

fucking picasso...
>>
>>2973587
pls leave
>>
>>2976993
You are literally an artistic dunce. Dont know any artists, but "dont get" some of the best artists that have lived, beginner artist that comes to ic.

Please keep your uneducated opinions to yourself, until you learn a modicum about art.
>>
File: 1484196907356.gif (428KB, 200x183px) Image search: [Google]
1484196907356.gif
428KB, 200x183px
>>2977007

That's exactly what I was doing already, pal.
>>
>>2973587
>A lot of folks like Picasso's stuff because they're certain that it's purely authentic. His couldn't be done purely from tracing photos or drawing heavily from reference.

What a pleb way of thinking. The only thing that matters is the end result. Not how you did it.
>>
>>2977224

Both are what made his work valuable. The novelty behind his material at that time is that you couldn't recreate his paintings with a camera, artwork, or photograph like JWG.

Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with you as your philosophy is essential for commercial art like illustration, but we all know that they don't share the same pricetag as Picasso's paintings.
>>
File: 1489335609079.png (283KB, 500x423px) Image search: [Google]
1489335609079.png
283KB, 500x423px
>>2967934
>arrival of Picasso
>end of the Neo-Classicist era
>>
you sound like an idiot complaining about why nickelback is famous when someone can play mozart blindfolded or something. yeah fame and popularity is sometimes random, yes there is some group mentality about liking what is acceptable to like, but that's just how it works.
>>
>>2968061
>>2968073
Next time some retard critiques your anatomy and tells you it's shit. Remember these two idiots.
>>
>>2977687
That's correct. Neo-classicism turned into even more of a academic pursuit once the avant-garde of the early 20th came to play.
>>
I sometimes wonder why does /ic/ even have these threads. Gerome? Velazquez? Durer? Why are you discussing these people? You're clearly not into traditional European art work.

You're right. Their proportions are wrong. The colors are tacky. The subject matters are dull. They're absolute trash memes.

Go back to your furries and your chinkus digitalis. It's the only existence you know.
>>
File: w3VGAS.jpg (173KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
w3VGAS.jpg
173KB, 1600x900px
>>2978007
post work faget
>>
>>2978007

Are you an white nationalist who loves drawing knights? Nothing against you, but you're not going to be motivated to improve as older artists made better material than you.
>>
File: picasso the hack.png (617KB, 1000x533px) Image search: [Google]
picasso the hack.png
617KB, 1000x533px
>this thread
I thought we got rid of Picassofags a long time ago.
Thread posts: 100
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.