[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What tools do manga artist use to color? I'm not too fond

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1483572465304.jpg (298KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1483572465304.jpg
298KB, 768x1024px
What tools do manga artist use to color? I'm not too fond of using color pencils so I was wondering if there is some other (non digital) alternative.
>>
>>2919766
Gouache and markers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU52RU1jSMQ
>>
>>2919771
I need more pro Jap artists time laps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnldWTJ3ZFE
>>
>>2919766
mar...kers...?
>>
>>2919771

that's really inspiring. thanks
>>
yeah copics or other markers. i really love copics though., you could try the watercolor pencils as well. or regular watercolor . lots of people like gouache but i have never used it yet.
can someone explain the difference between gouache and watercolor? i hear they are similar or something like that. and which do you prefer?
>>
>>2919766
Copics. They're like $240 for a full set. But that's what they use in most of the full color cover art illustrations, if you want that manga look, you're gonna have to shell out for them.
>>
>>2919836
Can't you mimic the copic look by scanning your line work and then coloring digitally?
>>
>>2919844
Kind of, copics are basically watercolor markers so if you can replicate watercolor in digital you can replicate copics
>>
>>2919824
Gouache and watercolor are essentially the same but goauche is more opaque. I think there might be one more additive but in practice that is the only difference.
I prefer watercolors because they are considered more of a standalone medium also I like the transparency. Many artists use goauche for highlights or filler when doing underdrawings. Alternatively you could use gouache for painting but it doesn't let other colors shine under it like watercolor so its less interesting.
See Degas.
>>
>>2919771
don't forget whiteout
>>
>>2919766
Depends on the artist. I have a book that had interviews of a variety of artists and list of tools they used, and watercolors were by far the majority for color. If you're really curious I can drag it out and give you some specifics.
>>2919771
For what's it's worth, gouache was widely used for background painting before digital took over.
>>2919855
Not really. Copics are ink based, it would be more like used colored inks than watercolors. They're similar enough that you could use one or the other and get the same effect for a lot of things, but not everything.
>>2919859
I wouldn't call gouache less interesting, it just ends up being very matte compared to most other painting mediums.
>>2919868
White gouache is used for white a lot. Typical department store whiteout is total garbage and no one should ever use it for art.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.