[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone ever used one of these? I wanna 3D print one but I need

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: dip-pen-nib-myers-po-750x421.jpg (32KB, 750x421px) Image search: [Google]
dip-pen-nib-myers-po-750x421.jpg
32KB, 750x421px
Anyone ever used one of these? I wanna 3D print one but I need to know how they function before i can model it.
>>
>>2936872
Pen nibs? I use them occasionally, but I prefer technical pens just because they're more convenient. I don't know if a 3D printed nib would work very well, since it's the flexibility of the metal nib that lets you draw with varying line weights. They aren't that pricey either, a 10 pack of G pen nibs only costs around $15, is there any reason you want to 3D print them instead of just buy them?
>>
>>2936874
It's an assignment for a class, I'll give her a shot anyhow. Thanks
>>
>>2936872
Dip pen nibs are make of springy metal. See that oval hole on the top? It collects and holds a droplet of ink due to the adhesion properties from the surface tension of water molecules. There is a slit running from that ink-droplet reservoir hole. When the tip of the pen nib runs across paper, the slit flexes open a little and through capillary action runs down it onto the paper.
>>
>>2936872
just buy one lol. they are pretty cheap. and they last a good while if you get a pack of them. i have had the same nibs for over a year now.
>>
>>2936872
Because of the extrusion printing, Your 3D printed nib will have weird wicking problems into the plastic, but could have desired effects.

Print the holder instead of the nib
>>
>>2936872
I did this whole project with two different nibs.
Drawings are only about 3x5ish in reality.

https://jorionblog.wordpress.com/2016/06/06/40-peanuts-in-the-desert/

Current project is on 11x17 so they aren't so fun with that. They seem to shit out on me a lot. Technical pens are quickly becoming the norm but damn I cant be buying them that often. Fucking Pigma microns, man.

Anyway, 3D printing is probably a no-go on that one.
>>
Is this real life?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9srD5CxeOWU&

might want to take a peek at that
>>
>>2936872
i'd be interested to see if a plastic nib would actually work, seems to me that it'd fail pretty quickly, but would still be cool
>>
>>2936872
What kind of printer do you have, and what filament? If you have an SLS machine I don't hink it would be that much of a hassle.
>>
>>2937319
Not OP but thanks, just watched through the video. It answered a lot of what I didn't know about different pens.
>>
I'd suggest buying them, they're fairly cheap.
As for how they work, you can get really nice expressive lines, but I personally found them hard to get used to. It's very easy to make a fuck up, but I'd say once you get used to them they're amazing.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.