[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

are there any big differences between accd's illustration

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 1467612654933.jpg (2MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1467612654933.jpg
2MB, 1920x1200px
are there any big differences between accd's illustration entertainment track and the school's concept design track? i am personally interested in applying to illustration.

all i'm aware of:
-concept design seems to have a higher entrance requirement/accept a lot fewer students (part of it could also be looking for "design sense" which could explain technically skilled portfolios not making the cut for lack of variation)
-concept design seems to be a lot more demanding with more graduation requirements/research-based courses, although there's nothing stopping you from doing the same courses regardless of major
-it seems historically the illustration major has produced graduates who have worked in entertainment (i'm thinking peter han, darren quach, the skillful huntsman guys, mullins), just less in the feng-zhu-design-mechs-and-alien-worlds kind of way (and even then i believe most of the older concept guys from accd did product design, as the concept design track is relatively new i think)
>>
>>2940351
Current Illustration major at ACCD chiming in.

The Illustration major at ACCD didn't used to have as many tracks as it did now. During the time of Han and the other people you listed, the Entertainment Arts track wasn't as well-defined as it is now and other tracks such as Fine Art and Motion Design didn't even exist. If you go for the Entertainment Arts track in Illustration now, the focus is definitely more on that animation visual development look (Disney, Dreamworks, Pixar, etc.). Some of the most prominent teachers teaching within that track (Will Weston, Dominick Domingo and Mike Humphries) are Disney veterans. If you're going for the Illustration Entertainment Arts track, you'll be going for a more less specialized major which means you'll have to take classes on traditional painting and maybe one or two experimental/"""ideation""" bullshit classes. Some of the faculty involved in the track are actively working on adding more classes and independent study courses due to complaints from students within the track. It's still kind of an evolving track so it will likely get better in the future.

The Entertainment Design major is a separate major from Illustration. Unlike Illustration majors, they get a BS rather than a BA. There seems to be a lot less focus on traditional painting from what I've heard from one of my illustration teachers. The degree audit for Entertainment Design students do reflect a way more specialized track than Illustration's Entertainment Arts track. There are classes that ED students need to take that overlap with Product Design since modelmaking/sculpting is an important part of the major. If you're dead set on the Feng Zhu concept art look, this is definitely the major you need to apply for.
>>
>>2940382
Are you korean anon?
>>
>>2940385
Kek no. There are shitton of them at school though.
>>
>>2940382
Are you specifically an EA/vis dev student or close with anyone in the program? Can you post an example from your portfolio application? How difficult was it to get in? Scholarships?

Sorry for questions. I'm really set on ACCD but I feel like my skills are too weak and that my chances to land a scholarship are too low. I feel a lot of anxiety about applying, especially since I'm not going straight out of highschool anymore.
>>
File: old.jpg (618KB, 1173x2318px) Image search: [Google]
old.jpg
618KB, 1173x2318px
>>2940393
I'm not specifically an EA student but I am close to several of the students and do take a lot of entertainment classes since they tend to focus on improving fundamental skills.

I wouldn't worry about not being a straight out of high school student. Even though that particular demographic is rising within the school, the average age for an applicant used to be something like 24. I have classmates who are in their 30s and even their 40s attending who are doing way better than the younger students. Really, the only reason why the average age of first-term students is getting lower is because the school has become more greedy and has lowered the standards for entry portfolios. The school has become set on expanding over the years and this has annoyingly caused a raise in tuition every term.

I did get a scholarship with my application portfolio. Not a whole ton but still a decent amount. Pic attached was the level of my work back when I first applied (not that good, I know). Unfortunately, I don't really have any other good examples of my application portfolio lying around since I found it a bit embarrassing to look after a while. The portfolio was straightfoward enough though. 10+ figure drawings, some more creative pieces, and some painting studies.
>>
>>2940405
Thank you so much for the post, anon! that's very reassuring that the incoming student body is actually not all gifted 15 year olds! Yeah, the one major complaint I've heard from recent ACCD alumni or current students is the increasing hike in tuitions.

And thank you again for posting a portfolio example. Congrats on the scholarship! I hope this doesn't sound mean but your example makes me feel a bit more confident about my portfolio (sorry, I have no idea how to phrase that less cocky sounding). Your current work must be great, though.

One last question, are they good at hooking students up with internships or jobs?
>>
>>2940419
Not a problem. I'm glad that you found the information helpful.

I haven't scouted out internships or jobs yet myself but I have quite a few classmates who have already done so. I know of quite a few who have interned and worked at places like Titmouse, Williams Street, and other local animation studios. The school seems to do a decent job of hooking people up to these places.

In any case, here's hoping you will be able to attend soon and get a great scholarship!
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.