[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>/ic/ says loomis is shit >/ic/ says right side of the

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: 1489892215674.png (1MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1489892215674.png
1MB, 1080x1920px
>/ic/ says loomis is shit
>/ic/ says right side of the brain is shit
>/ic/ says drawabox is shit
>/ic/ says sykra is shit
>/ic/ says proko is shit

From where the fuck do I start learning then?
>>
Life.
>>
>>2916029
You start from those, then grow to understand how shit they all are.
>>
The only significant learning you do on /ic/ is learning not to listen to what any shitter says

now go do drawabox
>>
>>2916029
The majority of /ic/ doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about, you must be new around here if you didn't already know that.
>>
>>2916029
your 1st step is to stop listening to shit posts and get fucking drawing.

[spoiler]that being said keys to drawing >>>>>>right side of the brain [/spoiler]
>>
>implying OP isn't a procrastinating retard who is only here to make dumb meme posts and never actually do any drawing/painting
>>
>>2916029
how about start using your brain. lets begin there.
>>
File: 1449820674797.png (456KB, 804x876px) Image search: [Google]
1449820674797.png
456KB, 804x876px
>taking everything /ic/ says as gospel instead of forming opinions on your own

either this is a bait thread or i fear for ur well-being
>>
>>2916029
Sinix
>>
>>2916029
You forgot to add /ic/ to your list.

Don't listen to /ic/. There is just no way to discern what is useful and what is shit. This is just a place for autists to shit post. There is no value to trying to learn from here. Even the sticky will not help you.

There are so many other better places to learn from online, seriously. If you really want to learn, you have to find your own way. Check out your list for yourself and figure out if what /ic/ says is actually true.
>>
>>2916057
> keys to drawing >>>>>>right side of the brain
Third part of it requires drawing people posing in front of you. How someone from 4chan is supposed to find people willing to pose for them?
>>
>>2916029
>IC
>IS NOT
>ONE PERSON

Also they're a lot of stupid people here so take any advice with a grain of salt
>>
File: anatomy_wip.jpg (94KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
anatomy_wip.jpg
94KB, 800x600px
>>2916128
Use photo reference, and you can sometimes use a mirror.

Loomis is a meme, not shit. Fun with a Pencil is truly shit, don't start with that.

Right Side of the Brain is definitely shit compared to Keys to Drawing, start with the latter.

Consensus on Drawabox is that it's fine besides the anatomy lessons. The first two lessons are good, definitely worth starting with.

Sycra has no style, he has no grace. He's mentally ill, but he's not actually a bad artist.

Proko is shit when it comes to drawing from imagination.
>>
>>2916029
You start with Vilppu, there's really no arguing this.
>>
>>2916029

Out of all of these only most hated "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" is of any use for the beginners. It has workbook with 40 solid exercises, in this alone it's better than the rest.

For the same reason and prefered to Betty book, "Keys to Drawing" by Dodson is excellent. It has 8 projects, one at the end of each chapter and throughout is also filled with exercise, AFAIK it has around 32 in total. One of the first things on like second proper page is to grab a pen and draw your shoe.

Loomis are reference books with way too much needless text (or too little in "Fun with Pencil") and occasional fallacies (light doesn't work in a way it is shown on a sphere in "Figure Drawing For All It's Worth"). They are historically important as really putting together knowledge about constructive drawing.

Drawabox are exercises and you can't wrong with those, at least in first or two chapters. I don't see much point though in drawing 250 unordered random boxes.

Sycra is shit because he didn't grow much as an artist for all the time he is supposed to be drawing. Moreover, in recent videos he admitted to being fucking insane, in mental asylum, with lots of issues etc. Trust me, you don't want to learn from such person.

Proko teaches what he learned in Watts atelier and also stuff from Loomis. It's all solid knowledge and put in better way than in Loomis books, although it's incomplete. He also isn't really artist by himself, he only passes what he learned. There's still a lot ahead of him, I kinda think that it would be super cool if he did his course of he was 30 years older.

Ultimately IMO start with those 2 books that I mentioned, then go atelier for half a year and then on your own.

One more thing - always think hard. Also be very critical/analytical and get knowledge from multiple sources.

Generally - if you reach medium level you want to only learn from best, not from shit artists and analyze good paintings on your own.
>>
I think Sinix is good if you want to get that concept art style vibe.
>>
>>2916181

About good artists and teachers:

Vilppu is good teacher, but he doesn't exist as an artist and him doing original "My Little Pony" is hardly an achievement. There's a lot to learn from him though, if only because he is fucking ancient and did it for a long, long time.

Gurney is nice artist, but can't teach or write books for shit. Better analyze his paintings on your own.

Steve Houston is a rare example of good teacher and decent artist who actually has his own stuff - and that is good, at least to a degree. Watch interview with him on Proko channel, he talks about good stuff and teaches this artistic approach that even seems that Proko himself didn't realize.

Proko is a copycat of Watts btw and doesn't have original stuff. He is competent in what he did in atelier, but outside it he falls short. His imaginative work is non-existent.

Good YouTube channel - sinixdesign. Why? Because you can observe his clear progress from shit artist to a decent/nice one. He also understands design and what it means to be analytic about your own work.

Also observation - he doesn't do construction for humans he draws, the famed Loomis. Argues that it makes figures stiff and lifeless and I agree. (anyway, Loomis was commercial artist, but if you google "Golden Age of American Pinup" you won't necessarily see his paintings as representative)

So in my opinion:

1. Think hard what you want to do. Choose medium you'd like eventually to get into and artists that inspire you. Please strive for best. It's way better to get inspiration from BeksiƄski than his copycat.

2. Draw from life and copy (yes, copy, not trace, but copy) stuff that interests you. Arrange simple stuff into still lives, even glass of water on your desk is ok.

3. Supplement it with books. Again, the ones that have exercises are:
- "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain"
- "Keys to Drawing" by Dodson
- "Color: A Workshop for Artist" by Hornung

4. Do your own imaginative work.
>>
>>2916029
sycra, proko, and right side is indeed shit
loomis and drawabox are acceptable
>>
>>2916193

One more thing:

Art is mainly problem solving and thinking hard, but being in good health and with proper hand-eye coordination is kinda crucial and big deal.

If you can better it through exercise - do it. It really is helpful. My colleague who paints Warhammer/Warmachina/plastic garbage figurines for other people boasted to me that he has steady hands and can get thread through the ear of a needle in second try now.

Ever heard about such exercise or measure? I haven't in any book - but it's a valid thing. Having control over your hands and strokes is extremely important, learn it at the beginning. Learn how to draw from shoulder and elbow as one of the first things.
>>
1. Perspective + basic matte rendering > Scott Robertson

2. Anatomy > Michael Hampton + a realistic anatomy book to fix his wonky proportions. Proko is fine as a supplement.

3. Composition > Framed Ink + millions of little rules and tricks, a lot of bullshit floating about made by autists who overthink everything, just experiment and find out what feels nice, save and observe pictures than feel "right".

4. Color > I learnt more from a 2 hour gnomon video way back when than Gurneys book.

5. Design > Never found a good resource for this, just observe.

6. Texture and edges > mess with the brush editor, experiment.

The more creativity a topic requires the worse the level of teaching, you have to figure that stuff out. Be wary of artists who like to talk more than they work. You need some taste to self teach, consume good media to develop taste, anime has cool elements but is too inbred and autistic to be relied upon.
>>
>>2916029
drawabox = ISIS
>>
File: gitgud.png (2MB, 720x2127px) Image search: [Google]
gitgud.png
2MB, 720x2127px
use this
>>
>>2916262

Meme list made by someone that never read those books because they don't contain any exercises and especially the memiest of memiest books "Color and Light" by Gurney.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.