[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'd like to get just good enough to draw black & white

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: storyboard-template-bigshot.jpg (119KB, 1080x810px) Image search: [Google]
storyboard-template-bigshot.jpg
119KB, 1080x810px
I'd like to get just good enough to draw black & white storyboards. No color and not much shading. If I have no drawing experience & I practice 4hrs a day could I reach competency within 2yrs?

I know 4hrs isn't a lot but I simply can't do much more(maybe 5hrs). I really like screenwriting & comic writing but don't totally love art... however I love cartoons. So storyboarding feels like the only type of art I really want to do because it's like comics that tell a story & follow a screenplay.

But if I can only give 4hrs a day to drawing is this enough to see progress over 2yrs? I know this is a shit question that gets asked a lot but I'm just looking for approximations
>>
File: movie-motel-scene01.jpg (65KB, 600x363px) Image search: [Google]
movie-motel-scene01.jpg
65KB, 600x363px
Example here from the Beavis & Butthead movie. This is pretty close to the level of detail I'd like to be able to do
>>
>>2912463
The hard part about doing storyboards is not the drawing, but the storytelling, composition, and how it flows from one to another. It's definitely doable. I would focus on learning a lot of perspective and stuff about lenses and cinematography. Being able to draw at least simplified humans and facial expressions is good too.
>>
>>2912463
It will take you 3 years and 129 days if you draw 4 hours every day.

/s
>>
>>2912470
Basically what this guy said. Correct looking art isn't super important for storyboards.
The storyboard for NGE e.g. featured only stick figures and blobs to indicate where characters were in a scene and that's it.
>>
>>2912465
You can develop a lot in 2 years, certainly to this level. Don't use middling/bad work as your benchmark see where the high water mark is now as far as execution, aim high.
>>
>>2912463
>If I have no drawing experience & I practice 4hrs a day could I reach competency within 2yrs

Depends how you define competency.

With perfect practice, yes you can git gud doing 4 hours a day for 2 years.
Copy a lot of storyboards, watch movies and sketch out the cuts in them. Study classical paintings for composition and comics/cartoons for posing. Do that for 2 years and you'll be great at storyboarding, but probably not much else.

But I personally would recommend against focusing on your daily hours, because then you're treating it like a hobby, which it is not supposed to be.

What I mean is that whatever you want your "thing" to be, you should be "just doing it". whenever you can. The only hours you should be counting in a day are the hours you allow yourself time off from "the thing". (for example allowing yourself 1 hour of videogames per day or something)
>>
File: valentines-day-002.jpg (132KB, 950x555px) Image search: [Google]
valentines-day-002.jpg
132KB, 950x555px
>>2912481
Thank you this is my goal. I look at completed boards as inspiration, not the roughs, so I'm always looking for the cleaned-up versions to study and aspire towards.

>>2912470
>>2912476
I have been doing Erik Olson's course and it seems like the best thing I could possibly do as a beginner. Perspective is basically cinematography for art so I'm starting there.

My biggest concern is being able to draw on model.

For example, if I wanted to spec a Futurama episode I'd like to draw a couple board sequences from my spec script. If I have that in my portfolio I'd want the drawings to match the Futurama style and I have no idea how long it'll take me to just look at a cartoon & understand how to copy the style accurately
>>
File: jgriebel_001.jpg (653KB, 1600x1236px) Image search: [Google]
jgriebel_001.jpg
653KB, 1600x1236px
>>2912484
> What I mean is that whatever you want your "thing" to be, you should be "just doing it"

I agree with you but my "thing" is writing not art. I'd like to use art as a marketing tool to get my name out there(visuals sell easier than words) and to stand out from the crowd.

So I'd rather do X hrs of drawing daily and spend the rest either screenwriting or writing comic ideas.

Great points you bring up though and if you think 4rs a day is enough to see results I'd be thrilled to just be good enough to execute.
>>
>>2912488
I imagine animators would be the ones doing the storyboarding for animation, especially since it's more dependent on the characters' body language and expressions. There's also model sheets that explain the proportions and do's/do not's, so if you can find one that is online then you might understand it better.

It might be better to focus on storyboard for tv or film.

Anyways, for figure stuff try out Vilppu's material. I've personally only gone through his Drawing Manual which is excellent, but I also hear he does amazing lecture videos. He'll be very good for what you want.
>>
>>2912491
One way to take his advice is to just carry around a sketchbook with you everywhere. When you're on the bus or sitting at a cafe or waiting at the doctor's office you can sketch the rooms and people around you. Doing this will help bring in more natural and believable qualities to your drawings as well as probably help with your writing too as you are observing how people behave in an unscripted environment.
>>
>>2912492
>I imagine animators would be the ones doing the storyboarding for animation
Not the case.

I mean, the people doing the storyboards are probably animators by trade but they're not the animators for the produciton.
>>
>>2912497
I meant more that they were specifically trained in animation. Makes sense they would not do both on the same project though.
>>
>>2912481
>You can develop a lot in 2 years, certainly to this level

Is that through mostly imaginative drawing or does that require realist stuff too?

It took Firez like 4+ years to get semi-good and he only does 3-4hrs a day. Not sure if it's possible to hit that in 2yrs but I'm not good either so my opinion is horse shit
>>
>>2912514
>Is that through mostly imaginative drawing or does that require realist stuff too?
Do both.

>It took Firez like 4+ years to get semi-good and he only does 3-4hrs a day. Not sure if it's possible to hit that in 2yrs but I'm not good either so my opinion is horse shit
He's not learning in the optimal way and he's also focusing on different things than OP wants here.
>>
>>2912517
Very good point. So what would you call the optimal way for cartoons/boards? Obviously perspective, but also just copying other cartoons & practicing volumes?

The usual optimal way on /ic/ seems to be cloning realism as hard as possible. But Proko's kanga incident proves that isn't really optimal for cartooning
>>
>>2912538
It's very specialized not a lot of people here actually into storyboarding for film/animation to give credible advice. Mostly aspiring illustrators. Wait for the few animation students to chime in, there are a few that lurk.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.