[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How viable is it nowadays to turn illustration (and maybe concept

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: skilllevel.jpg (164KB, 1580x1062px) Image search: [Google]
skilllevel.jpg
164KB, 1580x1062px
How viable is it nowadays to turn illustration (and maybe concept art) into a freelance career? Or is there any place where such things can be seriously discussed? I know /ic/ tends to view things pretty bleakly but I really need a realistic and educated answer on this, I'm at a crossroads in life and really need insight.

Pic related - my skill level.
>>
>>2919743
We live in the greatest era for art ever.
>>
>>2919743
If you are actually able to paint at that level then you should be able to make some money off art. I'm guessing you're not Derek since I remember he has been around a while and working, and I doubt he would come here to ask such a basic question. You might not make enough to live off of, but at least some small and mid level freelance for sure. If you get lucky and get some regular clients you can live off it probably.
>>
>>2919779
>You might not make enough to live off of, but at least some small and mid level freelance for sure.

How much money per year would that roughly be, in your opinion?
>>
>>2919787
It really really depends. How fast are you? How good at marketing are you? How many contacts do you have? Are your clients giving you regular work? Are you getting assigned large numbers of pieces at a time?

Could be anywhere from a few hundred to like 20k a year probably. If you are just doing small assignments though getting to that 20k mark will be a shit ton of work.
>>
>>2919743
It is pretty viable, but you gotta get the audience first or some way to get noticed before it will start working for you. And there isn't one true route to go about it, it all depends where you start and what are you willing/able to do to attract the attention, beside of just drawing good.

I make about 12 - 15k a year, USD, living in way cheaper country than US and it covers up my living expenses very tightly, just recently my partner had to get a job, because we want to save up some money before we hit 30s and with current income it's difficult. I know I'm way too slow with my art now but in the same time I am actively trying to work on improving enough to attract richer/more serious audience + make the process faster. I started freelancing like 4 years ago and by now I got a handful of regular customers for book covers and promotional materials like banners or posters or kickstarter campaigns, with additional personal commissions in between, so you can say I found my niche, but I'm also afraid of getting stuck in this position so I'm constantly looking for new ways to improve this whole thing
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.