[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

From the Level Up! group on facebook: "Hi guysssssssssssss.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: beforeandafter.jpg (189KB, 1476x936px) Image search: [Google]
beforeandafter.jpg
189KB, 1476x936px
From the Level Up! group on facebook:

"Hi guysssssssssssss.
This is my progress in 2 years . Im such a slowpoke ( ^ o ^ )/"

Why does this happen and how can we prevent to have a negative progression like this guy?
>>
>>2922050
what a waste of 2 years
>>
>>2922050

I like the one on the right better. More dynamic pose, better face and expression, generally there's more meat to it.
>>
If you seriously believe this is negative progression and you're not just trolling, you need to take a good, long look at yourself and figure out where it all went wrong.
>>
Have a clearly defined idea of where you're going, why you want to go there, and what "there" looks like. Even better if you write it down/have some example images stored away so you don't lose grasp (I wish I'd kept a record of the art I admired when I started).

If you're just waffling about trying to "git gud" whatever that means, you're going to flounder when you hit a certain point and haven't figured out what sort of aesthetic you want. Don't fall for the stupid /ic/ meme that progress is meant to be a steady upwards trajectory achieved solely by grinding fundies, at a certain point you're going to either have to start drawing hyper-realism or stylizing in some way, and stylization means subjective decisions that not everyone will like.

If you want to draw card art that's going to be a different outcome to if you want to paint like Sargent, or if you want to draw anime dickgirls. You'll find artists who are excellent at one and mediocre at the other two.
>>
>>2922061
Composition, values and rendering is worse.
The pose is rigid and boring.
Illusion of depth and a clear focal point is lost.

If it was two guys and we'd be guessing which one will be further 5 years from now, my money would be on the left one.
If you don't believe me, zoom out or squint until you stop focusing on mindless details and see the picture as a whole.
>>
>>2922050
You swapped the dates on those, didn't you
>>
definitely slow progress but both pictures are good quality, not much of a difference, try switching styles completely, do different things more often, dont just switch the subject of ur pieces switch the way they are made
>>
>>2922061
More like you need to. In the second one it's
>shit lighting
>too many dark values
>wings got shitty
>face got shitty
>muh gold reflections make it look like plastic
>hair got worse

I don't even know what the main focal point is in the second piece, you bounce around from all the shitty gold to the sword to the retarded looking face, at least in the first one your eyes gravitate towards the face.
>>
>>2922050
>mop wings
>2nd picture they just get fucking worse

Why the fuck can't even professional artists ever bother to learn proper wing anatomy/at least feathering for fuck's sake?

Also that poor soul. 2 years down the drain.
>>
File: Screenshot_1.png (713KB, 991x631px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.png
713KB, 991x631px
alright you retards, let's pretend this is what the Level Up artist posted. Would you not think this is an improvement?
>>
>>2922253
No
>>
>>2922253
Ye, definitely

Better rendering, understanding of value, more dynamic pose and composition

Its still juvenile kitschy trash though
>>
>>2922149

Afraid not.
I double checked with his artstation that it wasn't a labeling mistake, it isn't

2015:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/5v1wg

2017:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/4e8z8
>>
>>2922449
Well fuck me and call me Sam.

It's not like the first one doesn't show problems that the second one still has, but goddamn they fucked up in the second one.
>>
>>2922463
Hey Sam. You fuck. Why do you never call back?

It seems the artist believes more details =better. But he just got unfocused. And now everything is all over the place and stiff and weird...

So how do we prevent this from happening to us?

C'mon Sam - use your bloody brain for once in your life!!
>>
>>2922253
yup. they would have stopped using BLACK TO SHADE in this scenario
>>
>>2922474
>So how do we prevent this from happening to us?
You literally answered it
>the artist believes more details =better. But he just got unfocused. And now everything is all over the place and stiff and weird...

Pay attention to the whole. Don't noodle away at details ignoring the bigger picture. Notice when detail helps or detracts from the piece. If you zoom out and the details changed what the image thumbnail looked like, then you probably broke your big shapes.
>>
>>2922050
they're both impressive, not really my taste from a style perspective, but I like the left one better.
>>
>>2922308
>Its still juvenile kitschy trash though
That's just a phrase you toss around for everything you don't like.

>angels
>juvenile and kitschy
Yeah,sure, totally. The Renaissance was such a low point in taste for art.Too many angels painted and all.
>>
everything on the right looks better but the face is a little off
>>
>>2922050
both are polished turds with weak structure
>>
>>2922498
>half naked sex appeal angels
>plastic crown
>dual wield swords
so classy just like the renaissance
>>
File: 1380697092809.jpg (42KB, 479x720px) Image search: [Google]
1380697092809.jpg
42KB, 479x720px
>>2922547
>classy
>>
>>2922050
Sadly enough knowing /ic/ both of these are probably better than anything 70% of anons around here can draw.
>>
>>2922474
>Hey Sam. You fuck. Why do you never call back?
You know what you did

>It seems the artist believes more details =better. But he just got unfocused. And now everything is all over the place and stiff and weird...
It's not just that, the handling of light and shading is way different. The 2015 one shows light coming through the wings, but the 2017 has none of that translucent quality, not even around the edges or in the cloth. Which, by the way, look exactly the same as the metal pauldrons, which really should look like a more distinctly different material(I missed them for a while). That and it looks like 2017 was just shaded with black for pretty much everything, which makes things look a lot worse.

>So how do we prevent this from happening to us?
Go out of your way to practice certain techniques and continually go over your knowledge base.

>C'mon Sam - use your bloody brain for once in your life!!
But that's not why people fuck me!
>>
>>2922746
>But that's not why people fuck me!

No Sam... I... I fuck you cause... I love you... ... and I would appreciate you not getting fucked by all those ppl.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.