[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do artists look down on beginners that get good tools and

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: animugrills.gif (2MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
animugrills.gif
2MB, 800x450px
Why do artists look down on beginners that get good tools and supplies?

I never understood why it's a good idea to purposely hinder yourself if you can afford the right things for the job.
>>
>>2948146
I don't think people have a problem with beginners investing and researching and being interested, but often beginners tend to focus on that instead of, you know, using the materials or actually learning how to use them. Knowing exactly what brand of pencil Wes Burt is using, or what pen James Jean is using, will not make you draw at their level.

Also if you are a total beginner chances are you won't even be able to tell the difference between decent materials and top of the line materials. In the early stages mileage is more important than anything and it's almost a waste to use high end material when you will be pushing out crap for a few years.
>>
Adding to what the anon above said, most beginners quit after a few short months. Spending hundreds of dollars on a tablet for example just ends up being a huge waste.
>>
>>2948146
The foreshortened forms you see on that gif are not absolute, form is relative to perspective and the same fundamental rules applies regardless from any deviation away from life (in this case stylization) unless you are purposely trying to portray an incorrect application towards perspective you do not understand basic rules of perception.

Kill yourself.
>>
>>2948154
Although this makes it sweet for the rest of us who do use these things. You can get cheap "used" tablets that have been used only once by some beginner who quit.
>>
>>2948155
it's a meme anon
>>
>>2948146

You learn better from using limited tools. Your objective with them is to keep it as accurate as possible through a linear way. IE: utilize a black to white value with a pen, use a 3 color pallete to convey light and shadow.
>>
>>2948154
>>2948152
This. Why pour hundreds of dollars into art supplies if all you're going to make with them is bad to mediocre stuff? For their own financial sake, beginners just get materials that will get the job done, as fancy expensive art supplies won't improve their work at all at such an early point. It's like giving a beginner chef highest quality ingredients even though they can hardly cook, no matter what ingredients you give them the end product won't be great.
>>
File: 1436073066466.jpg (67KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1436073066466.jpg
67KB, 633x758px
Because we have been there. Buying and researching tools is a form of procrastination.

We have a bunch of expensive moleskines and rare pens hidden in a drawer collecting dust.
>>
If you can't make something good with a pencil & a white sheet of paper, you're not as good as you might think...

DO NOT FORGET THE OLD WAYS
>>
>>2948335
>not using berry juice on rocks
>NGMI
>>
>>2948337
>not simply imagining art instead of making it
>never gonna make it
>>
I don't understand it either. Most instructors will tell you to buy good materials if you can afford it, art is hard enough as it is without struggling with your tools. There's a point where you're just wasting money, but /ic/'s idea that if you're not good you should only be using printer paper and a bic is absolutely retarded.

>>2948321
>expensive moleskines
Stop perpetuating the meme that Moleskine is anything but shit.
>>
You have to burn time and supplies to get the point where you are capable of producing anything worthwhile enough to have been worth using high quality tools on.

Low quality supplies, generally, are as good for learning as high quality ones
>>
It doesn't really bother me one way or another. It's not my money. It was never going to be my money. You buying an expensive tablet doesn't make it so that I'm never going to be able to buy the expensive tablet.

I think the amount of people who actually believe that expensive materials will make them a great artist are few and far between. Not everyone is pants on head retarded. A lot of the hate just boils down to jealousy. It's as simple as "Why do THEY get that? I deserve it so much more!"
>>
>>2948677
Of all the things a beginner could splash money on a tablet makes the most sense though.

It's not consumable so it'll last for years, and can be resold if they give up. I had a small wacom tablet for a few years and wish I had started with a better tablet from the start.
>>
>>2948321
>falling for moleskine meme
You have a good point though.
>>
As a new artist there is literally no reason to make things harder on yourself if you don't have to. All it does is demotivate you in areas you don't need to be demotivated in. A decent tablet will set you back $200-300, Clip Studio Paint is another $50 (less via sales) and you can get either Frenden ($15) or DAUB ($9.99) brush sets with updates for life to take advantage of the amazing brush engine without having to struggle with creating your own brushes.

Don't go into the poor house to get your art tools but if you can easily afford it why not? I think some artists are just butthurt they had to scrape by on ramen and work their ass off to afford the same tools. So if someone spends $400 getting set up then quits a few months later they are personally offended which makes no sense. The money was going to go somewhere, what does it matter if they bought video games or art tools? It's not like them saving that money suddenly teleports it to your pockets to make your life easier so stop being a petty cunt about it.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.