[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>mfw Loomis is dismissed as a meme now What is wrong with

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: download (3).jpg (9KB, 236x214px) Image search: [Google]
download (3).jpg
9KB, 236x214px
>mfw Loomis is dismissed as a meme now
What is wrong with Loomis? Is it just a contrarian meme?
>>
>>2923359
"Loomis is a meme" is a meme.
>>
He rambles like an old man, never getting to the point, he's geared towards to 1950's illustrations market and style, a long gone time. People that take his books like the gospel (and some still do) end up with a shitty loomis-y style.
>>
>>2923363
You say that as someone who already understand figure and portrait drawing (presumably. You probably a fucking scrub)

Loomis + Proko is a top tier track to git gud quickly.
>>
>>2923359
Other resources teach anatomy in a more intuitive manner, he's still good.

He's unique in that he has a well rounded perspective, he understands art on a more holistic level (compared to someone like Hampton). This makes him useful as an intro to illustration in its totality.
>>
>>2923363

He does get to the point, that's why he has plates.
>>
>>2923363
>end up with a shitty loomis-y style
How is it shitty?

>inb4 the only book you're referencing is FWAP
>>
>>2923363
loomis is geared towards making good pictures in general, pretty much 99% of his teachings can be applied today
>>2923374
loomis barely touches anatomy, and he urges you to study it from other sources like bridgman
>>
What is the least memey art textbook? Seems like everyone hates everything
>>
>>2923359
Loomis is great but as always dont get hung up on it read it all do every excercise youre talking about less than 70 hours on fun with a pencil and then around 80 on head and hands, wow youve spent a month drawing from a basic book now move on.

I always get the feeling that you guys dont spend the time to read and use a book properly. Just do a whole book very few are fundamentally wrong and loomis is not one of those
>>
>>2923359
Hampton is better. I don't get why Loomis is so popular around here.
>>
>>2923519
At first I though it was an /ic/ meme but it turns out a lot of artists mention him, even people who teach like Proko and Eaton
>>
>>2923599
Its because studying with loomis doesnt make you wanna kill yourself
>>
>>2923519
loomis is a way better artist and covers a way wider range, hampton is great as an introduction to anatomy though and definitely recommended for beginners.
>>
>>2923519
why not both, they're both recommended here
>>
hampton derives his methods from loomis, but yeah they're both good, study both!
>>
What do you guys think of Jack Hamm?
>>
>>2923466
Have you considered the possibility that /ic/ isn't one person? And that there is an ENORMOUS amount of stupid and bitter people here?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.