[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stop calling drawings you make before you "get serious"

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

File: df3[2].jpg (41KB, 600x590px) Image search: [Google]
df3[2].jpg
41KB, 600x590px
Stop calling drawings you make before you "get serious" warmups.

You aren't lifting weights, shut the fuck up.
>>
>>2922769
Okay senpai kun what should I call them instead?
>>
>>2922769
ok?
>>
>>2922769
nigga u dumb
>>
File: india3_19.jpg (378KB, 1000x535px) Image search: [Google]
india3_19.jpg
378KB, 1000x535px
>>2922769

just a quickie cafe napkin warm up sketch speed painting at lunch time :^)
>>
File: 1458549993554.jpg (114KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1458549993554.jpg
114KB, 2048x2048px
if it's a placebo effect to make my later-in-the-day pieces better, i'm drinking the kool-aid at this point
>>
>>2922769
principally you are doing a partially physical activity, so in a sense you are "lifting weights", even if they're just pencil weight and you're making other motions then you do when lifting weights
>>
>>2922792
No you're not you pretentious twat
>>
>>2922769

Calm down Chad nobody wants to steal your whores
>>
>>2922769

>snap awake at 3am
>fumble across room knocking shit over in the darkness to desk
>flick on shitty light, crash in chair, start scribbling forms on paper
>brain is not awake for thoughts, only images
>forms start getting sharper

flow state nigga do you even activate it
>>
File: HUE.jpg (45KB, 486x409px) Image search: [Google]
HUE.jpg
45KB, 486x409px
>>2922849
k e k
>>
I have a similar thought on people who call their near finished work "doodles". I used to be one of those people, but seeing other people do it made me realize something - they're all ashamed of judgement being passed on their work, they change up the phrasing because it's easier to handle.
Even if it only took 30 minutes for you to render and noodle around, own up to it. Art, science, and language are very closely intertwined - and in all three, we make declarative statements that can be falsified. If we do not, we can never be wrong, and we can never build.
>>
>autism
Im going to call them warmups because thats what they are. Are you going to be okay?
>>
>>2923130

That's not similar at all, are you in the right thread?
>>
I call my sessions sets and my quicksketches reps, whatcha gonna do about it, m8? I have a tub of creatine that I use as hand chalk for a better pencil grip.

Fight me irl, faggot, se what happens.
>>
File: sigh.jpg (14KB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
sigh.jpg
14KB, 360x240px
>>2922769
>fully rendered illustration that took 6 hours to make
"here's a sketch XD"
>>
>>2922769
people use the term "warmup" for all sorts of non-sports activities, you autistic fuck.
>>
>>2922769
That's what they're called, though. Musicians call their day's beginning exercises warm-ups too.
>>
>>2923164
In calling something what it clearly isn't to evade criticism? I'd say it's pretty similar.
>>
Should just make a general bitching thread tb h f am
>>
>>2923130
Why though? If something took 30 minutes, had no initial planning stages or goal, and you don't intend on revisiting or improving it, why call it an illustration and not a sketch? Bells and whistles or parts of it looking good doesn't suddenly make it not a sketch.
>>
File: art.jpg (576KB, 600x3652px) Image search: [Google]
art.jpg
576KB, 600x3652px
>>2922769

Art is War.

Brain is a Muscle.

Bee Yourself is a Buzzword.

> If you close your eyes, you shut down the Right Side of your brain and becomes better at Math
>>
>>2923248
nah it's to impress normies, that's why nobody ever shows reference and all art streamers start off with a finished line drawing
>>
>>2923269
you clearly haven't seen enough different art streamers, some have reference open on their screen and show the process from scratch
the ones you're talking about are probably some trash tier artists that trace a pose from a photo before painting it
>>
>>2923269
>nah it's to impress normies
Maybe if the artist's entire body of work is called a sketch. Never seen that though. Most of the time there is a distinct difference in planning, polish, intent, and overall execution between something that's a sketch and something that isn't.

>that's why nobody ever shows reference
Unless a piece is slavishly copied from an existing source, it's pointless to list off everything used as a reference. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if an artist drew a horse well, that they consulted reference and/or learned what a horse looked like now or sometime in the past.

>all art streamers start off with a finished line drawing
Don't know who you're watching then, but I haven't seen that.
>>
>>2923248
>why call it an illustration and not a sketch?
Because what a lot of people mean by call something a "sketch" or a "doodle", you're saying "I didn't put much effort into this". You're implying that this is not your full effort and that this piece is disposable.
I don't care about your half effort, I want to see your full effort. If you could do that in "30 minutes", I want to see you do more than that.
I'm not necessarily referring to actual sketches when I say this, but the terminological roadblocks that beginners and intermediates place infront of themselves to avoid confronting their limitations is a large proponent of what holds them back.

You're not impressing anyone. If you're trying to impress me with what you did in "30 minutes", I am going to tell your get back to work. There is no such thing as a "doodle" anymore.
>>
>>2922821
Yes you are you stupid faggot. Drawing is a physical SKILL, a large part of it is muscle memory. When you warm up, you are warming up your muscle memory.

Stop fucking your sister for two seconds and read a book.

>>2923694
Are you triggered that someone drew something in 30 minutes that would take you 7 months? I'm sorry it takes you 17 hours to finish a sketch.
>>
>>2923694
I can see your point if someone literally only posts sketches, but that's pretty rare. If you're only referring to beginners then you should have stayed that clearly from the getgo.

In situations where people showing their art actually matters (i.e. they're not a beginner) then the distinction between sketch and illustration is important, especially for the viewer who might provide critique, or a prospective client. A sketch says that the artist invested only a fraction of the work and planning time (if any) towards a piece, and that it isn't representative of their full skill set
>>
>>2922769
Lol you dumb fuck, fingers have muscles in it.
Good thing we had /fitlit/
>>
>>2923694

There's no wrong way to do art. Like speech or writing, you can do it briefly, enormously, informal, or formal. If you're unironically offended by the limited amount of time that they spent into doing a piece, then that's your problem. Not anyone else.
>>
>>2922769
You're right bro. I hate that.

I'll comment more l8tr but I've been grinding all evening and now ima do a cool-down sketch...
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.