[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do anime stylized eyes that look disproportionately large

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 11

File: 4234.png (710KB, 878x878px) Image search: [Google]
4234.png
710KB, 878x878px
Why do anime stylized eyes that look disproportionately large look decent sometimes, yet horrible and close to symbol drawing in other times? Is there something I'm missing after studying realistic eyes/placement?
>>
>>2912214
Example plz
>>
>>2912214
All the facial proportions are modified to make the large eyes work.
The eyes are only extended vertically and usually have the same width as real eyes, keeping them still somewhat based in reality.
>>
>>2912214
Some artists are good at drawing anime style where even though the eyes are huge everything still works, while other artists clearly struggle with the high level of stylization. Chris Hart is a good example of an artist that can't nail the anime look very well
>>
File: manga comparison.png (3MB, 5148x1080px) Image search: [Google]
manga comparison.png
3MB, 5148x1080px
>>2912214
Anime/Manga style is prone to being interpreted as "muh style" and in a lot of cases it's true unfortunately, especially among Shonen mangas (for kids) that are expected to release 14-20 pages on a weekly basis.

The nature of the business is also a bit responsible for the incestual evolution of the style because Shonen is simply where its at. The market is pretty always going to be there and it consists of a bunch of kids that havent had the chance to develop taste yet so they will happily gobble it up.

I've provided a few examples two of which are of the Seinen(for adults) category namely Vinland Saga and Kingdom

There is usually a lot more crosshatching going on and the drawing out of facial features like wrinkles, cheekbones but I think the main reason is to make it look more dark and gritty.

A big difference is usually the release schedule aswell, Vinland Saga has a monthly release schedule which gives it a clear advantage, Kingdom however is a bit of an outlier with lots and lots of characters, battles, landscapes being drawn on a weekly schedule!
It is a lot more stylized and has a very unique artstyle with ridiculous faces all over the place, it is however consistent with the shapes 90% of the time.

Then we get to Hunter X Hunter which admittedly is one of the worst examples of Shonen because the creator is just a depressed broken individual who shouldnt have been given a chance in the first place. Even on his good days it doesnt have much going for it.

Shokugeki no Soma (Food Wars) you might've heard of, it clearly has shonen aesthetics but there is an awareness of fundamentals at the very least. If you're not aware of what it is it is a sort of "battle manga" (defeat stronger and stronger opponents to finally have a showdown with the big boss) but it's about cooking. And lots and lots of fanservice.
>>
>>2912214
chinese cartoons are symol drawings.
>>
File: chris hart.jpg (572KB, 2477x3500px) Image search: [Google]
chris hart.jpg
572KB, 2477x3500px
>>2912214
cause the rest of the pic is stylized too? what a weird question
>>2912246
chris hart is a god ;)
>>
File: 1469403242925.jpg (403KB, 649x838px) Image search: [Google]
1469403242925.jpg
403KB, 649x838px
>>2912214
when it looks good = the artist understands anatomy and is skilled and is making a stylized representation of the human form
when it looks bad = the artist is symbol drawing and is just drawing blobs on a page and isn't thinking in terms of 3d forms
>>
>>2912372
jesus this is disgusting
>>
>>2912372

this guy made it, he's a best selling author :)
>>
>>2912418
>guy
It's a girl, her name is Katy Coope.
>>
>>2912366
someone doesnt like togashi :^)
>>
>>2912214
"symbol drawing" is only a mistake if you are a beginner. A pro can break the rules.
>>
File: Untitled.png (200KB, 1082x580px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
200KB, 1082x580px
>>2912219
>All the facial proportions are modified to make the large eyes work.
The eyes are only extended vertically and usually have the same width as real eyes, keeping them still somewhat based in reality.

This^^^

There's a general formula to this also.
>The space between the eyes is usually always equal to the width of the eye that turns away from the viewer.
>The front of the head should be about three eyes wide
>The ratios between the nose eyes and mouth should remain the same as what you'd use for a regular head.

Almost all stylized faces keep the ratios of the eyes and mouth area grouped separately. But the spaces between forms tend to be the same, no matter what. most people understand how easy it is to make an aesthetic face.

There's a reason why anime looks the way it does, it's designed to be simple to animate by people who come from fine art background. it's the japanese equivalent of calarts style.
>>
>>2912495
>nose eyes and mouth

nose, mouth, and CHIN, my apologies. I'm not native english speaker
>>
>>2912441
Is she cute?
>>
>>2912214
Feel the form, fgt.

Not memeing, you have to draw the rounded form of the eyes and wrap your lids around that. If you don't have this idea while drawing, it will turn out as a flat symbol.
>>
File: chris hart.jpg (16KB, 380x300px) Image search: [Google]
chris hart.jpg
16KB, 380x300px
>>2912384
what's the matter, anonymous?
>>
>>2912495
you do realize the proportions depends on the entire head right? your faces right now r beginner tier for portions. something i would do in highshool. you need to think about the whole head not just parts of it bro f am
>>
>>2912384
better than 50% of /ic/
>>
File: IMG_3546.jpg (897KB, 2448x1584px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3546.jpg
897KB, 2448x1584px
>>2912441
Holy shit I had her how to draw manga book like 12 years ago
>>
>>2912669
Yo if THIS shit can get published I could fucking make a how to draw manga book
>>
File: 9780439585606_mres.jpg (107KB, 800x955px) Image search: [Google]
9780439585606_mres.jpg
107KB, 800x955px
>>2912441
There's another one!
>>
>>2912669
that's actually pretty good
>>
>>2912366
The irony of HxH having the most interesting and fun scene out of these examples. I like that he doesn't use lots of boring screentones like the others, going for a balance of black and white instead.
>>
>>2913095
lolwut
>>
File: Doll-Photography-by-Michelle-06.jpg (26KB, 640x425px) Image search: [Google]
Doll-Photography-by-Michelle-06.jpg
26KB, 640x425px
>>2912644
it's a shit example but the ideas are there, no?
If you come from realistic background the anime heads seem swollen.
if you look at the mouth area, it's actually really uncanny if you think about it. giant engorged heads to accomodate the massive eyeballs.

stop me if i'm not making sense. we use this logic to create models for 3D anime like final fantasy.
>>
>>2912669
>>2912675
yeah i got this manga book in the book catalogue as a kid. Luckily my friend borrowed it and I forgot about it so I never got into drawing with it.

sad thing is if you look up her current works, it's very similar but still not very good. Her style is stuck in mid 2000s white people draw anime style
>>
>>2912214
because sometimes they are symbol drawing. Even if you distort the proportions there are still a lot of subtle details that need to be taken into account. People who can't draw a normal eye properly from a certain angle can't draw a distorted one either.
>>
>>2912495
>There's a reason why anime looks the way it does, it's designed to be simple to animate by people who come from fine art background. it's the japanese equivalent of calarts style.

Complete nonsense considering the style developed first in manga where animation wasn't a concern.
>>
>>2912214
Draw them just like real eyes, only bigger. They look cute sometimes because they are a neotenous feature
>>
>>2912366
>Then we get to Hunter X Hunter which admittedly is one of the worst examples of Shonen because the creator is just a depressed broken individual who shouldnt have been given a chance in the first place. Even on his good days it doesnt have much going for it.
Really? I only watched the anime, but all the manga pages I've seen that aren't blatantly lazy shitscribbles seem to show above average skill, even if it's not hyper-rendered in the way something like berserk is.
>>
>>2913782
>Complete nonsense considering the style developed first in manga where animation wasn't a concern.
Contemporary manga style is based in disney where animation was a concern.

manga existed before anime true, but if you look at 'manga' art in the days before Osamu Tezuka it's all just very cultural woodblock youkai stuff. but once westernization became a thing, Tezuka was the one who really lay the foundation for the visual style. anime only started looking similar to OP sometime in the 60's.
>>
>>2912495
>eyes have same width as real eyes, tgey are just extended vertically
>head is 3 eyes wide
Really assembles your raspberries
>>
File: 1490495000438.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1490495000438.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
At what point is big too big?
>>
>>2914736
When you can't get it out without prolapsing
>>
>>2913363
well then you're not really dealing with proportions then. this goes more in the line of just stylistic choice. proportions deals with things at a larger scale. if youre only aiming at specific parts. thats just a choice.
>>
>>2914729
Disney's visual style was derived from comic strips and other children's illustrations. In other words, again, complete nonsense because the style was developed from a static medium.
>>
>>2912670
No you couldn't because you don't draw, you procrastinate and shitpost.
>>
File: OH MY GOD.jpg (32KB, 404x419px) Image search: [Google]
OH MY GOD.jpg
32KB, 404x419px
>>2912372
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.