[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

do you absolutely need a drafting kit to do erik olson's

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 19

File: trXSfen.jpg (22KB, 494x482px) Image search: [Google]
trXSfen.jpg
22KB, 494x482px
hey, poorfag here. Was wondering if i could get by in this course just using a basic ruler. Also is this course actually helpful??
>>
>>2927125
Pls post the torrent
>>
>>2927207
its on cg peers. youll have to wait to sign up.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1490923709659.jpg (96KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1490923709659.jpg
96KB, 720x960px
>>2927225
Thank you
>>
File: gaychips.jpg (32KB, 1172x155px) Image search: [Google]
gaychips.jpg
32KB, 1172x155px
>>2927125
>Was wondering if i could get by in this course just using a basic ruler.
Ha ha, no. You need a protractor. You can digitally measure in photoshop using the line tool, but I like sketchbook pro. It has french kurbs built in and it's just like working with the real deal. And the ruler tool has measuring degrees as well--it's literally the God among industrial design software.
>Also is this course actually helpful??
Don't have 2nd thoughts. If you don't do it someone else will and be better than you. That is the nature of this field.
>>
>>2927125
You just need some basic geometry tools, also helps to get an ellipse guide but that isn't necessary. The main thing is the notes so make sure to write shit down
>>
>>2927256
thanks i will get some tomorrow. What kind of notes should i be taking? I've been copying the diagrams traditionally and then just writing down explanations on how to use/replicate them. I think this is ok?

>>2927243
Thanks! I will download it worst case scenario.
>>
>>2927125
>Also is this course actually helpful??

Ask yourself who do you want to listen to - some Olson nobody who never achieved anything and who's course will never be complete because his employers aren't interested in some hack rambling for 90h without even going to 3-point perspective

OR

Steve Huston, accomplished artist that actually has his cool oil paintings hung in galleries and reprints sold in a bulk ON TOP OF having years upon years of teaching experience and who tells you to not fucking delve into classic perspective for figure drawing and that it can be summarized with referencing a tilt etc. of forms with your own pen and you'd fucking better focus on gesture (and then structure you give your forms).

Think for yourself, don't trust /ic/.
>>
File: rpngmi4.jpg (82KB, 800x1168px) Image search: [Google]
rpngmi4.jpg
82KB, 800x1168px
>>2927325
Olson covers specific subjects mentioned in loomis but explained so even the biggest retard on /ic/ (you) can get it. Perspective is one of the 5 P's of loomis; you either know it or allow your competition to walk all over you.

I know you're ngmi, but try not to instill your ngmi advice into those who want to make it.
>>
>>2927338
Oh and by the way both artist have art hung in galleries. They're both more successful than your entire family combined.
>>
File: 6_800.jpg (108KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
6_800.jpg
108KB, 800x533px
>>2927338
>>2927340

Yeah, pic related, Olson's "art".

>waaah, b-but Loomis, also I post anime shit so my fart opinion is valid

Ok, keep living in delusion and treating art that belongs to WWII propaganda posters as a guide for your career. If Loomis wouldn't fart his art guides in the past, nobody would remember about him now.
>>
>>2927349
1. It's hung in a gallery. You implied Olson didn't have such success.
2. When you said "think for yourself" I guess you really meant "only listen to me"
3. I'm probably speaking with the same retard I reply to once each day here. Golden age illustration is the same inspiration your idol Huston studies and he even recommends loomis.

Which leads me to suspect you know dick all and just want (you)s but unfortunately for you, you have already gotten my (you) today at least 6 times.
>>
Olson is a meme. You do not need that much perspective for 99% of the stuff you do, you most likely wont even be able to retain 90+ hours of shit, and perspective is best learned by learning the simple basics and practicing them repeatedly, not by having Erik Olson explain them over and over to you for 50 hours. Name me one person who has gone through this course and is now good. There's always some fad tutorial series that comes up on /ic/ and people say it's the secret to gitting gud but then they tired of it.
>>
>>2927237
cg peers is a meme
>>
>>2927360
>You do not need that much perspective for 99% of the stuff you do.

eh, im only doing the first 10 sections(which is about half the amount of hours), supplemented by scott robertson's basic perspective form drawing and a little bit of drawbox. What do you suggest instead??

>>2927325
> some hack rambling for 90h without even going to 3-point perspective

is 3 point all that important anyway??
>>
File: RaphaelaErikOlson_800.jpg (500KB, 800x1069px) Image search: [Google]
RaphaelaErikOlson_800.jpg
500KB, 800x1069px
>>2927357

Problem is that golden age of illustration doesn't have Loomis face. Hell, he isn't mentioned anywhere, not for pin ups, magazine covers or books. Golden age of illustration has a face of Edmund Dulac, Leyendecker, Oakley, Wyeth...Loomis isn't there among those people. He is nobody.

>huston recommends Loomis

IF he does (I don't remember him talking about Loomis, only that he got into art because of comics and that he ) it's probably the same case as with every older artist - there just wasn't much back then. Older American artists usually only had access to Bridgman, Loomis and then...erm, nearly nothing? Huston btw was learning under the Hogarth and picked from him, so that's that.

Btw, have more Erik Olson's art.
>>
>>2927392

>is 3 point all that important anyway??

Well, there wouldn't be Spiderman without 3-point perspective. It is important if you want to do more dynamic shots or show character in environment in proper way. Curvilinear/fish lens is more of a quirk though, but useful/creates nice effects.
>>
>>2927406
oki dok, i will try to get some 3 point in as well, thanks!
>>
>>2927349
>>2927393
I have no clue what this entire debate is about but that's a different Erik Olson. There's at least three different artists all called Erik Olson on the first page of results.
>>
>>2927423
>There's at least three different artists all called Erik Olson on the first page of results.

kek
>>
File: anothersunrisesplash.jpg (88KB, 774x556px) Image search: [Google]
anothersunrisesplash.jpg
88KB, 774x556px
>>2927426
>>2927423

Oh wait, you are right. Actual Erik Olson from NMA lectures art looks like pic related.
>>
File: oncewassplash.jpg (79KB, 774x556px) Image search: [Google]
oncewassplash.jpg
79KB, 774x556px
>>2927429

Noice perspective use.
>>
File: thelaststopsplash.jpg (98KB, 774x556px) Image search: [Google]
thelaststopsplash.jpg
98KB, 774x556px
>>2927430
>>
This is important guys, are there some good alternatives to Olson's video curse? A written one mainly.

Also is his course necessary? I mean perspective made easy seem enough for majority of the stuff
>>
>>2927433
these are of detroit?
>>
File: 51kIJnCzf9L.jpg (58KB, 361x500px) Image search: [Google]
51kIJnCzf9L.jpg
58KB, 361x500px
>>2927434

Vanishing point is pretty 5/5 and have all types of perspective including curvilinear ones.

>Is his course necessary?

We are arguing about that ITT. I stand by the claim that you don't need to bother about heavy perspective drawing. Chances are that you won't really incorporate it in your drawings regularly. Moreover, entirerly correct perspective can be sometimes harmful to the piece. You might actually find yourself battling the fight between appealing and correct on the correct side, which in the case of art is losing side in every case.

I also am a bit opposed to heavy construction drawing, BUT I will proceed in next posts to show you how krenz, a really talented Taiwanese guy does perspective which has pretty much nothing to do with drawing every vanishing point there is.
>>
File: Patreon-Dec-angle-control-eng-p1.jpg (652KB, 650x4128px) Image search: [Google]
Patreon-Dec-angle-control-eng-p1.jpg
652KB, 650x4128px
>>2927441
>>
File: Patreon-Dec-angle-control-eng-p2.jpg (790KB, 650x4128px) Image search: [Google]
Patreon-Dec-angle-control-eng-p2.jpg
790KB, 650x4128px
>>2927442
>>
File: Patreon-Dec-angle-control-eng-p3.jpg (899KB, 650x4128px) Image search: [Google]
Patreon-Dec-angle-control-eng-p3.jpg
899KB, 650x4128px
>>2927443
>>
File: patreon3.jpg (567KB, 2126x1943px) Image search: [Google]
patreon3.jpg
567KB, 2126x1943px
>>2927444
>>
>>2927445
>>
File: 3-RotateSkill.jpg (4MB, 6230x4131px) Image search: [Google]
3-RotateSkill.jpg
4MB, 6230x4131px
>>2927450
>>
File: patreon-paintover.jpg (2MB, 3508x2480px) Image search: [Google]
patreon-paintover.jpg
2MB, 3508x2480px
>>2927451
>>
I think many of you anons are missing the point of the course. It isn't simply about a bunch of different techniques to portray things in perspective, rather it's more like setting up the framework in your head that allows you see everything through a different lens (and more importantly visualize environments). I don't know how difficult it was for you to attain 'perspective vision' but I needed to work up to course 12 and it just snapped into me in an instant. After that it became ridiculously easy to understand Scott Robertson's book
>>
>>2927393
huston does recommend loomis, and so does watts and pretty much every good art instructor across the planet, because loomis is one of the extremely rare cases of an artist that is both really good at art and teaching ( and teaching is an art itself).
Even the golden age illustrators recognized them, Norman fucking Rockwell tells you his books are fucking amazing, and there simply isn't much for ressource out there that encompasses as much quality education as those books because most modern artists who try to regurgitate loomis simply aren't as good at him.
>>
>>2927478
Yeah that's great but I can't get a hold of the damn lecture because cgpeers is a fucking meme ahhhh
>>
>>2927393
I know you're being retarded on purpose.
>Hell, he isn't mentioned anywhere, not for pin ups, magazine covers or books.
>but disciple of Bridgman
>an art instructor
>had his books published in candy shops for tots to get their feet wet with becoming a commercial illustrator
The only nobody here is you.
>IF he does
How can you not know he does? You just outed yourself that you don't even follow Huston and probably don't even draw (which I know that anyway because you're the same daily idiot).
>there just wasn't much back then
No back then people could just attend school because school was cheaper and the industry was booming. The greatest teachers alive in history was an inch away from your penis.
> Huston btw was learning under the Hogarth and picked from him, so that's that.
They're all from Art Center. They're all buddies and sponged off each other when that era was great.

Congratulations, your first (you) for the afternoon.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.