[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you guys feel about the relationship between a person's

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

How do you guys feel about the relationship between a person's work and their hobbies?

I've had a thought recently.

After searching through tens and tens of "do what you love" and "you work for a living" posts across the internet, I've come to the conclusion that a person's work should at least be tangentially related to what they do outside of work.

It is my belief that a person's work should give some sort of value to the things they do outside of their work-life, while at the same time maintaining a separation between "work" and "play".

I've found that the minute you try to make a job out of the thing (or things) you love, it ends up taking over your life and you end up losing the love that you had for your... thing. Or things.

I could just be a faggot, though. Thoughts?
>>
>>2926606
I don't think hobbies and work should necessarily be related, but in the case of art often it is strengthened by bringing in outside interests. Pretty much every good artists has interests outside of art and reflects it in their work in some (possibly subtle) way. Good art is infused with your experiences and interests.
>>
>>2926606
>It is my belief that a person's work should give some sort of value to the things they do outside of their work-life, while at the same time maintaining a separation between "work" and "play".

I completely agree. I think there has to be a line between work and play. I also think that your job is likely to shape the type of person you are, and its probably that inherent character that leads you to that field and subsequently those hobbies. Like someone who does alot of manual labor may enjoy something tactile, like building model aircraft, or someone who is an accountant may enjoy gardening because of its organized nature and ability to allot certain things to certain locations. Of course this different for everyone.
>>
>>2926644
I may be projecting a bit.

I'm currently working a job that isn't all that interesting to me. I go, collect a paycheck, and come home. You could argue that the value of my job is in the financial stability it provides me, but it doesn't feed the soul. So, when I go to work, I begin to feel like it's a waste of time between my hobby and I, and when I go home to work on my hobby, I try my best not to think about my work.
>>
>>2926695
What kind of job is it? Maybe it will inform your artwork in some way, even on an unconscious level. Or maybe not. At the very least it provides stability for you and lets you have a separate of work and play which can be quite useful. you might also be able to use time at work to think about art stuff. If you are a server for example take mental notes on the customers and their body types/characters, how they act, etc. If you work in an office you can try to take note of the types of objects and furnishings there, the way fluorescent lights affect things, what your coworkers look like, or use downtime and lunch hours to do some drawing or go on walks in the area.
>>
>>2926704
i actually work at a fairly big print shop... that also ships a lot of packages.

We deal with a large volume of people each day, and it seems like we're starting to deal with less design & print orders and more with shipping nowadays. Not to mention we're only given a 30 minute lunch period.

I'm learning how to animate in my spare time, the most I can do at my job is observe, and try to recall when I get home.
>>
different people have different levels of willpower and mindfulness for different things

it's more about knowing your personal limit than thinking there's a "set" line between work and play. that's where your best quality of work is made. some people are just plain wired to be better as hobbyist than full-timers
>>
When I worked at a restaurant, I'd go to the food court after my shift and draw people who entered the mall.
>>
>>2926766
The mall always has good looking people.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.