[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /oil/, what do you think of this guy's instruction?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

File: drawmixpaint.png (800KB, 1395x784px) Image search: [Google]
drawmixpaint.png
800KB, 1395x784px
Hey /oil/, what do you think of this guy's instruction?
I like his teaching style. Straight forward and no bullshit. I'm more of a digital painter though so I don't know enough of the specifics around oil as a medium to be able to judge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gml1xl72qE&t=667s
>>
>>2950816
Seems pretty egotistical and can't into expressive painting. Does a demo of a still life from a photo too which is retarded. And he couldn't even draw it properly.
>>
>>2950884
Bar the colors, nothing else seems right. I don't really feel like watching his video.
>>
He taught me to mix color, that's all I got from him
>>
>>2950884

"egoistical"

What?
>>
>>2950911
offers opinions as facts instead of as opinions, mentions his influences and talks like he has special insight into the way they painted cause he's special and why wouldn't he have that?
>>
>>2950816
anyone know any good teachers or videos for someone who knows absolutely nothing about oil painting??
Just learning how to work the medium and ratios of paint to solvents or whatever. how to clean brushes and set up an oil painting, etc.

Especially any ways or alternative solvents(?) to oil paint in a small low ventilation studio without windows.

thats been the main thing keeping me from oil painting, acrylic isnt nearly as fun though.
>>
>>2950922

Can you be more specific? What would be one of his opinions that he presents as fact?
>>
>>2950816
meme painter, gives a good first impression but that's about it
>>
>>2950884
>Does a demo of a still life from a photo too which is retarded.
to be fair, his video with a cup in a thumbnail is from life
>>
>2017
>Draw Mix Paint is shit right now
Huston is pseudo-intellectual memetrash too
>>
>>2950967

"meme painter"

Wtf? You guys haven't been able to deliver a single valid point why his material isn't good.
>>
>>2950816
I like his color mixing tutorials. Might seem too rigid, but seems like a good idea to start out that way. I was impressed by his drawing demo of a horse. He is pretty fast and doesn't overwork his paintings, which is cool.
>>
>>2950925
Gamsol is an odorless turpentine alternative that's pretty standard. It's good shit
>>
I honestly prefer just watching demos of reputable painters.
Sean Cheetham has a lot of good demos uploaded on youtube.
>>
>>2950925

Winsor Newton has water-mixable oil paint which you can buy a specific type of thinner for and I've never had any issues with ventilation, aside from linseed smell. It's their Artisan brand I think.

>>2951063

I used Gamsol once and got a pretty bad headache. Might've been coincidence, but it still probably shouldn't be used without decent ventilation.
>>
>>2950925
You don't have to use solvents, except maybe for specific effects. Buy more brushes and you won't have to change colors on a single brush i the session. I paint with almost no solvent, and used to completely without solvent except for toning the canvas, for which you should do outside especially when working large. If you really want, you can use spike oil, but it's expensive, and you could still be one of the few who are sensitive to the smell even though it's non-toxic.
>>
>>2951063
>>2951170
Odorless spirit fumes are still toxic, but most can tolerate it much better than gum turpentine.

I see so many people paint with solvent jar open throughout the session. I don't get it.
>>
>>2950925
Steve Huston's NMA videos are pretty good for a beginner, you can paint along and get some decent results.

As for alternative solvents, you really don't need any if you want to paint alla prima and your paints aren't too stiff. Cleaning brushes is a bitch but you can just wipe them and dip them in safflower/poppy oil, and they'll stay good like that for a week+. If you really want solvents you can use oil of spike lavender (still need appropriate ventilation unless you want your room to smell like cheap perfume all day). Schmincke has a medium that makes regular oil paints watersoluble, but I have no personal experience with that. Supposed to be pretty good for cleaning brushes, too.
>>
>>2950988
His interview with proko was mostly trash
He admits he spent most of his life faking it, now he's just more competent
>>
>>2951257
If you're careful, you can paint in the traditional layered method without using solvent.
>>
>>2951013
Look at the pear. Look at his painting.
>>
This video changed my painting style completely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0Qbw7Wlsgc
>>
>>2950925
The guy in the op, Mark Carder actually sells a brush dip that dramatically reduces the need for solvents.

It's a mixture of clove and stand oil I think. I use it because I'm legit allergic to solvents.
>>
>>2951013
Alla prima is already a meme. Patchy laying in of opaque paint mixed to be the same value and color is even more of a meme. It separates the art of drawing from that of painting.
>>
>>2950911
Didn't watch the OP but I recognize the guy from the thumbnail, he def inflects like a dick whenever possible. You might not pick it up if you have autism.
>>
>>2951464
I thought he sounded nice. Am I on the spectrum now?
>>
>>2951374

Please don't ever comment on painting again.
>>
>>2950816
wow no-one complimented your funny tabs, surprised.

anyway, i have a feeling that his course is just that shitty careful mixing careful sighting thing that all online oil painting course teach for some reason. this video is an okay guide to daubing on paint though i guess.
>>
>>2950816
>Head & Shoulders: $30,000
>Three-Quarters Length: $60,000
>Full Length: $75,000

kek
>>
>>2951374
kys
>>
>>2951667
>>2951513
It's true. Look at most of the old master production processes where the drawings are much more involved, with many studies as means for a finished painting, and the drawing reinforced in color throughout the layers. The furthest opposite of that is a method like Carder teaches. It's the method of sparklets.

>inb4 mentioning some outlier as a proof against this method
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.