[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /ic/ think of Jan Urschel? I just discovered him, I

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: GIS_JU_0031_h.jpg (671KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
GIS_JU_0031_h.jpg
671KB, 1920x1080px
What does /ic/ think of Jan Urschel? I just discovered him, I really like his work. You can see the FZD influence but I think his stuff is pretty nice.

Not shilling btw just wanted to discuss some good designers, post others that are similar if you want
>>
>>2956187
Some of his stuff looks very photobashed which really kills it for me completely. Otherwise his stuff looks fairly generic to be perfectly honest. Not to say he might not have a good deal of skill in his field.
>>
>>2956200
I always thought photobashing was pretty common industry-wide to get a basic mood on the canvas, although fair enough if it's still present in finished images to be posted on a portfolio.

How does one get into this kind of work? I know FZD is a common route but it seems a lot of money for stuff which you can essentially learn online. If I already have experience in CG and photoshop work, mainly for architecture, how easy would it be to transition into film/video game design?
>>
>>2956187
He's very very skilled. I don't think it's actually a FZD influence really either since Jan has been around a lot longer than Feng and I think is working at a much higher level too.
>>
>>2956213
I read an interview somewhere, he started concept design at 28 and went to FZD, then got started in the industry with the contacts and stuff from that. He probably already had experience painting before going there though.
>>
>>2956217
Ah interesting, I must be slightly mistaken then. I seemed to recall him being around for a while and always being pretty darn good. Didn't know he went to FZD.
>>
>>2956210
Its a merit based field, employers largely don't care where you went to school or whatever. If you want work in those fields you simply have to have a portfolio of that caliber and you'll get work, although its vastly easier said then done.
>>
>>2956228
>employers largely don't care where you went to school or whatever
This is for the most part true, but companies do scout top schools for talent and schools usually have some connections to companies making it a lot easier to break into the industry if you did go to school vs if you are self taught. If you require any sort of visa too then having a degree helps a ton.
>>
>>2956225
Found the interview.

Yeah I like his work, I guess he's probably very selective with what is shown on his site so there's probably loads of filler stuff he's done that is not as interesting/advanced. It's always interesting to see earlier work from established artists, I wish they'd keep older stuff online still.

>>2956228
So if I have a portfolio of work but it's not necesarily of the right subject matter will they be likely to overlook that? I've got years of experience working with photoshop and rendering software, as well as architectural modelling software, and I have a lot of renders and archviz stuff which I'm fairly happy with, a lot of which is imaginative projects (ie, concept renders and that kind of thing, not just standard visualization of buildings) but it's all photomontaged work, using textures and gradients and photomanipulation, with not much hand-painting. I have much less experience with painting based workflows and wouldn't be able to produce work like that without a lot of retraining. So could you get work with that kind of experience?
>>
>>2956187
There's no denying his skill. I think you chose a bad pic to represent him though but that might just be my bias towards the GitS movie which I believe is absolute trash in all levels but most of all in its art direction.
>>
>>2956235
>found the interview
and forgot to paste the link
http://bigbadworldofconceptart.com/interviews/interview-with-concept-artist-jan-urschel/
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.