[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone with dysphraxia become a good artist? What kind of

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: 1488460545581.png (3MB, 1400x6521px) Image search: [Google]
1488460545581.png
3MB, 1400x6521px
Can someone with dysphraxia become a good artist? What kind of obstacles would they need to overcome as opposed to someone who does not suffer from dysphraxia?
>>
not stabbing yourself in the eye with a pencil
>>
Its an umbrella disorder encompassing 6% of society, right? So you don't know exactly whats up. Some cases it may be hopeless, some its just a lower basal ability

I always had bad coordination and the peter han shit at cgpeers helped me somewhat within 4 months. After that the improvements became tectonic in pace but I don't want top risk my ability deteriorating so I keep at it daily.
>>
>>2928113

PS I also whittled it down to coordination workouts + boxes in perspective+ added more ellipses, overall doing 2 pages of vert. and horiz. lines, ellipses over that, another 2 pages of circles within rows, larger ones drawn across multiple rows, then 2 pages of boxes
>>
>>2928117
I have no idea what you're saying. Basically my writing is shit on multiple levels, I can't write in a straight line and it requires a shit load of focus to print something neatly and this is the case for several different alphabets. I'm not one to let a disorder get the best of me but I want to see how other artists who suffer from similar situations succeed or even fail.

I know there's a bunch of guides they talk about how age, calligraphy skill, money,L and time are just excuses, but what about an actual disorder?
>>
>>2928131

The disorder is likely many different things, not a single condition, therefore there is no way of telling if you can sufficiently improve or not.

Good coordination practice guide I recommended is the video tutorial by Peter Han. Full version is posted on a private tracker, cgpeers. It allows registration 1st and 14th every month. Its a good resource overall. Register when possible and dl the tutorial. It contains more than coordination-oriented exercises, so pick and choose if you feel all of it is too much.

Then grind daily and you may see results within several months. Or not.

Try to not draw over the same line multiple times, I find that cripples the effort, as you run through the previous groove in the paper instead of stabilizing the pen yourself.

You can use pencil for most of Peter's stuff no problem, even though he recommends other tools. However expect the lines to be barely visible as your strokes get lighter.

Writing and rewriting this is 100 times more effort than you deserve, so I don't want to hear any defeatist whining. Go and try it, faggot.
>>
>>2928169

PS About finding other dysphraxia sufferers: its 6% of total population, almost nobody's diagnosed. Especially older anons who could realistically tell you about their experience.
>>
>>2928169
Thanks. That's alot more clear than your previous post, I'll give it a shot
>>
>>2928060
Seeing this thread on this day is uncanny as fuck, OP

I have dyspraxia. I made it through painting at art school doing well, but never good enough. Shit is always off, I'm terrible at drawing perspective. I'm amazing at copying from photos, but from life nothing makes sense. If I try to constructs something from my imagination, I can't make even the most basic forms make sense or visualise rotating things.

I just thought I was shit, but I got my diagnosis for dyspraxia last year when I went back to do a Masters. It floored me, I thought I maybe had ADHD or something. It feels good to know that there's a reason I fuck up all the time, and that it's not just because I'm a huge failure that can't into special awareness but at the same time it's been absolutely crushing fighting with the idea that I just might never be able to overcome this. That a person without dyspraxia with my level of experience/dedication is always going to be better.

On the other hand, today I had an interview with a epublishing firm who need digital illustrators. They're taking me.
Sure, I'm never going to be Sargeant but it looks like I might be able to make a living from this for a while. It's never going to win me intellectual praise or artistic awards but online drawing furry dicks, I can show this work to my family. Yes, it still hurts that I'm probably never going to be as good as I want to be and maybe in 10 years time I'll be bitter from drawing kids cartoons rather than being Kim Jung G but right now, it's still something to be proud of. I feel so ecstatic right now, I can't even believe this is finally happening after so many nights of sobbing over my portfolio.

So buck the fuck up and keep fighting.
>>
>>2928764
I have made so many typos because I'm high on life right now. I'm making it famalam!
>>
>>2928764
That's really cool anon I'm happy for you. I just started but I can't really grasp life starting. I'll look at a shape and break it down into shapes but when it comes to judging distance and size difference I just fail. I need to go back to reading techniques. I see people starting out and their life drawings look good so it makes me question myself.

Congrats again
>>
>>2928169
>Try to not draw over the same line multiple times
Huh? Doesn't Peter Han tell you to do exactly that?
>>
>>2928977
Please keep it up, and remember that even though you Dyspraxia is not a crutch, it's definitely a handicap. It doesn't mean you should give up but accept that it's human to feel challenged and frustrated by how others don't have this handicap. Don't pay so much attention to the speed/age of others, it's a shame that you have a longer path to travel but you can still get there, be kind to yourself and play to your strengths where you can.
Welcome to art! At least we both weren't born without hands, or something!
>>
>>2929159
Yeah. I understand. I feel more there's gotta be a technique or method that I can work with. I might not draw the best looking things in the world, but I could probably work a style and I know /ic/hates stylized shit, it would make me content since this is for fun, not a career.
>>
>>2929181
That seems like a really good idea, you can keep your perspective studies up in the background without having to share them too. If you can get a couple of white lego/mathlink cubes and practice stacking them into different shapes and quickly sketching them from different angles it can reduce some fear (pic oddly related)
You seem to have a really good attitude, so I'm going to say a really hypocritical thing. Imho, don't go on /ic/ too much, I used to come here daily for a year and for that whole time I was stuck in my head, I was too busy caring about doing 500 studies of an arm, or how much Sakimichan was making on Patreon or whatever that I just felt like I was banging my head against a wall and nearly dropped out of my course because I felt useless. There's a lot of useful stuff on here, but there's a lot of the "bucket crab mentality" stuff too. /ic/ doesn't just hate styles, /ic/ hates itself.
>>
>>2928060
>infograph completely devoid of the word "gesture"
Into the trash it goes
>>
>>2929200
Thanks for all your help. I'm aware of his things can be, I'm also capable of reading between the lines.

>>2929277
It was the only one I had on my new harddrive
>>
>>2929087

Han is just a guy mostly regurgitating older techniques. [Spoiler] Also, the markers he uses might not actually impact the paper surface. I don't bother and just use pencils so I wouldn't know.[/Spoiler]

Think about human neurology and what it takes to make an even line. Will repeatedly leaning on the sides of a deepening groove to stabilize help you lay a normal line in the future more or less that doing fresh lines side by side?
>>
File: 1474602480419.gif (421KB, 359x371px) Image search: [Google]
1474602480419.gif
421KB, 359x371px
>>2929971
>tells someone not to do one of the most important line confidence exercises
>reason being because he's a subhuman and using a fucking pencil to do them

KILL
YOUR
SELF

this is why nobody comes to /ic/ or takes its advice anymore
>>
>>2930266
Sam please
>>
>>2930266
>frogposting
The ironing
>>
>>2928060
I was diagnosed as a kid and I don't think it's affected my art at all. I got good IQ scores at the same time as being diagnosed because of those tests where you have to turn a shape around in your head and point out which one is correct, and that's very relevant for drawing. Maybe the dyspraxic stuff made that better.

I don't run very well, took forever to learn how to ride a bike and hate it even today, and I'm a bit of an emotionless autist when it comes to dealing with people, but this shit affects everyone differently. One of the things the textbooks said about it when I was diagnosed was how it might hinder reading ability and all that stuff, whereas my reading was the same level as kids 5 years older than me.

Don't use it as an excuse, and don't even think about it desu. So what if your hand cramps up faster than other peoples, just turn your sensitivity down and get a larger tablet. So what if you don't memorise forms quite as fast as others, just do a few more pages. Whatever negatives your version of dyspraxia has, there'll be equal or greater benefits too.
>>
>>2930602
Thats inspirational stuff. I'm not letting it hold me back, I don't even know how negatively it will affect the learning process for me. I'm just curious if other suffered from it yet came out successful
>>
>>2928060
If you're drawing digitally you can crank up the stabilizer to straighten your lines.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.