[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I be using stabilizers for Photoshop? I'm still at

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (75KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
75KB, 1280x720px
Should I be using stabilizers for Photoshop? I'm still at an amateurish phase when it comes to digital and it drives me insane how wobbly my lines are on PS, when they're fine on paper.
>>
Depends what kind of style you're going for. If you're going to do art where line work is part of the final piece, look into Lazynezumi. Or use something like CSP for the linework. Otherwise, it doesn't matter.
>>
>>2910771
Try not to use crutches, it's perfectly possible to do good lineart in PS after a bit of practice.
>>
>>2910814

Stabilizing software is not a crutch. It makes linework feel more like working with physical media, not less.
Photoshop can't do clean digital inking all that well because it fundamentally has a flawed brush engine that struggles with long flowing strokes with a nice crisp taper. I don't care if you take the best inker in the world; he's still going to produce better looking linework in Clip Studio than in Photoshop simply because he is working with a superior tool. Yes, you can make nice looking drawings in Photoshop. Particulary if you work with a rough line art kind of style. But super clean inking is best done in other software.
>>
>>2910814
>stabilizer
>crutch
lmao
>>
>>2910814
>stabilizer
>crutch

>>2910771
yes you should if you feel that you lack line control over a terrible surface. fun fact is wacomshits already have default line and pressure stabilizers already in place because digital-to-analog conversion and number of raw samples over time.

if you use linux you can disable them completely though.
>>
>>2910822
This. I recently started using CSP, and it's a world of difference. After over a decade of using a tablet in Photoshop, I can finally create nice clean lines, as if I'm drawing on paper. And it feels completely natural as well.
>>
>>2910771
just download a stabilizer and try it out. lots of artists use them. thought if i were you i'd switch to CSP now rather than later.
>>
>>2910911
so linework in CSP rest in photoshop i take it?
>>
>>2910822
>>2910834
>>2910867
How is the stabilizer not a crutch? The only reason you'd use it is being physically incapable of drawing smooth lines.
>>
>>2911148
By your logic using a ruler is a crutch. Hell, using the shift command to draw a straight line is a crutch. Using perspective grids is a crutch. Using ctrl+z to undo is a crutch.

You're a fucking idiot. Tools are meant to be used, it's why they exist. If you want to make an argument for him possibly having bad drawing form then make the fucking argument and quit trying to say tools are crutches. Of course once he develops good drawing form it still doesn't make the use of tools less valid.
>>
>>2911153
So what is a crutch?
>>
>>2911153
A ruler is kind of a crutch. You should be able to draw reasonably straight lines without it (as that improves your workflow and line quality tenfold). And the only way to learn how to do that is to stop using the crutch.
>>
>>2910892
I think this was phrased poorly. My point was that after drawing with a tablet in Photoshop and never being able to create smooth lines like I can on paper, I can do this effortlessly in CSP.
>>
>>2911148
You don't even know how stabilizer works lmao. It's DICREASE your accuracy. And more important - PS has stabilizer too. Yep, you always use crutch. What a shame. Turn off wacom driver for real drawing experience
>>
>>2911160
How the fuck is a ruler a crutch? If you can draw straight lines that's all nice and well but being able to draw them RAPIDLY to save on time is a perfectly valid use of the tool. Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you have to do it every single time.

>>2911154
A crutch is something allowing you to do something you can't do otherwise. If someone understands perspective using perspective rulers isn't a crutch, it's just about increasing productivity. If someone understands anatomy using a 3D model isn't a crutch, it's just about increasing productivity not having to draw a half a dozen thumbnails to pick a pose and viewing angle.

You elitist purists disgust me. The only thing that matters is the end result and people should use any tools they deem necessary to speed up production and actually be competitive in the market. No one gives a shit if you do it all by hand and all by imagination if it takes you 2-3x longer to do it and thus your prices are 2-3x higher.
>>
>>2911172
Where did you get the idea that drawing a straight line with a ruler takes less time than drawing a straight line without one?
>>
>>2911167
It doesn't at all. I don't know the technical explanation behind it, but either the software or the tablet is oversensitive. It certainly doesn't match my ability to draw on paper.
I suppose it would be interesting if someone would jam a piece of lead into a stylus and draw on a piece of paper placed on top of the tablet in order to make a comparison between Photoshop and traditional media.
>>
>>2911179
>It doesn't at all.
Stabilizer decreasing amount of data from the stylus. It's reducing resolution of strokes.
Yes. The truth is that PS has inner stabilizer too.
>>
>>2911189
It doesn't really change the fact that the end result is inaccurate when not using a stabilizer. I don't know if it's because the nib wobbles or doesn't properly pick up the signals due to the pressure based system used in these styluses, but the lines I get in CSP when using very light stabilization (around 15), are far closer to the results I get when drawing with a pencil on paper.
>>
>>2910771
you should be using a better tablet. stabilizers are mostly a crux: they add nothing of value and make your linework insipid and soulless
>>
whatever works best desu
i personally find that stabilizers make the brush feel laggy but some people swear by them
>>
>>2911326
>they add nothing of value and make your linework insipid and soulless
It's not like you can see the difference. I can draw 10 circles and you will not find which one of them was draw with stabilizer
>>
>>2911331
Stabilizers only lag if you really crank it up. This works fine for inking, but for sketching the stabilizer should be set low enough that you don't even notice that it's on.
>>
>>2911044
i do everything in CSP nowadays (sketch, linework, colors) and only take things to photoshop for post processing/final adjustments. it's all personal preference. it won't hurt you to dick around with programs and plug ins. it's how you learn actually.
>>
>>2912166

Does line work look better in CPS compared to Paint Tool Sai? I can't get the precise and clean lines i prefer on Sai despite having good control on paper. Working with an Intuos btw
>>
>>2910771
never understood the no smooth lines complaints for photoshop, are you sure you guys aren't just shaking like parkinsons? Driver issues? educate me seriously. 21ux user, PS CC
>>
>>2912502
>21ux user
>>
>>2912434
from experience, drawing in CSP feels just like drawing in SAI and my lines look just as good. i felt that SAI was lacking in functions so i tried switching over to photoshop but all my drawings looked like garbage. i tried CSP on /ic/'s suggestion and it really is a perfect marriage of SAI and photoshop and i couldn't be happier.

>>2912502
as someone who started out on SAI, i think photoshop feels clunky and laggy when you draw. i imagine that if you've been drawing on ps since day one you would have no problem. it's people who have to adjust to a new program that complain about the lines, and they either have to grind until it's comfortable or stick to what they're used to. i tried grinding it out for a year and still no dice, so was CSP a good compromise for me.
>>
>>2911148
Well, in that case friction of paper when drawing with pencil is also crutch, because that's basically stabilizer
>>
>>2913287
I've been using Photoshop since the 90s, even if I didn't get a tablet until 2008. It's absolute shit for line art.
Even if you were somehow able to get good lines, the quality of the lines is bad. No matter what settings and brushes you use, they always look fuzzy. You can't make a nice, crisp line, and the only way to get around it is to work at extremely high resolutions.
>>
>>2914610
Using a pencil is a crutch. If you want to make art from scratch, you must first create the universe.
>>
>>2913287
I find it fascinating how its always PS fags who say CSP and SAI are babby tier and people who use SAI and CSP find photoshop hard.
Really makes you think.
>>
my biggest deal with ps is that its extremely intensive on laptops, and that i have to restart sometimes because it won't read pen pressure.
>>
File: smug smug.gif (2MB, 533x300px) Image search: [Google]
smug smug.gif
2MB, 533x300px
>>2914610
>he doesn't create drawings with twigs in the sand and sculpt by smashing rocks together
>>
>>2914625
kind of reassuring to know it's hard even for native photoshop users.

>>2915384
it's really not that much to think about.
>>
>>2915560
try using an older version of ps
>>
What is CSP? Where can I find it?
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.