[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you guys ever draw or paint really elaborate/complex shit

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1e9a91b01d314ec5a3a0bd4f98c750fd.jpg (631KB, 3000x1771px) Image search: [Google]
1e9a91b01d314ec5a3a0bd4f98c750fd.jpg
631KB, 3000x1771px
Do you guys ever draw or paint really elaborate/complex shit for the sake of grinding tech? Been noticing how a lot of my favorite artists work this way, as opposed to doing a bunch of random seperate unrelated bullshit. It seems like the art equivalent of tremolo picking. (i.e. practice that has pleasing results.)
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxn7pIqFl80
>>
>>2902683

Yes, projects are the single best way to improve quickly, because you'll find problems you won't know the solution to and fixing those will allow you to learn and improve. Many people here think that just because they think they understand something, they'll be able to do, but unless you've actually managed to finish it yourself, chances are you don't really know how to. The illusion of knowledge is a real thing.

I like doing 5 to 10 hour long projects for Perspective/Construction, although I am fairly new. Today I am starting one of those assignments. I'll make 20 thumbnails of Warehouses from reference to learn how they are put together, and then I'll make one large Warehouse using concepts of composition. Sounds silly, but I really think this is the best way to learn, imo. It's what they would make you do in school.
>>
>>2902867
>>2902867
that sounds like a lot of hard work, good luck
>>
>>2902683
Yeah I do, point is I also really want to post my work as much as I can to build a following and doing bigger projects results in generally better looking pieces.
>>
>>2902875

Thanks Anon, you too.
>>
>>2902867
you could argue that's what you do if you already have a foundation in most things (perspective, composition, view angle, ect.) but without this important background information, you are just forcing yourself to polish a turd for the sake of trying to learn multiple things at a time. In that case, it's better to do frequent, small studies till you know what the hell your doing before hammering out an X hour piece and potentially stunting your fundamentals
>>
>>2902889
I agree with your general point, but at the same time I think it's important, whether as a beginner or experienced artist, to push yourself in trying to make an image a bit beyond your capabilities like that. It's how you grow. He can do both normal small studies and bigger pieces like that.
>>
>>2902889

I agree, I've also been grinding Scott Robertson's techniques for moving around 3D space. But as soon as I individually practiced the most important ones, I went straight into making a bigger study or piece.
>>
File: Roberto Ferri.png (1MB, 1000x1574px) Image search: [Google]
Roberto Ferri.png
1MB, 1000x1574px
>>2902893
I agree with your point, It's important to push yourself to grow. But when I was diving head first into doing master studies when I was worse than I currently am, I got pretty zesty when the gap was so large and what I knew was so little that it felt like just wasted time looking up thing after thing and not really processing it. I think there's a fine line here that needs to be balanced for the best outcome. Just a note to the excited and adventurous
>>
>>2902899
good work anon. Godspeed! I know you're gonna make it. Make me proud son
>>
>>2902908

Thanks Anon! I wish you good luck too!
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.