[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

erasing ruinins my drawing. How the fuck do people correct charcoal

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: 1490044926801.jpg (90KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1490044926801.jpg
90KB, 640x480px
erasing ruinins my drawing.
How the fuck do people correct charcoal drawings?
using kneaded eraser btw on heavy paper.
>>
I don't personally use charcoal all that much but I think you're supposed to use those malleable grey erasers
>>
>>2922506

Literally me

I want to get better at traditional mediums too, but it's so fucking hard to clear up residue if you go full potato and press to hard
>>
>>2922506
Some kneaded erasers are terrible so maybe try buying a different brand, also vine charcoal is generally much softer than even the softest compressed charcoal so try that
>>
>>2922516
I do use vine charcoal but sometimes it has those hard pieces in it that makes it fucking impossible to erase.
Im drawing a [portrait atm and while erasing helps making it a bit more accurate it doesnt make the drawing itself better.
>>
dont draw so hard
use vinyl eraser for harder to erase things that kneaded wont get rid of
>>
>>2922520
you're pushing way too hard, when you need to go dark keep a light touch and use a sharper point
>>
File: 1445757054064.jpg (220KB, 1032x1400px) Image search: [Google]
1445757054064.jpg
220KB, 1032x1400px
>using eraser at all
>not realizing it holds you back as an artist
>not just using a pen and starting over completely if you make a noticeable mistake

mastery is repetition, so repeat
>>
File: 1490819106-996.png (34KB, 612x491px) Image search: [Google]
1490819106-996.png
34KB, 612x491px
>>2922678
hmm yeah i know
in my mind i already failed when i have to use an erser
>>
>>2922678

I started 2 days ago and I only use micron pens and some markers. Stuff looks like horseshit, but I have fun draw-actually copying stuff.
>>
>>2922506
This is why you draw digitally.
>>
>>2922678
how are you supposed to do that if you're making loomis heads that require a lot of construction lines
>>
>>2922506
kneaded erasers are really good at lightening the charcoal, and spreading it. If you want to clean up the lines more completely, vinyl erasers, like Pink Pearls or whatever will work better. It'll be difficult to get rid of ALL the charcoal dust, though.
>>
>>2924858
Ballpoint pen (or any pen that can vary lineweight) and draw lightly.
Use transparent paper and make an overlay.
Make construction lines with blue/red ink and final lines in black ink. Optionally Photoshop these out.
>>
>>2922506
Vine charcoal on smooth newsprint.
If you want to use 'heavy paper', sketch with vine charcoal or a blending stump and finish with compressed charcoal.
>>
>>2924914
how are those better than using erasers? you're still "cheating"
>>
>>2924929
He is just memeing
>>
>>2924929
You asked how to draw with ink and still use lots of construction lines and I gave you several answers. If you're asking why use ink over graphite there are also several answers:
Ink doesn't smudge like graphite, which matters if you like carrying around a ring-bound sketchbook.
Ink is permanent and forces you to make choices and get things close enough the first time.
You can't erase ink, and not even having to think about that keeps your drawing process moving forward.
I prefer pens. You can use graphite if you want, I don't give a fuck.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.