[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do I have what it takes to become the next Ruan Jia? I've

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8

File: polar_bear_sketch.jpg (84KB, 1032x774px) Image search: [Google]
polar_bear_sketch.jpg
84KB, 1032x774px
Do I have what it takes to become the next Ruan Jia?
I've been drawing/painting 10 to 12 hours daily for the last 2 years or so
>>
It's not bad, but if you want to be the next Ruan Jia you need to start making some meme tier color statements. Photostudies won't cut it.
>>
File: owl_sketch.jpg (129KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
owl_sketch.jpg
129KB, 1000x800px
another one
>>
File: harris_hawk.jpg (116KB, 1032x774px) Image search: [Google]
harris_hawk.jpg
116KB, 1032x774px
>>2955008
>you need to start making some meme tier color statements
what do you mean by that?
>>
>>2955007
How can you draw 10 to 12 hours a day? Are you an art neet?
>>
File: golden_light.jpg (343KB, 1032x774px) Image search: [Google]
golden_light.jpg
343KB, 1032x774px
>>2955016
yeah kinda, I receive disability benefits from the military
>>
Your paintings are beautifully rendered, but they offer little more than the photos you derived them from in terms of content.
>>
File: 1441154544350.png (220KB, 349x346px) Image search: [Google]
1441154544350.png
220KB, 349x346px
>>2955028
>I receive disability benefits from the military

Did you get shot or something?
>>
File: ruan-jia-guild-wars-2-4.jpg (214KB, 1920x1031px) Image search: [Google]
ruan-jia-guild-wars-2-4.jpg
214KB, 1920x1031px
>>2955012

When you look at most RJ paintings he has pretty unorthodox palettes and strong lighting.

Your stuff is nice from a realism angle and you're making excellent pace at the 2 year mark, but it doesn't evoke RJ's aesthetic at all, it's much more tame. I also assume these are all painted from reference.
>>
Yeah. Your work isnt bad but it's a dime a dozen.

I think you could make a living selling oil/acrylic paintings like these to country/ordinary folk. Even make a name for yourself within that niche.
>>
Your work is nice but you won't get anywhere on photo studies alone. It isn't bad, but your work lacks creativity, apply what you've learned through study to a piece that tells a story.
>>
File: white_polar_bear.jpg (259KB, 727x483px) Image search: [Google]
white_polar_bear.jpg
259KB, 727x483px
Introduce more contrast into your work. All your pieces succeed in likeness, so you need to start pushing color and light. Golden Light is your most interesting piece because it has non-uniform lighting.

Your other pieces seemed like missed opportunities for interesting lighting/colors.
Ex: Polar bear fur is hollow and transparent so you can really play up its luminosity and reflection of the colors in the environment (pic related). (Also remember when you are looking straight on at the side of the polar bear's neck you are looking down in between the hairs and it'll be darker there).

Other than that, these are impressive results for only 2 years!
>>
Be the best you can be. Don't try to follow in another persons footsteps in art, it won't happen. This is really good stuff dude
>>
Thanks for all the comments
I will try to paint something other than photo studies next and take all your advice into consideration

>>2955101
kek no, I have tinnitus
>>
>>2955398

What I like about your work and sets it aparts from most digital photo studies is that you have a clear direction in your brush strokes and you handle patterns with a lot of sensitivity, the hawk's feathers and the grass around the lione is a good example of this. Given your relatively short time practicing you have excellent brush economy and understanding of form. You just need to apply it to more creative works if you want to do more Ruan Jia-like stuff. Remember that drawing from imagination is it's own skill set that you have develop parallell with observational skils.
Good luck and keep posting
>>
>>2955007
Please don't fade out your images at the edges like that. It screams "amatuer".

I would recommend your next step is to start going to zoos, safaris or game preserves, and drawing from life. Create your own poses - and DRAW THE ENTIRE ANIMAL.

You might want to consider backgrounds, too.

Your work is good, but not professional level, yet. You've proven you can copy a photograph, now you need to take it to the next level. Go study polar bears at a zoo, for a month, sketch them, take photos, and create a unique piece of your own.
>>
>>2956337
>It screams "amatuer".

How, exactly?
>>
>>2955105
this looks neat but it's actually kind of dumb. i dont like any of the aesthetics and it looks like he did the whole thing by making precise marker strokes from bad markers that dry out after 2 strokes over an impossibly long period of time.
>>
>>2956355
don't listen to the anon above, he's an idiot. What you really need to do is learn about brush economy and learn how to see your values clearly so you can add more depth to your paintings. They look great but they lack that expertise that would show if you had better textures and value control. Also try finding new ways to create more accurate textures in your paintings.
>>
>>2956355
It's cheating, and it's a cheap effect that amatuers abuse.

Like my art teacher said, every inch of a painting should be intentional, blurring things out is a photographic effect and should never be in a painting.
>>
>>2956362
I think it's an effective way to frame your subject desu
>>
http://normanrawnart.deviantart.com

is this you, op?
>>
>>2956365
No, it's not.

BTW - 25 years as a professional illustrator, designer and art director here. I'd never buy art with it, or hire someone who does it.

Honestly, it's just lazy, in my opinion.
>>
>>2956377

It's called vignetting and is a very common thing to do when making studies. I guess Sargent and Leyendecker were hacks too, going by your logic?
>>
>>2955007
>>2955009
>>2955012
>>2955028
these are all really great, OP!
>>
>>2955007
Why do you want to be Ruan Jia? He's a meme.

You're a good artist, Anon, be your own person.
>>
you have 0 creativity and your works look no different than photoshop effects.
>>
>>2955398

So you're saying if I join the military and just stand close to some squadmates firing their guns for a bit I can get neetbux for life? Sign me the fuck up. .
>>
>>2955007
Do you do many portraits?
I.e people and such?
>>
>>2955028
best one so far
>>
These kinda remind me of Aaron Blaise's work.
>>
File: 0.png (3MB, 1335x916px) Image search: [Google]
0.png
3MB, 1335x916px
>>2962004
Just about to say this. Looks like you want to be the next Aaron Blaise a lot more than Ruan Jia for some reason.
>>
>>2955007
>>2955012
>>2955009
not bad, but its boring as fuck considering its digital. you gotta show creativity, not just skill. because everyone can replicate that digitally no matter how bad they are
>>
>>2962606
>not bad
>everyone can replicate that digitally no matter how bad they are

Pick one.
>>
>>2956357

RJ isn't my favorite artist either but that's how OP framed his goal.

Unless all he meant was "being really popular on /ic/"
>>
>>2962606
>because everyone can replicate that digitally no matter how bad they are

I hate this meme of 'any retard can do realism'.

It's one of those technically true statements that are stupidly misleading and can be applied to virtually any pursuit - any retard can draw, any retard can stylize, any retard can paint with guache, etc.

It's missing the hidden premise of "given a fuckton of time". If you seriously think any idiot is capable of realism out the gate spend an evening in the beginner thread. It would take those sorts of people fucking ages or they'd have to cheat. And if they'd have to cheat, then any idiot can copy a stylized drawing just as easily (in fact probably more easily) than a photograph.
>>
>>2958968
Idk it's apparently pretty shit. Sparth has tinnitus and says it's miserable.
>>
>>2955028
Whoa that ear is huuge.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.