[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone else not save any of thier work? I'm not proud

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: 4by4head.png (143KB, 299x382px) Image search: [Google]
4by4head.png
143KB, 299x382px
Does anyone else not save any of thier work? I'm not proud of anything I make so digital files I don't save unless I plan to work on it later and traditional drawings go into the trash when the sketchbook is full.
>>
>>2940959
You don't have to be proud of something to keep it
>>
I regret not saving everything I've ever made
>>
>>2940959
That's really the kind of thing you don't leave up to your emotions.

Solo dolos got to live by rules. And one important rule is to save everything you make.
>>
>>2940959
That's a really bad mentality to have because you basically trick yourself into never giving it your best effort when you know you're gonna trash it anyway. You don't have to be proud of what you make, but at least give it your best shot and then analyze why you still don't like it and try to do better next time.
>>
I save everything no matter how bad so I can laugh at it later
>>
>>2941105
That's half of it.

Saving work because you hate it is reverse. You save work because you hate your work. It is a long term investment for your current problems. Because nothing gives you a true sense of self progress and achievement like looking at your old work. Sure, you feel like you're not getting anywhere today and you're worried about all the ways your subconscious can be tricking you to remain in your plateau, but HOLY fuck look at that god awful hand you made a year ago. It's all about giving yourself room to breathe, and doing a solid for your future you.
>>
I always save my work to keep track of my progress. It helps me get a perspective on the things I've learned, how I'm spending my time drawing or how I should be spending my time.

Like if I spend more than 5 minutes on something, I typically save it.
>>
>>2941108
I totally agree. It's one of the best things you can do for yourself.
>>
>>2940959
damn dude. if you're serious i seriously suggest you start preserving your work. I hate my old drawings but I don't know what I'd do if I lost them. My drawings are like pages in a diary; they remind me who I am and what my outlook on the world was when I made them. that's just me though.
>>
File: horsesmall.png (347KB, 604x548px) Image search: [Google]
horsesmall.png
347KB, 604x548px
>>2940959
i used to not, then i started to force myself to save even mspaint doodles. i feel like that sort of behavior is linked to all kinds of other defeatist attitudes which make doing art harder.
>>
File: 0000000000199.jpg (232KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
0000000000199.jpg
232KB, 1000x1000px
>>2940959

Saving all your work is BAD idea. Here is why:

It's comparable to losing weight. It's mentally draining to track your weight every fucking day because there are gonna lots of fluctuations throughout the week. Instead, it's better to track your weight every week as opposed to every day. Same with art. You don't wanna keep ALL of your work because quite frankly a lot of them are gonna be bad and just not a true representation of your skill at the time. You could be simply having on and off days.

That's why it's better to save your work periodically as in weekly increments or monthly increments. I personally post my work on 3 different art forums and I don't post more than a week. I take the best work I make every week and post that as a "checkpoint"

Other than that, saving your work does have it's pros and cons. I mean for some people when they look back at work a year back(usually beginners) they'll probably see drastic improvement. But for more veteran artists who've been in the game longer, progress is very slow and it can be very demotivating when you look at your work from say 6 months ago and you see no progress sometimes even regression.

I'll post an example, I made these sketches about a year ago
>>
File: 0000000000414.jpg (143KB, 1000x707px) Image search: [Google]
0000000000414.jpg
143KB, 1000x707px
>>2941661
and I've made these sketches recently. There is basically no improvement even though i've been drawing 6 hours a day.
>>
>>2941663
Characters are cuter.
>>
>>2941661
>>2941663

How long you been drawing anon?
>>
File: 0000000000198.gif (240KB, 560x315px) Image search: [Google]
0000000000198.gif
240KB, 560x315px
>>2941732
It's only because I was aiming for more realistic figures. I did this animation a year ago so my "cuteness" hasn't really improved

>>2941734
3 years
>>
>>2941742
>3 years

cool beans, any tips for cleaner line work? I've heard some anons say drawing bigger helps.
>>
>>2941742
>that art
>that filename
I've seen at least two threads of a poster pretending to be this artist. Do you have some kind of vendetta?
>>
>>2941744
Do hand control exercises. Practice drawing basic stuff like lines, circles, ellipse, boxes etc
Also you gotta be confident. Don't erase and try to get everything down with the first line. Practicing in pen helps
>>2941745
This is me. The people who were pretending to be me were reported and banned according to the mods.
>>
>>2941663
There's certain stiffness in the sketches. I recommend doing more real life sketches where you concentrate on the line of action and making the shapes more fluid. You got the construction and anatomy down, but work on breaking them and showing them in motion. That should help them feel more natural.

Also, I always keep everything. Fill a sketchbook, view it and throw it in a bag under my bed. It's a good way of keeping tabs about which mistakes I tend to make or which poses and angles are too prevalent in my stuff.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.