[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

have you ever just slowly stopped being able to draw for no reason

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

File: 1489977018588-2.jpg (137KB, 871x917px) Image search: [Google]
1489977018588-2.jpg
137KB, 871x917px
have you ever just slowly stopped being able to draw for no reason

Over the past few weeks I've just gotten worse and worse and less inspired and now I'm more or less back where I started a couple years ago

Is it fatigue? I've had a lot of non-art related shit going down work-wise.
>>
I think it happens to everyone, we're all human
>>
>>2927229

AFTER ALL DON'T PUT THE BLAME ON ME DON'T PUT A BLAME ON ME
>>
I don't think the brain is wired to do one thing for so long. That's borderline insane, so it happens.
>>
>>2927163
Same here, senpai. Can't muster the energy to draw, even if I have time.

Need to find a muse, something that inspires you to start drawing again
>>
>>2927784
I think for me this happens the most often when I study the fundies too much without having fun.
For example if I spend a week only drawing cubes and cylinders in perspective I'm quickly burned out, I forget the reason I was learning to draw and don't enjoy doing it any more, slowly giving up.
Then I just need to find that spark again which made me start in the first place [spoil]which is cute animu girls[/spoil] and force myself to grab a sheet of paper and draw, draw without paying attention to little mistakes or tiny details, just draw like you are a kid again, without a care in the world.

I sometimes forget to have fun with drawing, I focus too much on drawing correctly and study too hard on a single subject and forget to draw things that I want to draw.
So I just need to realise that and I'm happy again until the next breakdown.
>>
>>2927163
>I've had a lot of non-art related shit going down work-wise.

There's your problem. Most problems when it comes to art aren't actually art problems, they're life problems.
>>
Happened to me in the 2015 inktober... Mostly because I drew/painted an insane amount(for me) in the course of one and a half month...
I'm just getting back to drawing now and the thing that is instigating me is picking up an Ipad Pro to ease the process and challenging myself again about drawing better anatomy.

Will it work? I dunno, but I feel kinda bad to have stopped for more than a year when I could be landing some minor jobs in the field already.
>>
>>2928078
Do you have a blog? I don't think I've ever seen you before.
>>
when the new zelda came out, i spent a lot of time playing it and for some reason i just couldn't draw. whatever i did just came out terrible so i basically stopped drawing. Though just barely am i recovering.

protip: DONT STOP DRAWING!

also when i see someones art, and see how much better it is I do sometimes feel inadequate and lose my confidence, so it may very well also be psychological.
>>
>>2928086
http://vinicam.tumblr.com/
>>
>>2928078
Getting a new tablet will definitely not help inspire you to draw.
>>
>>2928318

I dunno, I get motivated with new tools sometimes... I'm already drawing some anatomy studies, the tablet is just a plus.
>>
sit down and draw one line every day, trust me when I say the hardest part is starting.
>>
>>2928001
I needed dis
>>
>>2929728

You're right. For some time I had the habit to have a pencil and a sketchbook in every place that I spend a lot of time, like my desk at work or my PC desk at home. I probably should get into this habit again or start carrying the Ipad Pro when I get it.
>>
File: 1466842028646.png (1MB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1466842028646.png
1MB, 720x540px
i feel the same.

like right now im decent at drawing from imagination, but by no means am i "good".

so when I draw, I get discouraged because it doesnt look good. so I just stop. but I know that in order to git good, I have to just keep making things that arent good. but my brain doesnt allow me to finish things I dont feel are good. feels like im stuck some kind of paradox
>>
>>2930496
You aren't your brain, you ever think that? You're just an electric force.
>>
File: 1474269097435.gif (464KB, 500x338px) Image search: [Google]
1474269097435.gif
464KB, 500x338px
>>2928088
This, totally this!

The past 6 months has been me starting to sketch, losing confidence a minute later and sketching something else. Eventually, the whole day is spent doodling some stuff that isn't finished and what I know could look better. It's a cycle that I go through everyday, and it feels like my energy to draw drains after every sketch.

It's even more discouraging when I see other artists draw way better stuff, making me question why I should even try. Even caused an emotional breakdown or two.
>>
it gets worse, then better though.
i started drawing last week after 5 years break.
>>
File: 1462503643464.gif (394KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1462503643464.gif
394KB, 500x281px
>>2930567
>tfw i been doing this ever since ive started going on /ic/
atleast i draw better
>>
I regularly stop drawing for months on end because I'll suddenly hate everything I make and feel like a failure and a disappointment. Nothing "clicks" for me anymore, everything I make feels stale, I feel like I'm not learning anything new despite changing my media and subject matter.. whatever. Any and all of those things plus more. So I spend a couple months playing video games and fucking around on 4chan, and then eventually come back to art when I get bored of everything else.

Then a few months go by, and the cycle repeats itself. Never gonna make it.
>>
>>2928088
>tfw haven't played Zelda because I spent time drawing
Most of what I want to draw are cute Links
I want to get back to it but it's either I don't sleep or I don't draw
>>
File: [sweat].gif (2MB, 260x260px) Image search: [Google]
[sweat].gif
2MB, 260x260px
>>2930567
>>2930698
I had the biggest "what the hell am I doing with my life" moment recently. I go to a fine arts school and during crits I keep thinking to myself "I can't draw, these people can't draw, and worst of all my prof can't draw." It's starting to really kill my confidence, my drawing skills have returned to how they were 2 years ago. My semester ends in a few days, after this it's grinding studies all day so hopefully my gainz come back.
>>
>>2930775
>grinding studies all day
ngmi
>>
>>2927163
there is no point to drawing, the progression is not linear, quite easy to regress, can't really show it off to people outside of internet and gallery
if you want to get better at something without shame or any personal feelings attached, art is the worst thing you could possibly do.
>>
as you grow up you realize what a meaningless waste of time drawing is
there is no value to it outside of entertainment and entertainment is a brainless stimulation that makes everyone dumber
>>
>>2931543
not him, but whats wrong with that
>>
>>2934206
People these days have forgotten what studies are all about and that's to improve your own work by seeing what others did that works. If all you're going to do is study, you might as well be a printer.
>>
>>2934209
then what do you suppose I do instead?
>>
>>2934213
I didn't say you shouldn't one thing or another, anon. I just said, people don't know what studies are for.
>>
>>2927163
Nothing permanent, but I certainly have times where drawing seems impossible, and other times where it comes easy.

It's odd looking back at my old art. While it's generally crap and often has severe anatomical errors, there's the occasional picture that far exceeded the skill level I was at.
I've also noticed that there are a handful of things I drew better in the old days, but I think it's mostly a result of me having more patience back then and cleaning up the art, rather than half-assing it and moving on to a new piece.
>>
I don't know man. I always thought the more I draw the better I get. But I keep sucking. So I change medium. But nothing works so far.
>>
>>2934109

I bet professional gaming/trying to be a pro gamer are worse. At least art has other applications in life that can help you.
>>
You think you are bad at drawing?

Let me help you feel better about yourself.

www.Instagram.com/tbho

I been doing a drawing a day for straight 192 days and I still suck. Lmao ded
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.