[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinking about getting a Surface for Photoshop, Blender, programming,

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

Thinking about getting a Surface for Photoshop, Blender, programming, and school work. Can someone who has one tell me if it's worth them money?

Does it run 3D modeling software well?

Does it have a pressure sensitive touchscreen?

Good for digital painting?
>>
>>2910763
>Does it have a pressure sensitive touchscreen?
Cant say much about the other things as i don't have one but the pen is pressure sensitive.
The first 2 models used wacom digitizers the 3 and 4 use a different kind but in the 4 i hear it's pretty decent.
>>
Surface 4 is garbage for drawing in photoshop. My 4 year old levovo laptop is better.
>>
>>2910827
Thanks. Honestly I've never done digital drawing so i didn't know it was the pen that was pressure sensitive

>>2910856
What's garbage about the 4? Should I just get an older model? Or a different computer entirely?
>>
>>2910763
I tested out the surface book at a store and it seemed alright for drawing. I think it'd be best if you could go to a store that has a display model that you could fuck around with and find out for yourself if the pen is up to your standards.
>>
>>2910862
SP4 is fine for painting but not really for linework

t. SP4 owner
>>
>>2910955
I'd assume almost any tablet wouldn't be the best for line work.

Just seems hard to be precise with one of those goofy pens
>>
>>2910763
This artist uses sp4 for all his art:
http://robotcatart.deviantart.com
>>
You can get the Surface Pro 3 for $540 on Amazon
Is the lower price worth it being older than the newer one?
It's not like I'd use it for anything more than drawing
>>
SP4 owner here.

I can't speak to 3D modeling (I have a feeling it's not good, as there is no dedicated graphics card), but you can definitely paint in Photoshop.

The pen is fine, but will take getting used to if you typically use a Wacom tablet. The initial activation force (IAF) is a bit higher, so you have to press just a touch higher to get your stroke to register. This is something that I've gotten used to, but I find myself switching back and forth between my SP4 and my Intuos Pro because of this. I prefer Wacom's pen, and chances are you will too if you have a light touch.

That said, there are a lot of professional artists who do their work on the SP4. The screen will feel a little cramped if you're coming from a decent sized display, but it's beautiful.

If it was me, I'd look at the Wacom MobileStudio Pro if I really needed a mobile art device. Check out the iPad Pro too. People are achieving professional quality work with Procreate. It probably sucks for 3D modeling though.

You could also probably spend $600-$700 on a desktop PC that will run everything better than a SP4.

Just depends how much you need your workstation to be mobile.
>>
3d modelling should be fine, it has nothing to do with the gpu, all modelling is cpu-based.
I used to use z brush on an shitty atom tablet.
Rendering is another matter.

The default SP4 pen tip is shit, but I assume you can get a decent one.
Also, n-trig is infuriating if you are light handed.
Less shit around the edges than wacom, though.

Also, windows is complete garbage on a tablet, and you will have to use a virtual hotkey program for painting to be remotely usable, which cuts down on the real estate even more.

Also, SP4 is fucking heavy as shit and kinda shittily balanced, don't plan on drawing on it without supporting it on something.
Surface book is much lighter, but that is because the morons put 75% of the battery in the fucking keyboard so have fun with that.

tl;dr learn to google and go try it out in a store
>>
I've owned mine for awhile and I'm really enjoying it. I do graphic design, and its perfect for that. I do some painting on it too, I feel like if a tablet was a 10 the surface 4 would be about an 8. if that makes sense. Its a bit harder to get the results, but you can still get them. The portability is the best part for me.I can literally take it and work anywhere. Which is great for meeting with clients. I don't need a printer portfolio.

Prices wise I wish I could have payed less. But I got mine about 8 months ago and they are a lot cheaper now
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.