[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What makes a good character design /ic/? Do you have a compilation

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1491972088101.jpg (698KB, 2922x4096px) Image search: [Google]
1491972088101.jpg
698KB, 2922x4096px
What makes a good character design /ic/? Do you have a compilation of good character designs from various medias or a basic tutorial of character design with you?
>>
Application of design principles and thorough research
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euTe191sAWg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXw9XbXhDR4
>>
>>2942185
I would like to add that you should research any elements you'll add to your characters and how it will affect it.
Ex: The history of the cowboy hat: how and why was it utilized. You can't just ignore its meaning and add it to a character just because it would look nice.
If you're adding an element for the sake of "cool" then you shouldn't add it.
>>
30% originality. only one visual focal point. Related characters follow themes easily. One colour dominant, no more than three main colours, standard fashion advice. originality=/=good
>>
>>2942195
How can you possibly make a character design with only 1 visual focal point? Like, in a simple character piece, the face is automatically immediately a focal point, so are the hands and any prop / weapon that character might be holding. Anything else interesting about their costume or body becomes a secondary focal point.
>>
>>2942185
>>2942192
Not him, seems helpful enough.
That reminds me, I need to build up my Reference folder.
I probably need a seperate HDD as well.
>>
The secret jizz to creating character.

It starts with understanding the archetype of the story telling.

Every character have a story to tell. The keychain, the scar, the boots and the stain on the leather. Everything is about the process of the character's development.

The secret jizz, complete the character's story before you draw it out.

Anyone disagree?
>>
>>2942206
I think he was being sarcastic
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.