[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

so applefingers just posted this . is there still hope?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: Clipboard.jpg (485KB, 505x1135px) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard.jpg
485KB, 505x1135px
so applefingers just posted this . is there still hope? can we actually make it?
>>
Easy to say when you're already making bank. He should be taking aim at the studios that want that 'cinematic cookie cutter style' instead of artists that do it.
>>
>>2926145
I look at those artists and I think my stuff doesn't look as striking but I don't feel like I'm competing with them in the first place.
>>
>>2926129
didn't read the whole thing. just
>i don't like color pickers or photobashers.
totally agree. i don't consider anyone who does it to be as good as they've surely convinced themselves they are.
>>
Does he even do concept art? How would he know?
>>
>>2926129
DISHONORABLE DISPRAY
>>
>>2926129
What does "color picking" refer to in this context? Blindly stealing colours off references without giving it any thought?
>>
This guy - despite his best intentions - is wrong that it's okay to take the long, hard way. This guy is implying that money and speed don't matter in the industry. That shit is important, especially in a competitive field where speed is big factor. Purely digitally painting concept art work is inefficient at a professional level.

If you can digitally paint as fast and efficient as someone Photobashing and colorpicking, then more power to you. That typically isn't the case. If you want to digitally paint, then get into illustration, not concept art.

Other than that, this guy is just complaining about semantics.
>>
>>2926223
Actually he says pretty clearly that he totally gets why people do it in the industry
>>
>>2926129
Does he still visit /ic/?
>>
>>2926205
I'd like to know this as well.
>>
>>2928106
He never did. I think he showed up maybe once or twice when he was linked threads that were specifically about him/bashing him or something, but he was never a regular as far as I know.
>>
>>2926129
Who fucking cares, digital painting isn't even fucking REAL. It has monetary/commercial value. it has it's place as a tool in a workflow, or part of a greater whole...manbabies like it...but let's be honest it's trash.
>>
File: whore_wip.jpg (36KB, 474x350px) Image search: [Google]
whore_wip.jpg
36KB, 474x350px
>>2928199

pic related, my work
>>
>>2928203
nice try algen, slavishly render any feathers lately?
>>
>>2926129
Hes not with the times. He doesnt realize the longer
the more the artist upload their art online, the more art that woulds exist in the internet, the bigger pool of art to photobash, trace, copy and steal from.

The same thing happened with music and the rise of DJs, the same will happen to artists
>>
any amateur, shitty noob or starting out pro shouldn't read any of what these drama cunts are writing about

grabbing these rants out of context and applying it to your wannabe career is so destructive. this guy only values his own skill and he applies it to a field that's much larger than what he does. don't listen to this bullshit nor to the other guy for that matter

figure out what your goal is and work towards it instead of this shit
>>
When you hear people talking like that, you actually should know who they are/what are their experiences.

Apfeldhduenk was for years slaving like a mule. He was seriously killing himself with working his ass off and as a result he progressed pretty fast and had some awesomely rendered pieces.

Then he worked for Magic: the Gathering, worked his ass even more. Then he realized he was buttfucked on money, even stuff like playmats sales with his art gave Wizards of the Coast a lot more monies than he got. Then he became butthurt. Then he realized that people who also worked for WotC and other big companies didn't worked half as much and still got their pay.

Then.he noticed that not only normies, but also art directors can't tell/don't care for good photobash/paintover/color picking/outright tracing.

t. traditionalfag that holds digitalfaggots in absolute contempt
>>
>>2928948
>t. traditionalfag that holds digitalfaggots in absolute contempt

Makes sense, you sound slightly retarded

Photobashing isn't very prevalent in the industry Algen works in. It's mostly a concept art thing and even there it's just a small subset of concept art that makes use of it.
>>
>>2928984

Top kek, and you are saying that I sound retarded?

Algenpfleger mainly works for Wizards of the Coast on Magic:the Gathering, he also worked before on some Legend of the Cryptids stuff.

If photobashing and related stuff was to be prevalent in any kind of job, it would be a job like that, where you have to have quite a big output of illustration on quite tight deadlines and where you can easily get away with it because all the art you'll be doing will be eventually downsized to the card size or to the screen of a phone with Android on it.

Btw, Brad Wigney also was employed both for MtG and LoC and he is photobasher extaordinare. But is his work used? Yes it is. Heavily. And for the "main" stuff like Planeswalkers.

So really, if anyone is delusional about that stuff, it is and your ilk. Main advantage of digital is fast workflow and it is the main and only reason why it is so heavily used nowadays in commercial art. If you don't shortcuts to optimize your workflow, you are just idiot - or should abandon digital and work traditional and make yourself a reputation of selling expensive oils.
>>
>>2926223
>>2926145
>>2928248
No reading comprehension, fuck this board
>>
>>2926129
Wtf i love algenpfleger now
>>
This is coming from a guy, who thinks painting and drawing 100% from imagination, all the time, is the purest form of being an artist. Why does he think that? Because he worships people like Marko Djurdjevic, Wes Burt, Daniel Chavez and other CA.org icons like nobody else. Yet he disregards the fact that they admittedly learned to draw that way because they were naive enough during their development to believe, that all great artists worked without references. Despite that he now thinks he's part of some special elitist club and has the right to look down on everyone else.

This kind of elitism is cancer, not the natural development of an art form.
Remember, these kind of shitheads existed throughout the ages, denouncing even oil painting as a medium back when it was new because you could overpaint your mistakes! No matter what new art forms and habits will arise due to technological advancements, there'll always be fuckers like him trying to ruin it for everybody because they're stuck in their ways and can't deal with a changing world.
>>
>>2929045
>Marko Djurdjevic, Wes Burt, Daniel Chavez and other CA.org icons
spoiler. people in the industry recognize these names, but make more money and dont follow their sketchbook advices.
>>
>>2929045
t. photobashing hack
>>
>>2929045
The real question to you then is do you consider it a negative that they've pushed themselves to that skill level - assuming you even think its "better" than using/relying on reference excessively.

What do you personally aspire to technically?, Do you want to internalize the shapes of the body to a KJG level? Would you like to do these simple yet nuanced characters like Evan Amundsen? Their technical skill only adds to what the can do when they start using other tools, why not push yourself as far as you can? I'm really confused as to what possible downside there is to not approaching self improvement like that.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.