[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone know any good tutorials for watercolour? I'm just

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

Anyone know any good tutorials for watercolour? I'm just starting out but I'm pretty lost. (pic is not mine)
>>
If you speak spanish Parramon's book on atercolors helped me a lot
>>
File: tmh_booklet_teaser.jpg (186KB, 600x415px) Image search: [Google]
tmh_booklet_teaser.jpg
186KB, 600x415px
>>2916981
There are some good blogs that deal with watercolors:
>https://citizensketcher.com/
>http://johnmuirlaws.com/blog
>http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/

There's a lot of bad watercolor painters out there. I would stay away from random youtube tutorials, unless if it's by the people in the blogs I mentioned.
>>
>>2917985
>>https://citizensketcher.com/
>>http://johnmuirlaws.com/blog
>>http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/
I thought u said good blogs
>>
any good watercolour tutorial specifically focused on architecture?
>>
>>2918053
Don't talk shit about daddy Gurney.
>>
>>2918903
>meme artist
>good
Come on now son, i know you like dinosaurs, but there are better artists out there.
>>
>>2919025
Jesus christ this board.

No shit?! But his blog is great, lots of good info, tips, and references. And his book is the best there is about color.
>>
>>2916981
Buy some watercolor board. Shit is mind blowing awesome.

Side note... who the fuck am I even talking to? What's the point of me posting on a fake fucking board and internet. Seriously, fuck this.
>>
>>2916981
I started out recently too.
Bough some cheap paint, a decent brush and good paper and just made colour wheels and charts.
Maybe check out Peter Sheeler or Mind of Watercolor on youtube.
>>
>>2919025
kys yourself desu senpai
>>
>>2919027
>And his book is the best there is about color.
Hahahahahahahahaha
>>
>>2919027
>And his book is the best there is about color.

Not even close.
>>
>>2919025
you piece of shit
>>
>>2919161
>>2919196
samefag
>>
>>2919240

Wrong, try again, fanboy.

regards, >>2919196
>>
File: gear_watercolor.jpg (616KB, 1200x906px) Image search: [Google]
gear_watercolor.jpg
616KB, 1200x906px
>>2918053
They are blogs with good INFO about watercolors, you dumbass
If you only want pretty pictures to gawk at, go somewhere else
>>
>>2916981
I don't feel like I can tell you what's a good path to take, but I can tell you for sure that watercolor is the choice medium of old ladies who have no idea how to spend their time, which also makes it the choice medium for fraudolent instructional peddlers so try not to spend any money.

Even the stuff that is pushed as good material is 70% shit, as it attempts to give you as little information as possible so you'll keep buying more tutorials. They will try to sell you anything: magic brushes, magic paints, magic techniques, magic books, magic videos.

The useful things I know for sure are Handprint - the parts on pigments and how they work. It's outdated but it doesn't matter. What you need to learn is what pigments you're looking for and how they interact with water. Say if you want to use watercolor over india ink you should avoid opaque pigments (like cadmiums) and go for transparent alternatives, since those will not cover up the ink lines.

Bad thing about watercolors is that you need to buy good materials. Brushes aren't very important, synthetics are great these days (ignore the incoming protests), but really good paper (and heavy one at that, if you paint wet) is paramount and artist grade paints make a huge difference too. So you're gonna have to spend money and waste a lot of money as well as you'll have to learn how the medium works by trial and error.

There's no way out, it's gotta be watercolor paper. If you work on paper that isn't sized properly you will miss out on the potential of the medium so don't try to use watercolor on cheaper stuff like bristol board (while you're learning, that is) because it will spoil your understanding of the medium.

One thing that I always keep in mind that has helped me so far is that this is a very physics-based medium, you're moving water around. Your brush and your paper will have the tendency to balance the water content available, so if you put a dry brush on a wet canvas it will suck up the water etc
>>
>>2919027
Not that anon but are you intermediate at least? Color and Light is mostly large pictures with no meaningful info attached, Gurney is fun and entertaining but his instructionals are really fucking fluffy, and while I constantly pick up other books for reference and help my copy of Color and Light is almost untouched because it's got nothing worth looking up in it.
>>
>>2919679
>watercolor is the choice medium of old ladies who have no idea how to spend their time

Shit man, I started watercolor recently and thought it was pretty cool, I didn't know people looked at it like this.
Is there any hope at all? Should I avoid drawing plants and flowers maybe and stick to more serious stuff to avoid the old-lady stigma?
Well, actually it doesn't matter that much, I never show my work to anyone, anyway.
>>
>>2920292
I think the old lady stigma comes from the fact that most watercolor tutorials/how to books are made by old people with loads of time on their hands. What attracted me to watercolor as a medium was artists I looked up to using it in animation, sketchbooks, plein air, architecture, etc.

Don't dismiss watercolor because of the stigma (which I've never really considered until just now) It's just a medium, and there's so much more you can paint than just flowers and landscapes. But if that's what you want to paint, just go for it.
>>
>>2920292
There's no stigma attached to watercolor. It's just that there are so many shitty tutorials that will waste your money or even damage you

It's really easy to make a brush stroke in watercolor and notice that wow, it looks like sea oats! so there will be people trying to sell you that as a legitimate method instead of teaching about edges, temperature etc.

I haven't found a single book or video about watercolor that actually taught anything meaningful about the medium (that you wouldn't discover upon 1 hour of tampering with it)
>>
>>2920317
holy shit it's so true about the watercolor books. they're all the same and say absolutely nothing.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.