[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which is more productive? studying hard on one topic, like

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: arms.jpg (375KB, 3500x2000px) Image search: [Google]
arms.jpg
375KB, 3500x2000px
Which is more productive?

studying hard on one topic, like anatomy, until you master it.

Or doing a wide range of skills all the time, some anatomy, some value studies, some still lifes etc.
>>
>>2944846
I think it varies from person to person. Either way it will take a long time to get good.
>>
All you need to do is UNDERSTAND anatomy, not master it. Unless you're drawing for anatomy textbooks being able to build a completely accurate model from the ground up isn't neccessary, just knowing what is where if your art demands it.

If you plan on drawing complex poses, or making an action/sex comic knowing anatomy is a huge "YES". A lot of artists only know "stock poses" and you can see it when the person is in a strange position (climbing out of a ladder chute, swinging their arm behind them, looking down upon the camera at their feet, etc.)

However, arms, feet, legs and necks are the main thing you should focus on.
>>
>>2944846
whichever method you see more gains through.
>>
>>2944857
I guess that's true, only study what you need to.
>>
File: gitgud.jpg (32KB, 788x418px) Image search: [Google]
gitgud.jpg
32KB, 788x418px
the best way?
draw what you want to draw, push it as far as you possibly can.
then analyze and find the mistakes you made.
then you go study that thing you noticed was off.
and after that you go back to the piece/drawing and improve on it with the new knowledge you gained.
studying with intent, look it up.
>>
If you can afford to devote enough time to it, studying a wide range of things is good. But if you have a day job and have limited time to devote to things, you are better off trying to knock down subjects one at a time rather than spreading yourself too thin.
>>
study deeply into one subject and shallowly into a variety of subjects, be T shaped
>>
If you focus on one thing you'll get good at one thing. If you focus on everything you'll get average at everything. As far as I'm concerned if you kick ass at one thing but suck at other things, the other things will still make your work amateurish no matter how good your focus is.

In my opinion it's better to get average at everything and then start applying specific focus, but the jury is out on what's the 'optimal' way. If the rest of the drawing is average and you've got a 'specialty' (IE good anatomy) that really pushes it to the next level, your expertise will make a mediocre drawing good. If you have a good thing and the rest looks like shit, it'll still look like shit and it'll just seem like you got lucky.
>>
>>2944846
In my humble opinion, studying a single topic that encapsulates the others is better. e.g drawing basic shapes and the principles of perspective.

If you can draw 3d shapes of your choice while maintaining proportion and accuracy, You'll be able to draw anything. Anatomy ill just be a design guide.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.