[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

People always tell me how my work looks great and how they aspire to be as good as me but I think they're just being nice that's why I decided to post here. Share your thoughts.
>>
>Does it look professional?

no. unless you're thinking tumblr comics are professional
>>
>>2932211
Jesus Christ, anon, what are those noses?

I mean, just scale it back a bit.

Anyways, no, it's not at a professional level. But it is entirely acceptable for a webcomic.
>>
>>2932211
The drawings are nice but I guess it doesn't feel unique? Like the character designs, while cute, feel like something you could find anywhere on tumblr and seem really modeled after what's "popular" right now, E.G. like Steven Universe.

Composition seems ok, maybe a bit flat with how you place the characters. It would be cool to see how you handle different staging with character movement or more dynamic action. Double check your that you don't tangent too much either. It's not too distracting, but the dude's hair and arm in the second panel are doing some weird stuff with the wall. Then in the last panel the guy's speech bubble line is doing a HARD tangent where the grass and dirt meet.

The biggest issue to me, are the backgrounds. They aren't really designed at all beyond some simple lines here and there. It feels like you just kind of went "I need a tree, here I'll just do some squiggles and some straight lines," instead of making something that fits into this world of your's. Add some kind of life to it, something that makes it interesting, something that makes it your's. And smaller note, but just keep an eye on your perspective (if you decide to try and keep the perspective realistic), looks like it might've gotten a bit messy in that last panel on that pillar/ wall corner in the last panel.

It's cute overall and I think it's good start, but just doesn't feel like you put your own spin on it I guess.
>>
>>2932228
What do you consider to be professional then?

>>2932234
First of all, I love big noses. It's like telling an anime artist to stop drawing big eyes. Second, I don't understand this whole "it's acceptable for a webcomic" phrase. Why are lower qualities of art acceptable for webcomics?

>>2932237
Wouldn't a realistically drawn background clash with a simplistic drawing style? Also, I don't feel like my art looks like Steven Universe. The only similarity I see is that they are both western styles. It's like saying your style looks anime, you should change it?
>>
File: Barn_Mates_LQ_095.png (438KB, 1280x738px) Image search: [Google]
Barn_Mates_LQ_095.png
438KB, 1280x738px
>>2932248
Oh, no, I'm not saying to make your backgrounds realistic. I was saying that they almost feel like you're going for some kind of pseudo-realism. Design it more I think, take it further into simplicity if that's what you're going for. Proportionally though your characters remind me very much of Steven Universe, sure they're not the exact same. And I don't think there's any "name" for the style, especially since "Western" is more regional than anything, but it just seems similar to me (pic related). I'm not bashing you to change it, I'm just trying to encourage you to push the boundaries further.
>>
>>2932211
looks like a rip off of Steven Universe
whatever if you like it similar artists have similar styles to what inspires them, but this is just copying
>>
>>2932211

Your lines are generally clean and confident, however you're not weighting them properly and as such a lot of it is missing that extra polish that you'd seen in professional work.

Simple stuff like thicker lines for the characters in the foreground, thinner for the background, slight thickening where occlusion shadows would be etc would be an improvement. Your current habit right now of having every character surrounded by a white outline makes them look like cardboard cutouts.
>>
I'm so sick of this steven universe style of illustration
it looks fine and you're doing it fairly well in comparison to most of the similar type of shit I see on tumblr but shit man why not do something more original
also why aren't you using color
also the design of the speech bubbles and the fonts bother me
>>
>>2932292
Because this is what I like drawing? WTF? It's one thing to say improve your technical skills, is another thing to say draw in a different style. What if I said, stop drawing in anime style?
>>
>>2932297
>What if I said, stop drawing in anime style?

People say that all the time here, tho.
>>
>>2932297
>WTF?
are you 16?
>>
File: 1455328123984.png (85KB, 302x291px) Image search: [Google]
1455328123984.png
85KB, 302x291px
>>2932302
Time to mindbreak another artist.
>>
>>2932297
>because this is what I like drawing?
Are you asking me?

You asked what I thought, I'm telling you want I think. It's well executed derivative tumblr shit.
>>
File: 241235315.png (80KB, 243x247px) Image search: [Google]
241235315.png
80KB, 243x247px
>asks for something other than hug boxing
>gets it
>ignores and misinterprets the only two polite posts
>gets defensive and deflects criticism for everything else
>assumes everyone talking to him draws
anime
>>
>>2932211
>>2932297
I honestly wouldn't consider this very professional. The characters have odd proportions, everyone's head size relative to body is different, which looks weird especially on the skinny one. The art style is very derivative, it really just looks like you took the Steven Universe style and added some extra anime to it. Character designs feel similarly meh, they all have short/medium hair that sticks out in the direction they face, and they half lidded eyes with tiny pupils
Some anatomy/poses look weird, even for a cartoon, such as the hands, the muzzle-like profile view on the first panel, and the overly long arms. You could definitely go with pushing your poses a lot more, everyone seems so stiff, which is a major problem if you're trying to do a cartoon like art style.
Backgrounds are nothing to write home about, my main issue with them is that they look slapped on rather than complementing the composition of each panel.
Speaking of paneling, these panels are rather dull. The characters are shot at flat angles, which means there is little excitement, emotion, or interest on the purely visual side.
Overall, it's just really uninteresting and ameteur, it's got nothing to write home about. Read more professional comics, or even high quality webcomics. Compare the shot composition in this to a professionally published comic like Anya's Ghost, you can see the difference immediately.
>>
>>2932309
WTF???
*grabs stylus*
BACK THE FUCK OFF?????
>>
>>2932211
Top notch stuff my dude. Great linework and style. Maybe the backgrounds look a bit too simplistic, but that's hard to tell from these character heavy panels.
Do you also do more dynamic stuff? Usually what makes somebody a pro is that they can draw anything, not just frontal shots of goofy characters.
>>
>>2932211
boring
>>
>>2932211
Don't listen to anyone, there's nothing to learn from the criticism and nothing for you to improve
>>
>>2932211
I think it's decent. The art is good enough imo, I don't know about the writing yet.
>>
i really hate this fathead art style.
>>
File: Op's art vs su.png (356KB, 712x948px) Image search: [Google]
Op's art vs su.png
356KB, 712x948px
>>2932211
>>2932248
>Also, I don't feel like my art looks like Steven Universe.

I hate to burst your bubble but your style does look quite similar to SU, especially that last girl(guy?) in the last panel. I literally thought that character looked like a rip off version of lapis.

(pic related)
The facial features are nearly spot on and so is the hair except for some minor details such as the eyelashes but there is still not enough changes to make the character stand out more in it's own light. Even the body is similar to lapis. Long arms, slim body, small chest and hips, even the head looks weirdly proportionate to the body like lapis.

In my opinion, I think you need to change up your art style more or, if not, at least your characters looks. Your "style" has been over done in the art community especially in the Tumblr art community where every art piece looks like a doppelganger or a somewhat clone version of the SU style.

If you really love this art style then go with it if you want, even though it'll look just like the other endless pieces of Tumblr art. But at least you should change up the characters looks, not just the lapis-lookin one but all of them because each one looks like a rip off version of SU or a back ground character from SU.
>>
did you really come here to get criticism or did you just hope everyone here was going to love your work the way it is?
why do you even offer it up for critique if you dont like to hear it? dont take criticism of your work as criticism of yourself as a person. seperate it. work hard and listen to other people. at first its always uncomfortable, trust me. but after a while art is going to be even more fun because you can escape the crutches and excuses you have been making.
>>
>>2932597
You got it right until the last 2 images. Shit comparison there. The rest though? Definitely spot on.
>>
File: Embarassing.png (473KB, 600x706px) Image search: [Google]
Embarassing.png
473KB, 600x706px
>It's another episode of "OP asks for critiques/opinions and then shoots down all of them"
Jesus christ, I'm getting tired of reruns. If you're happy drawing tumblrshit then just go enjoy it. Just also understand and accept that you're not going to get the validation for doing it you seem to be looking for anywhere besides your hugbox.
>>
>>2932211
>Does it look professional?
No.

And it looks like some SJW crap that seems to be an endless supply of from twitter and facebook. I can tell based on the style without even knowing the plot.
>>
OP. It really does look like SU. Not "western". It'd be one thing if your art was a Disney rip off and you tried to argue western. At least Disney is commonly seen everywhere in movies and cartoons. But your style stems straight from one singular show that's been filtered through tumblr.
Just look at that sideways rubber band for that smirk.
This is not comparable to anime fans who who tend to merge together several different styles. This is one western style.
There is nothing wrong with this if you're happy with it but stop trying to argue it's not similar to SU.
Are you highschool age? Never saw toons before 2010?
I'm just baffled.
>>
File: ic.png (1024KB, 700x2800px) Image search: [Google]
ic.png
1024KB, 700x2800px
>>
>>2932809
wow. people are genuinely trying to give advice here (inbetween a few shitposters).
i guess you prefer to just think "everyone who criticizes me is a mean, racist, 4channer who doesnt know anything about art anyways so nothing they say is correct anyways! i can just stay shitty as long as all my friends tell me im great"
yeah. this is fucking sad. you are sad.
>>
>>2932809
kek
>>
>>2932809
Please show me a professional who uses the tumblr style
>>
>>2932809
/ic/ seems more fit than those two chubby blob characters and comes off as a pretty cool guy.
>>
>>2932825
/ic/'s pretty effay
>>
holy shit op this thread is great thanks for the giggles. I love damage control and backtracking
>>
>>2932211

Looks like you are drawing steven universe but with giant gorilla arms on everyone
>>
>>2932211
I think it looks fine for the most part, and professional on some level, but that depends on how you define "professional".
The last character's proportions, however, don't fit with the other characters. Looks strange how big their head is in proportion to their body.
>>
>>2932809
kek of the thread
>>
>>2932809
/ic/ sensei is based
>>
>>2932211
First the dialogue, it NEEDS to be proofread because it Is difficult to read. I'll take the first line:
"I've made plans for today to get you started on meeting the others and learning what your duties here will be."
Here's a fixed, more readable version.
"I've made plans to get you started, you'll be learning what your duties will be and getting to meet the others."

I don't want to ramble on about sentence structure and fluency. Just know that It's important that the reader isn't confused by the lack of structure.

Secondly nothing is really interesting about how any of the information is presented. It doesn't necessarily look bad, however, it looks boring, as if the characters were designed to be animated. The backgrounds looks flat and uninteresting. There's really no reason to spend the effort of drawing nicely proportioned back groundd if they don't give the reader any idea of what the world is like beyond bushes and brick houses.
>>
>>2932211
HAVE YOU EVER SEEN A TREE?
>>
>>2933169
>"proofread the dialogue"
>suggestion has a comma splice
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.