[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which is better: learning perspective THEN Figure Drawing or

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: HO-GH-2_grande.jpg (25KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
HO-GH-2_grande.jpg
25KB, 600x600px
thanks
>>
Why not both?
>>
what is this question even?

perspective is like something entirely basic and fundamental to art and figure drawing only applies to well.. figures?

perspective is definitely first, you need it to do anything. if you do not know how a cube in perspective is constructed you can't do anything right, basically
>>
>>2951150
Perspective is, in my opinion, single handedly the most important fundamental, It's the ability to put things in a 3D space, If your perspective is bad your form will be almos nonexistant, let alone your figures.
>>
>>2951164
>>2951169
Perspective does underlie everything, but you can get good at figure drawing especially from reference with next to no perspective. I would actually recommend starting with figure drawing before diving into perspective. Perspective can be really dry and hard to apply at first, so will just discourage beginners.
>>
>>2951191
That's retarded, if you don't learn figure with perspective you're just learning glorified symbol drawing.
>But purspectibe iz hard
It's not if you understand the concept and apply it to all your art.
>>
>>2951197
You can learn form without perspective. And figure drawing is often used as a way of teaching general observation as well, which doesn't require perspective.

You can also learn the very basics of perspective in like an hour, then focus on figure drawing. You don't need anything complex really at the start.
>>
>>2951150
Do figures in perspective you silly dink
>>
>>2951150
Perspective is always step one, anyone who says otherwise is a fucking moron. Figure drawing and construction rely on you being able to draw boxes. If you can draw a box in perspective, you can draw anything be it organic, mechanical, etc... Plus, perspective also opens the door to environment drawings.

Perspective is always first.
>>
whats a good tutorial for perspective
>>
>>2951150
I would actually do basic photocopying or sight size drawing first just to train your eyes.
If you've done this already perspective is a must. You could probably even do that while doing the observation stuff to mix things up a little.
>>
>>2951150
Perspective. It's boring to learn, but it's everywhere to some extend. Learning perspective cleared up many questions I had about form and how shit generally behaves in different positions, which made lots of other things easier to understand in the long run.
>>
Perspective, or you are only cheating yourself. But most knobs can't be assed to bother.
>>
Learn the grid. I started by drawing cars in perspective, because they're boxy and they follow the lines.

Branch out from there, and start putting in complex lines that don't follow the grid lines.

Keep everything in perspective and you're fine.

Break your comfort zone all the time. Push limits.

You learn fast doing this.
>>
>>2951391

Set time limts, and extend them as your skill improves. Start over with new knowledge rather than polishing turds.
>>
>>2951391
>>2951394

Don't skimp on backgrounds. You learn just as much from them as you learn from the figures.

The devil is in the small details
>>
>>2951391
>>2951394
>>2951395

The curcle and ellipse are most important in figure drawing.

Visualizing the major and minor axes before you move the pencil is the only hurdle. After that, it's all grinding. Structured grinding.
>>
>>2951304
read (yes, read) and practices with perspective made easy, perspective drawing handbook by Joseph D'Amelio and How to Draw: Drawing and Sketching Objects and Environments from Your Imagination by Scott Robertson
or get marshall vandruff's perspective lectures If your too fucking lazy to get through a book or two (or three)
>>
>>2951404
fuck, I didnt know the curcle was so important
>>
>>2951150
Depends on what you want to learn most anon.

You can figure draw fairly well without much knowledge on perspective, maybe basic and minimal. Perspective can be pretty simplified anyway.

So I'd recommend learning a little bit of perspective while figure drawing, especially as you get to the construction part of figure drawing. It will help, but you only need a very basic understanding.
>>
>>2951164
>and figure drawing only applies to well.. figures?
That's a fairly silly way of putting it. A great deal of art contains... figures. Trvializing it makes no sense

And the assumption that figure drawing isn't holistic to other parts of art is flat out wrong. Gesture is important in all art, not just figure drawing. The same can be said of balance, proportion, construction, landmarks and so on. It's not about the figures themselves, it's about the lessons they teach. Not to mention the critically important task of building a strong visual library towards the human figure.

Of course perspective is important but heh, so is figure drawing. This kind of self satisfied "ERMAGERD HOW COULD YOU EVEN ASK THAT QUESTION" attitude is really uncalled for. It's a fair question, especially when so much advice is split between one and the other, and call for both more often than not.
>>
>>2951169
Gonna second this.
My art stopped looking flat as soon as I started learning perspective. You have to know how to draw simple 3d forms before you can draw humans.
>>
>>2951267
>You can learn form without perspective.
no you can't retard
>And figure drawing is often used as a way of teaching general observation as well, which doesn't require perspective.
also retarded and wrong, drawing from life teaches you innate perspective, because perspective is there in literally everything you're going to draw
>>
>>2951150
Perspective first : it's wayyy more fundamental because it applies to any object you try to represent with depth!...
>>
>>2951304
You can't go wrong with Robertson. It's tedious, but it teaches you all necessary techniques and don't beat around the bush.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.