[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>draw from your shoulder Do people unironically do this, or

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 10

>draw from your shoulder
Do people unironically do this, or is it just a meme? Why the hell would you unnecesarily complicate the drawing process
>>
>use reference

Do people unironically do this? It's basically cheating.
>>
>>2937044
When you draw from the wrist, it limits where you can draw without moving your arm. When you have to draw out of that range, your line will get wobbly from you having to adjust your hand's position to move your arm.

When you draw from the shoulder, your arm is already moving, so you don't need to waste time adjusting.
>>
>>2937047
>why would someone make drawing easier?
>>
>>2937059
how about when you draw on a small scale? i have seen some people say you should also draw small details from your shoulder.
And what about drawing from your elbow?
>>
>>2937044
Dump frogposter you so silly XD
>>
>>2937064
It doesn't matter IMO if the detail is small enough, but avoid thinking of shoulder drawing as "that difficult thing I HAVE to do fuck"

Elbow drawing works as well as shoulder drawing for most paper sizes, but I draw from the shoulder if I'm going to draw a line that goes from one edge of the paper to halfway or farther (or something about that length)
>>
>>2937044
>Do people unironically do this
Yes, it is more fun drawing this way.

>inb4 having fun drawing=ngmi
>>
>not drawing by keeping your body completely immobile and only gyrating on the ball of your foot slightly
get fucking good
>>
>>2937044
because it's better, that's like saying 'why don't people just shoot from the hip, why would you unnecesarily(sic) complicate the shooting process?'
>>
File: 1450750950267.jpg (25KB, 341x339px) Image search: [Google]
1450750950267.jpg
25KB, 341x339px
>>2937329
>>
>>2937332
I assume people get in to the habit of drawing from the wrist from writing in school and it feels more natural because of that.
>>
>>2937329
>not drawing by keeping completely still and asking a parent or guardian to move the table

it's 2017
>>
>>2937329
>>2937348
>>2937329
You're still thinking externally. Sink the Qi (vital energy) into the Dantian (a point/area below the navel). While drawing the whole body should be light and agile, with all parts of the body linked as if threaded together. The Qi should be excited, the Shen (mind-spirit) should be internally gathered.
The posture should be without defect, without hollows or projections from the proper alignment; in motion the lines should be continuous, without stops and starts. The Chin (intrinsic strength) should be rooted in the feet, generated from the legs, controlled by the waist, and manifested through the fingers. The feet, legs, and waist should act together as an integrated whole, so that while drawing or erasing one can grasp the opportunity of favorable rhythm and advantageous composition. If correct rhythm and composition are not achieved, the body will become disordered and will not move as an integrated whole; the correction for this defect must be sought in the legs and waist. The principle of adjusting the legs and waist applies for drawing in all directions; upward or downward, left or right.
All drawing movements are motivated by Yi (mind-intention), not external form. If there is up, there is down; when drawing details, have regard for the overall composition; when drawing left, pay attention to the right. If the Yi wants to draw upward, it must simultaneously have intent downward.
Insubstantial and substantial should be clearly differentiated. At any place where there is insubstantiality, there must be substantiality; Every place has both insubstantiality and substantiality. The whole body should be threaded together through every joint without the slightest break.
Drawing is like a great river rolling on unceasingly.
>>
File: 1442523758653.jpg (46KB, 640x626px) Image search: [Google]
1442523758653.jpg
46KB, 640x626px
>>2937359
>>
File: 1471665376246.jpg (23KB, 421x369px) Image search: [Google]
1471665376246.jpg
23KB, 421x369px
>>2937044

>not alternating drawing from the fingers, wrist, elbow, and shoulder as is needed
>>
File: IMG_0370.jpg (38KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0370.jpg
38KB, 500x375px
>>2937044
Can I draw from my torso?
>>
>>2937365
You mean from the waist?
>>
>>2937359

It's like I'm reading Fate/Stay Night all over again.
>>
>>2937044
Think of it as a tool rather than a rule.

Understand what drawing from the shoulder does, and how it affects your drawing. Maybe it helps with smoother lines and better control but lessens your finer motor controls (using your fingers/wrists).

Honestly, no one really draws only from their shoulder. I really only see it when people do the knife or overhand grip for larger drawings. You can watch videos of artists like KJG or Iain Mccaig and you can see they use a combination of many arm/wrist/finger movements.

There's really no rules, just tools :^)
>>
>>2937426
when people say draw from your shoulder they don't mean you're not allowed to move your wrist or fingers lol. it's 'from' not 'with'
>>
File: sheeeiiit.jpg (27KB, 753x696px) Image search: [Google]
sheeeiiit.jpg
27KB, 753x696px
>tfw you see a pro artist use this kind of grip without his hand touching the surface at all for a large portion of the sketch
>>
>>2937469
is that not the usual way?
>>
>>2937469
so what, there's no one way to draw
>>
File: 45678765.png (274KB, 455x455px) Image search: [Google]
45678765.png
274KB, 455x455px
>>2937359
>Drawing is like a great river rolling on unceasingly.

Except that's a surefire way to lose literally all of your Jing, dumbass. This kills the human.

There are some who believe that Jing (life force) cannot be restored. This is a terrible fallacy. Jing is very easy to restore. It is perhaps the greatest secret of the Orient that one's life force, Jing, can be maintained, stored and even increased. Some practitioners have heard that constitutional (prenatal) Jing cannot be replaced or restored, but there are certainly methods in the Taoist yogic system that purport to accomplish just that.

The yin and yang elements are supposed to be the product of a differentiation from the Tai Chi, "the grand limit," i.e., the absolute or ultimate reality of all existence, which, containing both yang and yin in potential efficiency, existed in the beginning. Yin and Yang energy must always remain well connected to promote a healthy mind, body, and spirit. If they separate completely, this is signified by a person's death.

When you focus with your attention on the Dantian, you can simultaneously sense your entire body, from top to toe. It also makes it possible to feel all kinds of feelings that are related to your body.

If one wants to draw something properly, one must
>expand their Dantian to encompass the entirety of the Tai Chi
>rid it of Yin and Yang, reverting existence back to chaos,
>create a nondual universe (ex nihilo of course)
>introduce disparity
>tweak physics so that when you're born 13 billion years later, you don't have fucking parkinsons.
>Kill yourself.
>take over his body while he is dreaming.

In order to withstand the end of existence, one would need to acquire a lot of Jing. The fluid believed to contain the most Jing is semen.
The only way to outlive existence is to ingest lots and lots of semen.

>TL;DR eat cocks and die
>>
File: reverting.png (2MB, 1487x909px) Image search: [Google]
reverting.png
2MB, 1487x909px
>>2937541
>rid it of Yin and Yang, reverting existence back to chaos,
Didn't know Zhuge Liang posted on /ic/, nor that the day would come when I could use this pic.
>>
>>2937044
I sincerely hope you get carpal tunnel and forever your chances of drawing anything ever again you dumb shitposter
>>
File: artist2017.jpg (67KB, 700x500px) Image search: [Google]
artist2017.jpg
67KB, 700x500px
>not digitally instructing a state-of-the-art robot to lay down your strokes with pin-point precision
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.