/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what you are saying is If I draw everyday whatever shit,

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7

So what you are saying is

If I draw everyday whatever shit, I will get good just because I draw?

If it's really that simple, why aren't there more good artists?
>>
not just draw
STUDY
>>
>if it's really that simple

it's not

sorry bub :^(
>>
>>2896577
>If I draw everyday whatever shit, I will get good just because I draw?
Drawing everyday is a good habit, but no, just drawing "whatever shit" won't neccessarily get you to get better or good.
>If it's really that simple, why aren't there more good artists?
1. It's not that simple for a lot of people. Or maybe simple in principle, but not easy.
2. There are a lot of good artists.
>>
>>2896579
>>2896582
dunno, so far I've heard "just draw" or "it's better to do anything than nothing"
>>
>>2896583
anything is better than nothing wtf
studying(by drawing)>>>>>>>>>just drawing>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>nothing
>>
>>2896587
wasting your time on working when it doesn't give anything in the end isn't good aswell

"just drawing" is worthless.
>>
>>2896583
Well yeah, that's true. It's what people will tell you when you're not doing anything, because you're hung up on some theory or whatever.
It's like people in school telling you "just study/learn" to get better grades. The act of studying obviously encompasses it's own challenges and different tasks, but it's still good advice, when you're not doing anything yet because you're overthinking it. Learning by doing etc.
>>
Just drawing isn't worthless as long as you try to keep things in mind like maintaining proportions and not chicken scratching. You're still training your arm and your brain.
>>
>>2896577
Yes it's that simple but you should draw critically and with a goal in order to improve.
>>
File: comparison-kb.jpg (196KB, 607x522px) Image search: [Google]
comparison-kb.jpg
196KB, 607x522px
a lot of people don't have the patience to draw a lot, especially when they're new to it/bad at it, and especially when they're older, so people who haven't already invested a bit of their time and identity to art rarely pick it up, like any other hobby.

look at kate beaton, she wasn't really an artist to begin with, and she didn't try to learn how to draw better, but drawing comics everyday actually improved her lines/faces/silhouettes
>>
File: help.jpg (8KB, 250x201px) Image search: [Google]
help.jpg
8KB, 250x201px
Learning the fundamentals isn't about grinding, ie drilling something into your head, because you can internalize a lot of bad habits by forcing them into your muscle memory 16 hours a day. It requires a lot of dedicated thinking and deliberate practice. Even then, just because you've learned the fundamentals doesn't mean your art is going to be interesting or communicate anything profound because artists with good fundamentals are a dime a dozen these days and it takes a lot to stick out.
>>
File: reddit.png (25KB, 310x310px) Image search: [Google]
reddit.png
25KB, 310x310px
>>2896616
Looks about exactly the same and she still isn't funny.
>>
>>2896577
Drawing is a skill. You get better at it by study and practice.
>>
>>2896577
My advice is if you see something and you don't want to draw it because it looks hard, draw it until you get it right then draw it ten more times and move on to the next thing.

Also get out of your house, even walking around the park will create new perspective in your mind. You will need to create a perspective free from the internet if you want a chance of standing out instead of recycling other artists ideas without adding anything new to it.
>>
File: Drifty shit eating wink.jpg (20KB, 500x221px) Image search: [Google]
Drifty shit eating wink.jpg
20KB, 500x221px
>>2896577

>Be 160 IQ genius
>Draw random shit you like
>Figure it out all because you're smart as fuck and your ability to connect ideas and arrive at conclusions is out of this word, along side your manic state of mind, you are pretty much set up for success whether you like it or not
>Git gud incredibly fast

>Be 115 IQ Average sharpie
>Draw random shit you like
>Learn some here and there but your progress is not that good
>Sit down and study
>Apply concepts
>Take stimulants if necessary

>Git gud fairly fast

>Be 80IQ potato
>Muh art bix noox
>Call yourself Illastrat
>Draw shit
>Act smug
>Never lever
>Do meth
>Books, what are those!??
Basically, if you're not a genius, go get yourself a prescription for Modafinil, Selegline, L-Dopa and Cabergoline and enjoy the manic ride into greatness because truly, there's no other way.
>>
>>2897017
I think IQ tests are bullshit imo. Better know obscure info or you're a moron.
>>
>>2897022

>>2897022

You might think that, but IQ is still the best predictor of success we have. It's not a nice idea to believe people are born with advantages, but it seems to be the truth and it explains reality quite well. I mean, there's a reason why 1% of the world has a much wealth as the resting 99%, there's also a reason why you won't see a Quantum Physicists with Down Syndrome. At least with modern medicine, if you're a willing to sacrifice years of your life, you can drug yourself up into a robot like productivity levels.

>Better know obscure info or you're a moron.

Who out of my three models do you think would learn that obscure info quicker? And what do you mean by obscure info?
>>
>>2897027
Oh, nevermind. I've taken a multitude of IQ tests and some had questions instead of pattern matching. I guess I know which ones were ad bait now.

I can admit when I'm wrong. I retract my previous statement.
>>
File: 1433321069829.jpg (70KB, 544x646px) Image search: [Google]
1433321069829.jpg
70KB, 544x646px
>>2897027
>the reason 1% of the world has much wealth as the resting 99% is they all have a really high iq
>>
>>2896577

There are many things you should be doing, but time isn't something that you can just circumvent.
The idea is that mileage will increase your mental stamina, it is implicit that you become more thoughtful as you progress because you've been through the rounds so many times and through experimentation you have picked up many troubleshooting skills and tools to produce something that becomes increasingly coherent.

Alternatively, you go the thoughtless route and become the special kind of autist who produces Sonic OC for years without making any noticeable improvements. The reason that there aren't more good artists is this very reason, and the fact that good artists are busy. All you'll find here are bitter rail-riders who rarely ever put pencil to practice, beginners, unremarkable-but-pretty-okay castaways from long since decimated art communities, shills, and washed up has beens.
>>
>>2896577

Look at people at LAS and where it got them. On the other hand, sinix is an example how you can get from shit art to good art by trying different stuff and copying a lot.
>>
>>2899761
wow that's incredibly pricky, most of the stuff on LAS is studies anyway. They're just posting it there for that little bit more exciting incentive.

Besides, there's various posters there that actually got better from d1 to dwhatever
>>
>>2896636
regardless of what the content of her stuff is
I think there is definitelly some change in her drawing

it's not that good of a drawing technically but it gets her (hit or miss) points through.
>>
>>2896577
no. you can read every day and not get smarter. you can study all day and let your eyes glaze over the page and learn nothing. it's applied, deliberate, and effective practice that allows you to improve.
>If it's really that simple, why aren't there more good artists?
it's not that simple but if it were that simple there still wouldn't be more good artists because rarely do people commit themselves to something like drawing all day.
>>
>>2896577
woah OP is trying here.

nice b8 dick fag
>>
What constitutes studying? I like looking at gumroad tutorials and imitating, I sometimes draw objects on my desk but theyre usually really bad and I don't do it very often.
>>
>>2897027
genius IQ and conscientiousness, being able to dedicate yourself to continuous practice and study, don't go hand in hand. art is more like manual labour and isn't always very stimulating. I could see a real genius getting bored as fuck and just going to play the stock market instead of wasting his time with something as pointless as art, unless he's passionate about it. seriously you can't just IQ ride your way to do anything you want.
>>
>>2900209
art books, perspective made easy, loomis is highly recommended, video tutorial, gathering references and trying to replicate them, getting in to a community of some sort, taking classes, live studies. etc.
>>
>>2900218

IQ and Industriousness are not opposites. You can have both, and those who have the two are in the top.
>>
>>2900252

do you reckon that kim jung gi is a genius?
>>
>>2900267

I don't know much about the guy, to be honest. He has an uncanny ability to understand and execute spatial drawings with a lot of detail, but whether that's a result of pure practice or some super developed brain part is not clear to me. Do we have access to his earlier stuff? like, beginner level?
>>
>>2900237
Fair enough, cool if I post a piece and see if I am doing okay. Only been getting into drawing for around two years.
>>
>>2900270
I mean is that someone who you'd consider the top of the art bizz? I would but it's just someone I personally admire and who's work I find interesting.
yeah he's improved a lot and seems to continue making steady improvements.
>>
>>2900277
go for it
>>
>>2900278

Yes, I consider Kim jung gi to be one of the big ones, even if he covers more of a niche area that might require some type of genetic/developmental issue/phenomenon (sort of like the autistic people who can perfectly render city landscapes to detail from memory after spending some minutes flying around in a helicopter).

I don't know many top artists, I am fairly new to the craft and my obvious choices are probably going to be judged as unoriginal, but I think Feng Zhu is a very good model of what someone with both fairly high IQ and Industriousness can achieve, the same goes for Scott Robertson. I too find Kim jung gi's work to be amazing.
>>
File: druidlady.jpg (3MB, 3508x4961px) Image search: [Google]
druidlady.jpg
3MB, 3508x4961px
>>2900281
>>
>>2900292
really nice colors anon
>>
>>2900313
Nice to hear considering I know nothing about colour theory.
>>
>>2899761
Who did Sinix copy?
>>
>>2900287
>Feng Zhu
>high IQ
What is this judged off of?
>>
>>2900329
IQ being the number one predictor in overall success in life. that's all.
>>
>>2900342
But how did you know Feng had a high IQ?
>>
>>2900342
I thought IQ was essentially the predictor in an individual recognizing patterns much better so I don't think it means overall success in life. But it probably does help a lot to have a high IQ when painting.
>>
>>2900346
I mean that's what the other anon is basing his theory on. I think it's too speculative and geniuses would consider donkey work like art beneath them.
>>
>>2900329
>>2900342
>>2900346

Strikes me as obvious when you listen to him speak, the ideas and preoccupations. He definitely has an intellectual curiosity for the world that is rare to find on people of average IQ. I am not claiming he is a genius, but he's not average either.
>>
>>2900349

Why would a genius disregard art? Art is a process to know oneself, and I mean our true self as a biological machine and not just the voice in our head trying to make sense of it all. I only have anecdotes, but it seems to be the most intelligent of us do have a propensity to find beauty in music/art. Maybe I am wrong.
>>
>>2900354
I'm not talking about an interest in art, surely smart people like art and like making art, but I think it takes a special type of person and temperament to really stick with you, just the vibe I get.
I'd also imagine geniuses being far too pressured by their schools and peers to pursue fields in the sciences and humanities once it was obvious they were far above their peers to really stick with art.
>>
>>2900361

I see what you mean, I too think that might be the case.
>>
Okay here's the real situation. When it comes to art you are training your eyes your mind and your hands. Training your hands is the easiest task. Your eyes come second and your mind is the hardest. You train your hands by drawing and painting. How easily can you draw a line or paint a specific stroke ?

You train your eyes by being able to spot differences and changes in on one area compared to the other. This happens naturally the more you draw. I'm talking changes in spacial relationships, form, values, color ect. Basically how accueately you can differentiating things.

Lastly Is your mind. The hardest and absolutely the most neglected aspect of art. This deals with memory and understanding spacial relationships. You don't need this to make decent art but you must be a master of this to be a great artist.

Your IQ has nothing to do with how successful you will be in art. Anyone who tells you that is fucking retarded. You take in with your eyes. Your mind seasons it with your own ideas and your hands create it. Most artists go from step one straight to step three. Great artists linger in step 2
>>
>>2900385

I am pretty sure no one here claimed you need a genius level IQ to be good at art, but rather, that having a high IQ would allow you to learn and apply information faster.
>>
>>2896577
if you are drawing the right things to study , yes if you draw every day you will get better.
>>
>>2900403
>right things to study
Which are what? They're too specific to know. If you could know then every one would be good.
>>
>>2900406

>Perspective (1, 2, 3 and 5 point, reflections, shadows, and X,Y,Z section drawing, draw through)
>Anatomy (including gesture drawing)
>VisCom Sketching (Form construction, focal points, simplification. (Refer to Peter Han) ).
>Paint studies, no lines
>Composition basics
This are all hardwork, and most of the time boring and tedious. Many don't know these skills, and many more wouldn't have the courage to sit down and grind them for hours everyday to get good.
>>
>>2900406
ah but we do know, they're called the fundamentals:
perspective (probably the most fundamental fundamental)
construction/form
gesture
anatomy
value
color
composition

what else? i dunno, those are the main ones
>>
>>2900406
mate if you start drawing you will notice flaws, and maybe lack of knowledge.
Just start drawing. You'll eventually pick you fights with techniques, and it will probably be at the right time too
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.