[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you ground a character, give them a sense of "weight?.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: here's your.gif (320KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
here's your.gif
320KB, 400x400px
How do you ground a character, give them a sense of "weight?. I'm getting better at anatomy but I can't come up with a natural looking pose to save my life and I'm pretty much limited to drawing figures floating in space at different angles.
>>
>>2967159
>references
>>
>>2967164
I'm trying to be an animator; I don't have any interest in being a straight up illustrator and rotoscoping looks retarded pretty much always so I have to try and learn to do without references except for the purpose of anatomy and pose study gnomesaiyan
>>
>>2967166
Use references to get ideas about gesture, not rotoscoping.
>>
>>2967159
read preston blair
>>
>>2967159
Here's an useful trick I learned somewhere.
When drawing figures, first draw the body, then the feet/hands. Ensure the feet/hands are grounded somewhere. Then finally, connect the hands/feet to the body. That way, you can ensure your hands/feet are in the correct position in space and that they actually touch the surrounding world.
>>
>>2967437
sounds hard though, you'd have to really be sure about certain points
>>
>>2967437
That works great for hands, I don't know about feet.

I always plant the feet and draw up to the pelvis, because that's the center of gravity. Then I draw the torso and everything else.
>>
>>2967159
Advice from another anon when I asked the same qustion: draw feet as boxes glued to the ground plane before cutting out actual feet out of these boxes. Same for pelvis if the figure is sitting etc., just make an effort to put the abstracted parts into correct perspective first.
>>
Thanks for the advice guys. When drawing from imagination OR observation I've always started from the head but by the time I get to the limbs in particular I don't know what the fuck is going on, for real. Some of these ideas sound pretty helpful.
>>
giving your character weight is mostly in the legs and hips: always lower the hip slightly, and always bend the knees slightly.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.