[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why isn't getting a reference from pixel art a more pop

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 7

File: Pixel Art reference 1.png (2MB, 2559x1442px) Image search: [Google]
Pixel Art reference 1.png
2MB, 2559x1442px
Why isn't getting a reference from pixel art a more popular advice for beginners? It helps to instill a sense of aesthetics while at the same time demanding less from knowledge of proportion, leading to very satisfying work?
Btw, this music video is full of interesting references.
https://youtu.be/oTN6cGmH2yM
>>
File: Pixel Art reference 2.png (1002KB, 1624x800px) Image search: [Google]
Pixel Art reference 2.png
1002KB, 1624x800px
>>
File: Pixel Art reference 3.png (1MB, 1279x720px) Image search: [Google]
Pixel Art reference 3.png
1MB, 1279x720px
>>
File: Pixel Art reference 4.png (937KB, 1365x720px) Image search: [Google]
Pixel Art reference 4.png
937KB, 1365x720px
>>
File: Pixel Art reference 5.png (1MB, 1365x720px) Image search: [Google]
Pixel Art reference 5.png
1MB, 1365x720px
>>
Is anyone interested in these or should I stop?
>>
>>2946408
Because everything stems from life. Pixel art (especially at the level you posted) would be too stylized for beginners to internalize - or if they do, internalize it correctly.
>>
Pixel art is an interesting exercise in symbolism when you're working with smaller sprites. However, the resolution of these images you are posting makes them just low-res aliased art essentially, at which point you probably should learn to draw from life. Additionally, line weight is harder to get across with pixel art, as you have to apply manual anti-aliasing or other trickery to lines to make them appear thinner, and at low enough res you just skip that part altogether to focus on readability.

However, if you want to make your colors eye catching and "pop out", making smaller sprites can help with that. After all, well picked colors are crucial to making or breaking pixel art.
>>
>>2946902
Well put. Like you say, it's very different from "real" art at lower resolutions, but at a high enough resolution it's essentially just regular art that requires special understanding of line weight, anti-aliasing and color, as well as how humans perceive patterns.
>>
>>2946408
>Why isn't getting a reference from pixel art a more popular advice for beginners? It helps to instill a sense of aesthetics while at the same time demanding less from knowledge of proportion, leading to very satisfying work?
Because its shit advice, bambalam flim flam
>>
>>2946408
I love the pixel art in those videos
>>
File: Pixel Art reference 6.png (743KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Pixel Art reference 6.png
743KB, 1280x720px
>>2947424
Here ya go bb
>>
File: Pixel Art reference 7.png (2MB, 1736x720px) Image search: [Google]
Pixel Art reference 7.png
2MB, 1736x720px
>>
This video is also pixel art, by the same band as OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGqeyQhBPMI
>>
>>2947512
They are closer to what I'd call oekaki, or just art done with a binary pen.

To elaborate, frankly to me all of that video (and OP's images) just looks like very unpolished aliased art. Is it pixel art? Sure, they're art that are made out of (clearly visible) pixels, but they lack in the more deliberate qualities of the medium. For instance, they're full of jaggies, use huge amounts of colors (backgrounds in particular look almost gradient-y) and use little to no smoothing with anti-aliasing, among other things. So in the end, the style ends up looking like an artistic shorthand for making less polished art to drive an aesthetic. That's fine, but something like Trucker's Delight or Starr Mazer (back when it was just a video and not a kickstarter game, anyway) stand out to me far better.

But then again, these days some people like to claim that just color reducing a photo will make it pixel art.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.