[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can anyone tell me if this is worth it? I can't afford a

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: 230.png (743KB, 1559x767px) Image search: [Google]
230.png
743KB, 1559x767px
Can anyone tell me if this is worth it? I can't afford a cintiq so I'm trying to look at other screen tablets that are cheaper
>>
Are you a working professional? If not, just get one of the cheaper tablets that don't have a screen. Ones like that aren't necessary outside of top end usage.
>>
>>2957120
Ive heard from professionals that cintiqs aren't that great. Just get intuos or other huion, i don't trust these cheap lcd tablets
>>
>>2957129
I have a cintiq, and I think it's amazing, granted I haven't tried other tablets, but cintiq has met all my needs to a T.
>>
>>2957122

They aren't necessary FOR top end usage, but that doesn't mean they're not nice.
>>
>>2957140
A Lamborghini would sure be nice too, but its definitely not necessary. Especially when it costs all that money which OP apparently has issues with.
>>
>>2957120
I have the 190
pretty great except the color distorts when you're not looking straight at it.
>>
>>2957120
Dude it's not that far off from a cintiq...Just save up a little longer to get a cintiq instead of taking a gamble.

These offbrand ones are unreliable, have shitty to know warranties and support, and are notoriously difficult to install.
Every single one i used had horrible pen response compared to my cintiq.

Surface pro is one of the best competitors from my research but more so to the companions.

I tried multiple tablets from multiple off brands (yiynova, huion, and one i don't remember anymore that i returned immediately) and hated them all compared to my cintiq.
>>
>>2957167
I got my GT-190 for $300 tho
>>
>>2957120
Some say it is a headache to deal with Huion/XP-Pen screens as they have terrible support and their products always end showing issues, be it software or hardware. On the other side Wacom is meme-tier like Apple and it also has their software issues but no one address them on this because just like Adobe Photoshop (overglorified) and Autodesk Maya (which for anything not rig/animation related is shit) they're industry standard.

You also have to be conscious that anything that is not a Wacom Cintiq 27QHD is not precise for color at all. Cintiq 22HD, Huion GT220v2 and XP-Pen 22E all three output 72% of Adobe RGB gamut, 27QHD is the only thing out there that outputs 97% of Adobe RPG colorspace gamut. There's also a common tip inaccuracy problem on every tablet with screen when you use the pen over the edges. The more you pay the less this becomes an issue, and yes, Wacom 13HD and 22HD/22UX have this problem too.

With Wacom you pay "premium" price for moderate driver issues, sometimes touch, and pens that do not have battery and can be tilted, and the occassional dead port. With XP-Pen and Huion you pay for moderate driver issues, higher chance of worse hardware problems than with Wacoms products like dead pixels on arrival, no touch, no tilt and batteries in pens.

It's kind of a gamble, but I suppose paying 600 for something that wacom sells for three times that price isn't that bad.
>>
>>2957377
Is touch something really needed for a screen tablet? It doesn't seem like it would be very necessary.
>>
>>2957396
If I had something as big as a 27QHD I'd probably use it, but it has a wireless controller so theres better ways to control the camera in software like Zbrush. I never use it on my tablet just like tilt as I find both really gimmicky and even hindering, and even if I had a 22HD (tried it already) I'd prefer to have a keyboard nearby for panning or shortcuts. I don't use express keys at all.

Now, if you come from a traditional painting background then tilt may not be as gimmicky as I make it out to be, however the ones that only offer that are Wacom displays as far as I know.
>>
>>2957377
>You also have to be conscious that anything that is not a Wacom Cintiq 27QHD is not precise for color at all. Cintiq 22HD, Huion GT220v2 and XP-Pen 22E all three output 72% of Adobe RGB gamut, 27QHD is the only thing out there that outputs 97% of Adobe RPG colorspace gamut.
How many people buying these tablets actually print their work? And out of those that do, how many don't have a properly calibrated monitor to check their colors with? Full aRGB coverage is not important for digital painting. If you're a photographer or graphic designer it'd be another story.
>>
>>2957398
But for instance, on a 13HD, touch is pretty much whatever?
I'm thinking about buying a screen tablet toward the end of the summer and getting a 13HD with no touch takes down the price like $200.
>>
>>2957396
I payed the small extra for the Cintiq 22HD Touch.

The touch is definitely useful. You can get by without it just fine, but 2 main benefits are touch panning and touch zooming. It's very easy (and fun) to pan around your piece with 2 fingers when you're zoomed in, and it's very easy to zoom in/out with a pinch/flick with 2 fingers.

These are things that could easily be assigned to the hotkeys on the tablet, but I enjoy the touch features over this.
>>
>>2957404
It all relies on your workflow. Touch allows you to use gestures, zoom with pinching, rotating the canvas by touching the display with two fingers and twisting your hand, etc. In my case I prefer to use the options available in every software through keyboard shortcuts. I have no experience with 13HD Touch but it must work exactly the same as in Intuos Pro.

I have to say that I once had an issue with Photoshop as rotating the canvas with touch then zooming in and out didn't work properly (it zoomed in/out using the middle of the canvas as reference point instead of the area I pinched) while shortcut options worked fine. Other software worked fine on that so maybe it was just software related.
>>
>>2957408
>>2957410
Okay, neato.
Would you consider it worth it to save for a 22HD instead of getting a 13HD?
I am relatively serious about art, but my main focus is writing and I'm not too incredible at art yet, only started drawing like a year ago. I'd probably have to wait until Winter of this year instead of the end of summer to be able to safely afford a 22 rather than a 13, though.
Is the difference in size worth the price?
>>
>>2957416
>Would you consider it worth it to save for a 22HD instead of getting a 13HD?
If you can afford it go for it. 22HD is really big and you won't rely as much on panning around the screen like you will probably do with a 13HD. The only pro of the 13HD in this comparison is if you're going to move around a lot with a laptop.
>>
>>2957425
Sounds good to me. My current little tablet should be fine for a while as I improve, so looks like I'm saving for a 22.
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it <3
>>
>>2957120
I've had one for a while now (GT 220 V2) and it's pretty neat.

The only issue I've had so far is Paint Tool Sai not working with it.
>>
>>2957377
Would saving up for the new 16pro be a better choice then?

also what about ugee tablets? Anyone have any experience with those
>>
>>2957416
> mainly a writer, only been drawing for a year
> looking into buying a large, professional display tablet

seriously? well, this feels like a huge waste of time. how about you draw something on paper and post it before we tell you spend $2k. A tablet doesnt replace basic fundamentals.
>>
File: TyRVDZQ.jpg (650KB, 4000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
TyRVDZQ.jpg
650KB, 4000x2000px
>>2957517
I have the 16pro, the tablet itself is great...but the included pen has problems. The pro2 pen produces wobble lines, it could be a driver issue. See pic (not mine). Also getting 4k resolution has proven to be difficult.
>>
>>2957120
I've been using a Samsung 7 series Slate with Windows 8 for about 3 years now and I have some money to piss away. Are there any other GOOD modern tablet PCs that can handle 10k pixel Photoshop paintings at 300 dpi without shitting the bed?
>>
I just picked up an nvidia shield k1 with the direcstylus for amateur drawing, did I do good?
>>
>>2957129
As a proffessional I would accept no other than a cintiq.
>>
>>2958304
That's a driver issue. The wobbly lines thing has been a recurring problem on all tablets for years. I'm experiencing it on my work cintiq and it's all but stopped me from doing personal art on those computers. On the other hand I've had a 13hd and a macbook pro for years and have had 0 problems what so ever. Also cintiqs have drastically less lag on macs so it feels that much better.

But anyway, I've heard downloading a legacy driver helps solve this problem, but I guess that's not possible with the new cintiqs? If it is, try that, if not, you'll just have to wait for a driver update.
>>
>>2957129
I have a 24HD Cintiq. It's the best piece of art equipment I've ever owned. I didn't get the touch, as I didnt think it was worth the extra cash, and don't regret it.
>>
>>2957167
The new Surface Pro is probably my next computer - I'll sell my Cintiq then. Or keep it. Don't know.
>>
>>2957410
>>2957416

I would say the touch is totally a waste of money.

For one, zooming and rotating your canvas can be done faster, and more accurately with the simple press of a keyboard shortcut. Use scurbby zoom and set rotate canvas to one of the keys and you'll have an infinitely more enjoyable experience maneuvering your canvas. As for browsing the internet and doing other touch related things, trust me, you'd rather use a mouse or your pen. Chances are you'll have two screens anyway and one will be devoted to photoshop or whatever other program you would need a cintiq for, which means you'll use the mouse or pen anyway on the other screen where your browser will be.

As for size, the 13 is totally fine. I've had one for a while and occasionally I do notice its size limitation but it hasn't been a problem. The 22 is really nice and having that extra screen real-estate helps.

I would say save up for the 22, especially if you're using a pc and not a laptop as with the 13 there is the option of portability.
>>
>>2957377
I have a 24HD Cintiq, and have not had any of the issues you listed. It's been rock solid for one day.

Color accuracy, from the box? LOL. Have you ever heard of calibrated monitors? I own one, and calibrate my monitors, and the Cintiq is dead on accurate when I do. (Pantone Color Munki) NO monitor comes from the factory accurate. Very few monitors output all of the RGB spectrum, except very high end color correcting monitors, and those require calibration. I won't go into it here, but I'm trained in color correction and you have no clue what you're talking about.

BTW - the 24HD covers 97% of the RGB spectrum. That last 3%? Either doesn't matter, or should be done by professionals. I leave that to my pre-press guys.

On top of that, the Cintiq is not intended for absolute color accuracy. If you're doing color correction on a Cintiq, you're doing it wrong.

As for "overgloried" Photoshop, it's an industry standard. There are plenty of hobby level painting programs that are free, but I pay Adobe so when I send files, they're accurate and render correctly. Same for Wacom. I've had my Cintiq for 4 years, and it's rock solid. It's a devise someone could build a career on. The cheap Chinese knockoffs that I tried felt like they'd break if I pushed on them too hard.

Yes, they're expensive. Yes, they're worth it. Companies like Blizzard and Pixar and ILM and Sony Animation rely on them.
>>
>>2957408
I just use the spacebar in Photoshop to pan, and I have all my buttons on the Cintiq set up for the commands I use the most. It's pretty effortless. Touch wasn't worth it for me when I bought mine.
>>
>>2959462
>I have a 24HD Cintiq, and have not had any of the issues you listed. It's been rock solid for one day.
wasnt cintiq 24hd the 27qhd of its time? i remember those being over the 2000 dollars mark some years ago

>As for "overgloried" Photoshop, it's an industry standard.
which is what he said before
i dont see a reason for companies or artists to rely on photoshop that much as psd or psb file types became industry standard and every single other software out there paid or free supports it
it may be extremely useful for photobashing with of all the fancy effects and tools it offers but if you're not using that then why hinder yourself when there's corel painter or sai which offer better tools for painting

>>2959449
why would you sell your cintiq in the first place
>>
>>2959484
I paid $2500 for mine.

I'd sell it, because the Surface Studio would replace it. I meant Studio, not Pro.

I'm gonna let the Photoshop thing go, it's too in depth to go into. The reasons why we rely on Photoshop are the things under the hood - anyone can license the format, but what Photoshop does, especially in publishing? It's really important, on a professional level. Also, every job I've had as a creative professional paid for a copy of Photoshop.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.