[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Be me >Dream Goal of becoming a comic book artist >Trained

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

>Be me
>Dream Goal of becoming a comic book artist
>Trained hard every day for 2 years. Studied fundies and all that crap
>Do first comic, looks like complete shit.
>Also don't enjoy doing it, I'm not sure if it's because i'm struggling with it or because i'm legitimately not interested in making comics
>Feedbadman
>>
Post comic
>>
>>2921585
Ya burned out.
I'm just now getting back into the swing of things after 1+ year of just studying studying studying and not being able to draw for fun.
Dont worry, just watch drawing videos or pick up a book or an instrument to recover after a while.
>>
>>2921585
Doing comics is another skill you should be developing in tandem with the fundies. You don't "master" art first then do a comic. You learn the basics and fail a lot, and make comics and fail a lot, both at the same time. Eventually your skills in both will be okay.
>>
>>2921585
Heard it before. Go and sketch some trees.
Two years, you've the rest of your life (we hope) so you've still got the skill but maybe something else is out there for you?
>>
>>2921585
Comics are not worth the effort.

Webcomics for sure are pointless.The novelty is gone so now they only survive a marketing tool for bloggers who want to get noticed.

If you want to make any money off your idea you'll have to compete with the most soulless clickbait SJW shit that may also be competently drawn by some long time deviantart celeb

The community is extremely tight knit and has retarded millennial values and a taste for cancer neon colors.

Published comics make a bit more sense but even then it's a crapton of work for pennies, it will look like shit because why the heck would you draw a comic if you're a competent artist who can make money off actual artwork, and unless you're making something that retarded millennials will feel good about buying you have very little chance of even getting noticed

Putting months if not years of hard work on a project that people won't even take a look at is really stupid especially since you'll be spending time developing story, layouts,writing, dialogue, lettering when you could've just practiced rendering and maybe landed an actual art job.

my 2 cents
>>
>>2921942
Dude, I don't give a shit about money. I do comics because I love story telling. And it's very easy to build a following on sites like tapastic and linewebtoons. If I can develop an audience that enjoys my story then my job is done.
>>
Did you forget to study storytelling?
>>
>>2921942
There's a reason why those comics aren't doing well, and it's not the fact that they're webcomics. DC tried appealing to SJWs, their sales dropped and they decided to go back to their old ways. Marvel tried appealing to SJWs, their sales draped and they decided to remove politics from their comics. The way to become successful in any area is to NOT appeal to SJWs, people fucking hate them. In todays climate if they try to pressure you into being like them. and you tell them to fuck off, you will get MORE attention. You have to write a quilty story though, if theirs no substance to your work, nobodys gonna care. Thats why SJWs are unsuccessful, they use their politics and in groups to get attention, but their work is fucking awful and superficial. Look at what a fucking joke Mass Effect is.
>>
>>2921951
I write stories down all the time but I never made it into a comic due to lack of drawing skill. Though, I do feel that story telling does come natural to me. I was a writer before I became an artist and people though my stories were interesting. At any rate, I'm gonna continue making more comics and hopefully make progress.

I was actually planning on doing rendering and coloring this year but you can't be a master of all trades so I'll probably forego the painterly skills and just focus 100% on drawing and making comics.

I'm sure i'll probably get a lot of backlash from /ic/ for never making finished stuff but oh well.
>>
>>2921958
Write your whole story down and plan it out. Edit and rewrite it, polish it up. If you can get really good writing and meh art, you can succeed. Just look at ONE.

>>2921948
I've heard it's much easier to gain a following on Lin Webtoon. The app is more popular with 10mil+ downloads vs Tapas 100k on android. If also heard it's easier to get noticed because they put your comic at the top of the genre page when you post it.
Plus I get an SJW/ tumblr vibe from tapastic, and i've seen thred there complaining about LINE, saying the readers are rude and too demanding. Typical holier than thou, hate your readers SJW bullshit.
>>
>>2921585
Noto Gonna Make It
>>
>>2921942
>and a taste for cancer neon colors
This is what annoys me the most. The more eye-burning colors the better, apparently.
>>
>>2921975
Wow line is that much more popular? I'll probably post my comic on both then! Thanks for the info
>>
File: 1406628244683.jpg (63KB, 948x712px) Image search: [Google]
1406628244683.jpg
63KB, 948x712px
Read The Noble Aproach by Maurice Noble, its about production design for animation but it applies to comics too.
Planning your scenography, props and similar stuff really makes your comic more vivid
>>
>>2921585

I have a hard time understanding you, OP.

If you were interested in making comics, why are you doing your first comic in 2 years.
Assuming it's because you don't have much time, why not at least make storyboards, no matter how simplistic, here and there.
>>
>>2921958
No, focus on thumbnails and composition, and remember that speech bubbles are also part of the composition.
>>
File: 1418796495632.jpg (333KB, 1280x933px) Image search: [Google]
1418796495632.jpg
333KB, 1280x933px
>>2922390
Pic related is good balloon composing versus bad balloon composing
>>
Yo OP I've been drawing comics for 6-7 years now.

Most things people around here said are right: It's hard, sucks as a job, webcomic market is over saturated.

It's still fun as a hobby and honestly though I only have around 300 readers I just like to read my own stories and look back at what I achieved... just for myself.

Maybe you just need a break and need to relax a bit. Do you have stories to tell? Write them down and make a concept and all.

But burning out over comics is really easy. Many phases aren't even artistical they're just stupid like the final outlines or the flatening... god... damn... colour... flatening.
>>
>>2922155
This book is amazing helped me so much to create better comics it's insane.
>>
>>2922577
Holding a finished, inked & lettered page in your hands is an incredible sensation, but it's so much fucking work. And when people are just not interested in the project you're making it's absolutely soul crushing.
>>
File: Untitled.png (43KB, 1317x409px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
43KB, 1317x409px
>>2921958
>but I never made it into a comic due to lack of drawing skill.
Anon, you dont wait till you have skill to make what you want to make.

Make what you want to make now, and when it comes out bad or wrong, learn how to make it right, then remake it when youve gained the necessary skill, and it will be good, or at the least, fundamentally sound.

Pic related. Step One is important
>>
comic is harrrd

party hard
>>
<Same one here
Feels like never gona do this, and all mine looks like shit for me
So fuckin feelsbadman, i must,but i cant( but u know, somethin small from inside telin me keep up.Thats small helpin me dont give up.
Just little hug u op, aaand also good health food and sleep and right chilin music helps me alot
>>
>>2922155
Download pls?
>>
>>2921585
oh come on, post it.
>>
share your shitty comics pls
>>
If you want to be a comic artist you should have spent more time studying the fundies of comics, not just art. It's like if you want to be a novelist, you don't just spend years practicing grammar and sentence structures, if you want to make a good novel you have to write novels.

I draw a shitty webcomic, and before I started I kept putting it off because I wanted my art to be better, until one day I said, "fuck it" and just started drawing it. The comic was/is pretty bad, but you know what improved my work the most? Drawing goddamn comics.

Power through, anon. Drawing comics is long, and tedious, but rewarding. The feeling of reading a comic chapter you wrote and drew all by yourself is great, even if you know it's shit, because you know you did it yourself.
Toughen up.
>>
>>2924709
cgpeers nigga
>>
Two years is a good start, but it's not a huge amount, you're just getting into the intermediate years

Also
>I did my very first ever [x], how could I possibly be bad at it and not enjoy it even though I have no experience doing it and I haven't been training nearly long enough to expect myself to perfectly execute with ease something I've never done, oh why cruel world
>>
>casually watching comic making blog videos as 'I draw
>get to this @3:34
https://youtu.be/RIxF06_ypHg?t=214

This got to me, I'm not even near that age but it would be really sad to have lost a lot of time creating stuff because you thought you were not "ready yet" when the best way to learn is to learn "as you make"
>>
>>2921585
2 years is not that long if you want to be a comic artist.
>>
>>2922565
Holy crap that second one is a mess.
>>
>>2924861
Is it even possible to make a full graphic novel a year? (Assuming you have a normal job and are doing this on the side)
>>
>>2927277
Probably not if you aren't used to it. A full graphic novel is well in the hundred pages and pros have to pull that off in a few months.

There's a lot of planning and that'll take time if you don't even include the actual drawing part of it.
>>
>>2921585

Imagine alternate timeline:

>wanna do comics
>think of story and what it takes to make your own strip
>do first cancer Naruto comic
>oh dog, I don't like doing it
>drawing is fun though, what if I'd draw anime butts instead
>oh shit, that's cool even though that butt looks like ass
>I'll do illustration from now on!

If only you listened. If only you weren't swayed by "I must do charcoal drawings for 2 years before I X". If only you followed your instinct from the start.
>>
>>2927292
But most illustrators could easily do comics.
>>
>>2927293

But they don't and there's a clear reason why not - they don't enjoy it and it would suck for them to make it for a living.
>>
fucking post your work you people. this is artwork and CRITIQUE board. not bitch and make shit up board.
>>
File: 10_1000.jpg (265KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
10_1000.jpg
265KB, 1000x1000px
>>2930334
Okay and now?

I'm >>2922577 btw...
>>
>>2930334
>this is artwork and CRITIQUE board
I wish it was.
>>
File: Untitled.png (2MB, 953x1348px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
2MB, 953x1348px
>>2930334
some WIP stuff I guess
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.